TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What's so good about Mark Levinson?

So I was looking at Aperion Audio's website and on their glossary page a receiver has a pre-amp and an amp in it. ML seems to concentrate on pre-amps and amps, so would it hypothetically be needed if you already have a receiver in place. And to add, would it make the Aperion speakers sound much better? And to re-emphasize my subject question, what is so good about Mark Levinson products? What the hell do they do to audio? Should they be used in the consumer market?

Thanks,

Andre R

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's so good about Mark Levinson?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's so good about Mark Levinson?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THAT QUESTION...................

In reply to: What's so good about Mark Levinson?

YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.

riv.

Collapse -
It has nothing to do with affordability....

In reply to: IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THAT QUESTION...................

I am a college student at the moment. I am trying to learn as much as I can at this point. When I finally get my own place I will decide on how to invest in a good sound system. There are people who buy expensive things but live in the worst neighborhoods. Why you ask? Because they have a passion more for that specific item then their living standards.

Collapse -
Simple terms....

There are many companies that share the "high end" stage with Mark Levinson. Halcro, Boulder, Krell, Meridian, MBL just to drop a few names.

What makes them so good? In simple terms, the sum of all their parts/design.

At this level of equipment, the buyer is looking for a level of performance that will sqeeze every note from a disc. The system should be able to play loud enough to sound live, without straining. Ear fatigue doesn't exsist, you don't have to listen for the music, it comes to you and sounds natural.

A Yamaha, Denon or other receiver offer people a way to have music and movies play back in their homes, at a price point that many can afford. They also know that the average consumer will be happy with the sound, as they usually don't know any better, or wouldn't be able to justify the cost differences.

Just as a Ford Focus or similar is perfectly fine as a way to get around, there are high performance cars out there that are built to offer a better, faster, more luxurious ride. They are built with better parts, better design. More things are done to ensure they are a better car.

High end audio does the same thing.

At this point it becomes a subjective topic.
Many people will claim they wouldn't be able to hear the difference from low end to high end, I think many are too scared of what they might hear, so they don't try.

A top end system can be like a glass of fine wine or a great cigar, it can arouse your senses and take you to that "other" place.

Collapse -
sirround more useless information

In reply to: Simple terms....

I love to go to my local lush budget home theater store Century stero, and check out there billion dollor systems just on of there speakers cost more than my whole home theater set up ha ha it makes me want to cry and sell my stuff at the flea market thats why I call my system just average even thou I have blown about thirteen grand invested "O" to be rich steweeeee

Collapse -
Simple terms....

Highend/esoteric audio is never describe with simple terms.
Surrondsound's use of cars is a good one, but car performace can be easly measured, 3.5sec 0-60, cornering .8g etc.
Now comes the problem, even though very expensive test equptment says the difference between some of the very high priced gear is extreamly, extreamly small,,,, there are thoes who say thay can tell. Or can they?????
It then becomes VERY subjective!!!!
It is easy wander into the "Emporers New Cloths" relm.

I buy very good gear, but I don't buy gear that would force me to eat Peanut butter and jelly for a year. Again this is a personal choice. John

Collapse -
Cars and peanut butter sandwiches...

I know differences in cars can be measured.
I like to use the example only because it's fairly easy to identify with. You don't have to even be a car lover to know that there are plenty of things that go into making one car better than another.

High end audio can get extreemly expensive once you get past a certain level. Sometimes the only way to really appreciate the differences are to play certain types of music, on only the best recorded discs, and in a room that has actually been designed around the system.

Collapse -
Cars, I do like the example, it's a good way to explain.

In reply to: Cars and peanut butter sandwiches...

Yes, there is a point of diminishing returns.
In sound things can work together or not.
The room playes a big part, standing waves, refelctions, etc.
If you only want to play heavy metal music a $10,000 home system is kinda a waste. John

Collapse -
Nothing so far as can tell, but

his sister Rachel is hot !

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!