HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

What's going on with my laptop?

by chrisluvsanimals / February 16, 2008 1:44 AM PST

I have both a desktop(Dell Dimension 4500) that's hooked up via a wireless router to my laptop (Dell Latitude D600) and in the last few months, when I'm working on the laptop, (for example) I'll have my email program working(but minimized), a Yahoo program (again, minimized) and I'll be actively working on either another website or doing a virus scan (NIS 2008) and all the sudden, the minimized programs will shut down without warning and without closing them myself. I'm running IE 7 as my operating system. I've never had this happen while I was using the desktop, but since I'm disabled and it's easier for me to use the laptop, it's a real problem to have my open sites close down for what seems to be no reason at all.
Any idea's?
Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's going on with my laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's going on with my laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"IE 7"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 1:54 AM PST

IE 7 is well known to seemingly random closings. Since we can't fix that we try out other browsers like firefox. Sometimes I find changing NIS 2008 to another security suite to help but all that depends on how amiable the owner is to change. Sometimes we have to wait for the owner to stew on the issue before they'll accept the changes.

Bob

Collapse -
Thxs. for the info, but why doesn't it ever disrupt desktop?
by chrisluvsanimals / February 16, 2008 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: "IE 7"

You are correct that I'd have to "stew on it" before making the change on my anti-virus (especially since I just paid to upgrade it), but the other question that I forgot to add in my post is why does it only do this on the laptop, and never on the desktop? They both run Windows XP and IE 7.
Just plain weird I guess.

Collapse -
ME, XP and IE 7.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 2:22 AM PST

That didn't work for me. Back to IE 6.

Collapse -
Why not the desktop?
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2008 3:54 AM PST

Is your desktop WIRED to the router?

A constant wired lan connection is far less susceptible to strange happenings than a wireless connection that can get conflicting interference signals.

Norton security products are quite often involved in these strange happenings. I used to swear by them but that changed, so but a few years back (2002) I switched and now no longer even have to swear AT them.

Collapse -
Laptop has wireless connection
by chrisluvsanimals / February 16, 2008 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Why not the desktop?

No, the laptop doesn't have a wired connection to the router and what you've said about being easily disrupted does happen when my home phone rings. If I'm using the laptop, I either lose my connection if I use or answer my home phone, or I have to use my cell phone so it won't disconnect me.
I'm also beginning to question the quality of the Norton series of antivirus programs. After paying for and downloading the NIS 2008, the laptop will not update the security software or security software updates file(s). Symantec technicians call almost daily to ask if the problem has been fixed (although I've spent over 7 hours with tech support trying to get it fixed), and of course, it still doesn't work correctly. Now they're telling me it's a problem with my ISP, but I'd never had problems with the earlier Norton Internet Security versions, so it has to be something to do with Norton, not my ISP. The whole thing is driving me nuts.
Any idea's on a really good antivirus program I can install on the laptop? I use it MUCH more than the desktop, so it's important to have a very good antivirus program on it.
Thanks to everyone for your imput.

Collapse -
Anti Virus products are a ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 16, 2008 10:20 AM PST

matter of choice as what some like others hate.

I personally like Avast as it is fairly quick (although not the quickest I have ever used), It checks for updates several times a day and the signature file downloads are quick and small.

I use the commercial version which offers a few more "bells and whistles" but the free version uses the same engine.

Others like AVG as it too comes in both free and paid versions.

Neither one is anywhere near as big a resource hog as Norton.

Since both offer free versions you could easily download both, uninstall Norton (sometimes a real pain so it is best to download their manual uninstall tool before hand) then install and use one of the free ones for a while then uninstall it and try the other. When you find the one you like just install it again and if the paid version offers more of what you like go for the paid version.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.