Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What's Going on With SP-2? Is it really that horrific?

by wgrayson / September 18, 2004 4:38 AM PDT

I've heard two horror stories from work colleagues about SP2 completely devastating them systems--and they are competent, smart users that don't compute dangerously. I'm checking the site here, and I'm seeing either completely successful installations, or installations of SP2 that have had catastrophic results.

Are there other precautions to take before installing it, or there existing PC configurations or programs that aren't compatible with SP-2? This is amazing that this service pack is generating such havoc on its user base.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's Going on With SP-2? Is it really that horrific?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's Going on With SP-2? Is it really that horrific?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What's Going on With SP-2? Is it really that horrific?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2004 4:46 AM PDT

Actually there's a truth here. Those that have trouble will scream the loudest. Those that had no issue don't talk or write much about it.

If a large percentage or even 1% were losing it over SP2, you would see it on the Nightly News.

The havoc from what I'm seeing is not SP2, but the SPYWARE and PARASITES that people allowed on the machines. Since that appears to be true in most cases.... Microsoft has noted it at STEP 3 at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

No one that I know of that followed these steps had an issue they didn't have before Sp2.

In closing, if someone "loses it all" then they just got their lesson about BACKUP.

Bob

Collapse -
by wanness / September 19, 2004 5:57 AM PDT

To further clarify Bob's post, 90% of the people that install SP2 on their computers, and do it in the proper manner, will not see any problems associated with SP2. I have it on four different computers, without a problem, but I followed Bob's advice from the get go.

Collapse -
by John Robie / September 18, 2004 6:49 AM PDT

I do a lot of surfing and from what I have observed, Bob Proffitt is right on.
Seems like SP2 will surely bring out and call attention if something is wrong with your personal home computer. This is a wake up call to many who think their home computer is in good shape.

Course' if you think your home computer is in good shape, do the preload stuff (check Jonah posts on sites) install (I would prefer the CD disk installation) and if problems, remove the installation (couple-3 ways) fix your computer then try again. People think that SP2 broke their computer, but there was something wrong with their computer that caused SP2 to give problems.
It has more than been proven that SP2 will install and operate OK on a 'clean' no problem computer.

Yes, there are some programs that may need adjustment to SP2 and may require patches/fixes from the program originators. MS has also identified some.

I remember when I 1st started using WinXP I had to get patches/fixes for my printer, scanner, and GoBack3 program, plus a lot of my old games would not play with WinXP.

The people that are having problems,and those that are delaying, will eventually install SP2 to get future updates to SP2 as it replaces SP1, and there will naturally be no further updates to SP1. Course' some may just stay with only SP1 from now on, but I personally would not feel safe with the eventual hacking causing more MS updates to security with MS updates to combat.. won't be on the SP1 computer.

There has been no patches/updates to SP2 since I installed Sep 1 with a CD. It seems to me that MS would issue a patch or update on the 'Windows Update' site by now if there was something wrong with the installation on home computers.

Collapse -
by Tom Aikman / September 18, 2004 6:51 AM PDT

Only one issue here. Lost a custom theme. It was easily corrected and really wasn't a big deal. Turned off the security shield also.
Took about as long as SP1 to download and install. Seems to start up a bit slower but my machine still starts up fast.
Didn't follow any steps. All I did is went to WU and got it over with. It seems if you were having problems before the update, SP2 will make it worse.
Never have had any issues with spyware and likes.

Tom

Collapse -
by Yew / September 18, 2004 8:38 AM PDT

I had a one time problem with a single app, and given that it was one time, I'm not so sure it can be directly traced to SP2.

All in all, it's been pretty uneventful for me every time I install SP2. Even created a slipstreamed install CD, no problems with that.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) SP2 Install went Clean&Green w/ increased 'puter speed
by Catgic / September 18, 2004 9:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: What's Going on --Thanks for all your comments
by wgrayson / September 19, 2004 1:34 AM PDT

Thanks for chiming in. Based on your comments, if you have a relatively secure, clean system to start off with, SP-2 is no problem.

And, having good backups is a must.

So, you've answered my my unasked question: I can probably install SP-2 on my machine, but do some SERIOUS debugging on my wife's laptop because I'm sure it's full of spyware!

Collapse -
Installed SP 2 Yesterday....
by Larry38 / September 19, 2004 3:01 AM PDT

I used the CD since I have dialup. Made sure to run all security programs and and cleaned and defraged. Nice smooth install in about 20 minutes, so far all seems fine.
But I will still use Firefox 9.3 most of the time.
Good Luck.
Larry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?