HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What's going on and how do I fix this?

by susqsue / November 27, 2009 9:11 AM PST

This problem just started up last week.

I find that when I use a search engine, usually I use google but it happens with any one I use, and then click on a result from that search, I don't go to the result but to another webpage/search engine site.

example: search terms - cnet forums
results show forums.cnet.com
first time I click on that link and I get up a website for Big Health Tree website. I go back and reclick on the forums.cnet.com link and am routed to Bullz-Eye.com I cannot get to your website from any search engine/results.

When I type in a specific url, it doesn't take me to that url but to another different webpage .

for example... I type in the url bar www.forums.cnet.com
I keep getting a "oops this link is broken" window.
If I just type in forums.cnet.com, I can go to this website.

Other times when I type in a correct url, it won't take me to that webpage but to another that will have search engine results. I click on one of those and I get another different website with results.
Mind you, I'm typing in a url that I know exists (like our phone company's website,) and I know that url is correct because I have no problem bringing it up on my laptop.

What's going on and how can I fix this? I've ran all my maintenance software, defrag, antivirus, spybot and malware programs and they are all saying everything is fine and no infections.
I run Windows XP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's going on and how do I fix this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's going on and how do I fix this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Grif's Advice
by jeff_windows_team / November 27, 2009 3:04 PM PST
Collapse -
What's going on and how do I fix this?
by susqsue / November 27, 2009 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: Grif's Advice

Thanks for responding.

Malwarebytes is the malware program we use, and it's not finding anything when we scan...

any other suggestions????

Collapse -
Grif's advice
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 11:54 PM PST

Includes a second software title. The reason for that is to catch what the other didn't.

Collapse -
what's going on...
by susqsue / November 30, 2009 3:47 PM PST
In reply to: Grif's advice

Sorry for the delay in responding. I did notice the 2nd item right just as I hit the submit button! I don't recall if I mentioned this was happening on my daughter's computer...

After spending a little bit of time on her computer, I see it's also throwing up new browser windows with these ads or undesired web pages although she has a pop-up blocker up and running.

To update... I downloaded the SuperAntispyware program and ran the updates for it. For the past 2 days now we have consistenly updated and ran spybot, malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware as well as Antivirus. All these scans when last ran came up clean with no infections found.

I come online, do a search and get results. The first try I go right to the right website I clicked on. The second search I performed, and from hereon out, I am always sent to a different webpage than the link I click on. I even noticed that it's not always bringing up the correct home page when bringing up a new browser window.
So the problem still isn't fixed yet.

Another thing that we noted earlier tonite was that some vocal ads would sporadically come thru the speakers even when there were no browser windows popping up. My daughter has Skype and had it set to come on at startup as well as our internet connection is made then. I did turn off Skype and changed it so it wouldn't come on when windows started. Since then the vocal ads were no longer filtering through. I don't know if it was doing so thru the Skype or just a coincidence being that they were so sporadic.

Another thing I've done is watched the bottom left corner to see what comes up as I go from one page to another. When I did a search for cnet, came up the the result for the webpage, and the link shows me it's www.cnet.com. Click it and it takes off and takes me, in this instance, to theclickcheck.com. When I look at the "go back" items,
I find from the search results I go to, in this order, shaveking.com ;bridge1.admarketplace.net ; Admarketplace ads ; then to theclickcheck.com.

I realize this is malware, but so far nothing is picking it up or fixing it. Any other suggestions???????

Collapse -
Try this
by sheilakmcd / November 30, 2009 7:27 PM PST
In reply to: what's going on...

I had same/similar problem that no anti-malware program I tried could find. I posted here on the Virus/Security forum and followed Marianna Schmudlach's advice and went here:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?s=e39ad7e237ae123f43517316e44bf4bf&showforum=37

Go to that site, register and start a new thread with a description of the problem and what tools you have run that come up clean. They will talk you through downloading and running various things that first will ferret out where it is hiding, and then get rid of it.

There are lots of posts on their forum with same/similar problems but the tools for finding it and fixing it is not the same for everyone, so don't follow anyone elses instructions. Start your own thread and stick with it.

Collapse -
There are infections that are not malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: what's going on...

Spybot, SAS, MBAM are looking for things other than trojans, virus and such. I know it's hard but today's exploits and infections are so varied that we use a lot of tools to find them all.

But your new post reminds me of a pest that was not found by SAS or MBAM.

But first. I find Spybot to be dated and don't suggest it any longer. It can also result in slow machines due to interactions with some antivirus programs.

-> Let's read about an infection that matches the symptoms you noted.
My neighbor however installed some video viewer and it came with this trojan:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-031816-5114-99&tabid=2

"When the Trojan is executed, it renames %System%\userinit.exe"

This is an older trojan with many new variations so I can't tell if this one is yours. But the symptom matches what you wrote. DETECTION and finding out the name of the infection goes a long way to fixing it.

I fixed too many of these but in a few causes we had to reload the OS since there was no XP CD to fix it with.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.