Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

What's the best website to buy a new computer from?

by coreth5 / September 17, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

I desperatly need a new computer and have no desire (nor ability) to build my own. I was going to buy a Dell, but a friend told me about Cyber Power Inc, however their reviews suck. I've also check Ibuypower.com and Monarch computers, which is the best website to buy a decent computer from? Thanks for any help, this is driving me crazy
Coreth5

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the best website to buy a new computer from?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the best website to buy a new computer from?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
list of some
by AKonny47 / September 17, 2005 1:45 AM PDT

velocity micro has great pcs, not just high end gaming ones but budget ones.
emachine has descent amd pcs
gateway makes great pcs
voodoo has good pcs for lots of money
shuttle, what i would personally buy makes good pcs
alienware makes good budget pcs except you pay more for it.
pollywell(sp?) has good pcs
monarch is a great builder
hp makes good pcs

...pretty much any "oem" pc maker is good in this day.

konny

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) abs, overdrive is also good
by nerdyboy1234 / September 17, 2005 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: list of some
Collapse -
what do you have in mind?
by linkit / September 17, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

Is this a general question or can you narrow it to a specific purpose?

gaming, business, programming, CAD, video editing, graphic design, desktop publishing, media center, general use, limited use (writing & browsing), etc.

Collapse -
gaming
by coreth5 / September 17, 2005 4:06 AM PDT

I want a new computer for gaming, but it doesn't need to be too high end. Fable is a game I's like to play, for instance. Thanks
Coreth5

Collapse -
Builds Your Own?
by damasta55r / September 17, 2005 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: gaming

If not monarchcomputer.com, or check out the hp a1130n or emachines t6522 and upgrade those pcs to suit your needs

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) so monarch computer would be best?
by coreth5 / September 17, 2005 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Builds Your Own?
Collapse -
d00d, same problem
by ikjadoon / September 17, 2005 10:11 AM PDT

i am stuck between Monarch and iBuypower. Ibuypower has lower prices, but Monarch supposedly has better support, etc. Does anyone here have any expeirence on any of these companies. Hope I'm not hijacking thise thread, lol.
-Ibrahim

*CNET Help Forums need an edit button!!

Collapse -
i hear you
by coreth5 / September 17, 2005 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: d00d, same problem

I've been looking though quite a few of these websites and I don't know what to think. For what it's worth, I personally suspect Monarch is better, but ibuypower is cheaper, so I don't know. If you hear anything, let me know
Coreth5

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i like abs but dont know about what reviews it may have
by nerdyboy1234 / September 17, 2005 11:08 AM PDT
In reply to: i hear you
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) same here
by ikjadoon / September 17, 2005 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: i hear you
Collapse -
ABS COMPUTERS: NOT RECOMMENDED
by klinejp / November 7, 2005 11:30 AM PST

I have had horrible experiences of late with ABS computers. I was a long-time customer, and had great luck with them prior to the last year... I bought a high-end notebook and workstation from them about a year ago... The notebook died within months of purchase... needing a bios and hard drive replacement. The workstation experienced motherboard failure almost immediately (related to a faulty USB port that seems to be endemic to the ASUS motherboard that was shipped with the unit). To their credit, they replaced the computer... but its now a year later, and the computer went up in smoke yet again! The company is dragging its feet with repairs (the thing croaked over a week ago).... needless to say they won't replace the computer (even though it is abundantly clear that the product is defective). In the past year, the computer has been non-functional for over a month! The company is utterly unapologetic, and utterly unresponsive to repair requests. I heard a rumor that they are going under... is their any truth to this?

Collapse -
I would like to know as well
by cmdoheny / November 14, 2005 3:39 AM PST

I'm thinking of buying the ABS Mayhem G4 A78. I can't find any reviews of ABS notebooks on CNET unless I go back to 2004. What is the reputation of this company?

Collapse -
well i'm not sure bout their notebooks
by nerdyboy1234 / November 14, 2005 7:09 AM PST

but their desktops seem good.

Collapse -
I have an ABS from 2000
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 14, 2005 1:10 PM PST

I didnt have a problem with ABS machines. I got an ABS from 2000 and never had any problems with it. It even came with a 20 ich CRT which works to this day, but I replaced it with a 19 inch LCD. The system had a P3, and worked fine until a coupke of months ago when I got broadband, and the whole system was infected with spyware. That was my fault for not having anything to protect it. The system works great, but I replaced it because I needed a more current computer. I even have 2 removable hard drives on it. I find ABS to be great PC builders.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!