The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What's the big deal with Google?

by ajurina / April 13, 2006 3:04 AM PDT

I honestly don't get why people drool over Google's stuff. I'm not graphic artist, but I'm pretty sure that Google doesn't employ one either. Almost all of their web apps looks like they caught fire and somebody put it out with an axe. Gmail is ugly and for the average e-mail user, very un-intuitive unless you have an hour to sit down and figure out all of the features. In the past, its also been really slow.

Yahoo! has had a calendar for years, as well as webmail. I've seen no need to change from practical to ugly. So tell me, fellow BOL'ers. What's all the hype about?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the big deal with Google?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the big deal with Google?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Totally Disagree
by xfile102 / April 13, 2006 3:59 AM PDT

I think you are missing the point. The very thing you are complaining about is what has made Google the #1 interface and search engine in the world. It IS SIMPLE. Not cluttered and packed with bubbly primary colors and pop-ups (like Yahoo), not packed with shameless self promotion of it's own other products (like yahoo), and EASY to use. Granted, the pages are balnd and white, but this contributes to their completely unlcuttered appearance. This is one of Google's main charms. I do not have to constantly look for the hidden "Close" button on ridiculous automobile ads and Self promoting services that block my screen when they pop up uninvited like Yahoo. As far as the Calendar feature is concerned, I have used Yahoo's for some time and the two calendars are almost IDENTICAL. That is, aside from the technological superiority of the FEATURE SET in Google calendar, Such as iCal integration and XML. That, and Google Calendar seems to know more about what I am doing than I do, even if it is just whaite without fancy ads....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I TOTALLY & UTTERLY AGREE!
by AndyInTN / April 13, 2006 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Totally Disagree
Collapse -
simple
by firestarter / April 13, 2006 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Totally Disagree

simple mean to me that they are lazy. and why when i delete a message do i have to go back to the main messge page why cant i go the the next message.

Collapse -
Above all else, it works
by rtemp / April 13, 2006 4:10 AM PDT

Google has a tendency to create a vision and push with it. Who was first to offer 1GB of email storage? Google. They caused a tremendous ripple effect that increased storage capacities all over the net, making webmail clients much more capable than before. I found gmail to be straightforward, and figured out how to do the important things in 10 minutes or less.

I don't see gmail interface (or and Google interface) as ugly. It is minimalist and organized, which is pretty much the motto of Google. Google doesn't believe in pretty graphics because they slow things down.

I have never had an issue with a Google product (except Google video, but that's different).

That's how I feel.

-Ryan

Collapse -
What is hilarious...
by ajurina / April 13, 2006 4:44 AM PDT

...is how people rag on Yahoo about pop-ups and Ads. What?!! You still get pop-up ads? That's just plain funny.

As far as a minimalist feel: Sure its simple, but that's not what makes google popular. Google is google because they've succeeded in indexing the entire web universe and got there doing it first. Part of what makes Apple popular is the aesthetics and attention to creative design. There's nothing NOT simple about Yahoo or Hotmail for that matter, so again I ask, what is it that makes Google the "whoop-di-doo" company that makes people wet their slacks everytime there's an new Beta out.

Btw, you forgot another Google success story: Google Talk.

Collapse -
A bit more
by rtemp / April 13, 2006 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: What is hilarious...

Good point on the pop-ups, but some sites do manage to get them to slip through my pop-up protection.

I didn't mention Google Talk because I've never used it.

I haven't used Yahoo things very much since all of my needs and wants have always been covered elsewhere. Hotmail on the other hand, despite its improvements over the years, sucks. Okay, things are straight forward, but that's it. I have issues daily with things taking too long to delete and/or move to my junk folder. Also, I don't like logging in and then having to click something else to actually get to my mail. Not to mention that finding specific old mail is a nightmare, unlike gmail where I can easily search everthing.

-Ryan

Collapse -
Innovative and FREE
by alpabarot / April 13, 2006 6:20 AM PDT

Google deserves the buzz and admiration. They are creating or buying innovative software AND giving it away for free.

While Gmail isn't the best looking kid in class it was the first to offers tons of disk space. The only compaint I have is the invitation only subscription.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.