HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

What's the best 17" screen laptop?

by allyander / March 14, 2007 4:39 AM PDT

Out of these 3 laptops, which do you think is the best, and why?

Dell XPS M1710

Asus W2Pc

Apple Macbook Pro 17

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's the best 17" screen laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's the best 17" screen laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need More Information.
by Cyborganizer / March 14, 2007 5:12 AM PDT

For example the Dell Precision M90 is much more powerful for 3D video rendering, but the Dell XPS M1710 is better for video games. What features are important? If I was looking for a 17" laptop, I would only buy 17" laptops with 1920x1200 resolution. This is my personal preference. Do you need a powerful video card? I am not sure which video card the ASUS has, but I know the video card in the XPS M1710 is good. The 512MB NVIDIA

Collapse -
ok, thanks well ...
by allyander / March 14, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Need More Information.

I'm looking for a machine that can handle 3D games, and many applications at once so I guess a good video card is important and a good screen resolution. Would you advise upgrading the XPS video card to the 512MB, or is the 256MB good enough? The specs say the maximum memory the graphics card can use is 256MB anyway, so what's the point of the upgrade?

Also, I've been trying to do some research on high definition optical drives. It looks like the Dell XPS M1710 used to have the option of Blu-Ray drive, but since Vista came along you can't choose it as an option over here in the UK because of the compatability issues. But if you look over at the US Dell site, you can buy it with Blu-Ray - you just have to settle for Windows XP. So why don't we have that choice in the UK!? I've heard good things about Asus as a brand, and the W2Pc comes with a HD-DVD drive which is appealing. Which brings up another confusing issue - if I do get a laptop with HD, which is a better option - Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?

thanks for the help

Collapse -
I did not know USA Dell XPS M1710 does not have Vista yet.
by Cyborganizer / March 14, 2007 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: ok, thanks well ...

I do not see the Blu-Ray option though. The Sony AR has a Blu-Ray option. I am not sure which HD disc is better. You might want to wait and see which disc becomes the most popular. The loser will go the way of Betamax. Dell offers two different video cards for the M1710. One is the 7900 GS and the other is the 7950 GTX. I do not know enough to tell you if the 7950 GTX is worth the extra $399.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.