General discussion

What's the best Web free hosting service out there?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good free web hosting site? I did a Google and there seemed to be hundreds, each claiming to be the best. Any one I should try out and / or avoid?

By the way, do these sites allow me to use my own domain name (www.mysitename.com / net / whatever) ? I read somewhere that you have to register and pay for it. Is this true?

Warm regards to everyone,

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What's the best Web free hosting service out there?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What's the best Web free hosting service out there?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you have

If you have a domain name and are trying to sell products, then I would recommend that you pay for a company to put your website on.(It's a business expense)(tax deductable)

If you have a business, then you can either design your own website or have someone do it for you.(another business expense)(tax deductable)

The search engines don't search the free websites. If you use a company to host your website, then they have their computer online and they usually have decent security measures.

Make your website simple. Use words more than flash objects. The crawlers can read the words. Make it load quickly. People hate to wait for a page to load.

And check your coding. Put your URL here and check for errors

http://validator.w3.org/

Hope this helps.

- Collapse -
Non 1&1 -- horrible service

I've done some work with a number of the web hostesting services....and I can clearly say... avoid 1&1. I've been trying to cancel for about 2 months and still getting charged. poor service and horrible customer service. avoid my mistake.

- Collapse -
This one is highly rated and works great in my experience.
http://www.100webspace.com/freeplan.html

You get 100 megs of space and 3 gigs of bandwidth, the control panel is decent and you can use one Domain that you own for free.

They also give you subdomains like:

http://pixma.webpal.info

They do have a small banner.

Overview
Absolutely FREE
Data storage: 100 MB
Monthly bandwidth: 3 GB
Hosting for 1 domain
5 subdomains
Small banner

E-mail Features
3 POP3 accounts
3 Email aliases
SpamAssassin protection
E-mail filters
Webmail service
POP3 access
Catch-all emails
Email forwarding
Email autoresponder

Statistics
Webalizer statistics
Detailed bandwidth stats

Misc Features
FrontPage extensions
SSL with certificate generation
SSI (Server Side Includes)
Web-based file manager
Advanced Control Panel
Instant account activation
Easy upgrade options

Customer Support
Free 24/7 technical support
Extensive online documentation
Integrated ticketing system

Scripting and Database
Perl enabled
PHP enabled
1 MySQL database
5 MB MySQL database storage
PHPMyAdmin
Over 3500 Perl modules

OS and Backup
Stable Linux with Apache
RAID secured data storage
UPS & diesel backup generator

Server and Connection
Dual P4 XEON 2.8GHz with 1GB RAM
2x120GB HDD's in RAID
100 MBits connection per server
2.5 GBits connection to the Data Center
99.9% uptime guarantee
- Collapse -
What I have

I use Domain Contender http://domaincontender.com. They are very helpful, and they offer Banner ads (very small), Frame ads, or Pop-ups!

Very good site!

- Collapse -
Try Geocities or Geocities Plus

Yahoo! Geocities is a great free web hosting and site making service. All you need is a free Yahoo! account. The free version has ads and no support for a "www.mydomain.com" site. But if you upgrade to Plus for about $5/month, you get no ads and your own domain name.

CNET Forums

Forum Info