Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What's for (xmas) dinner?

by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 29, 2004 11:29 PM PST

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps I should say holiday dinner or whatever - I noticed this past Thanksgiving week that a nearby school's marquee showed "Winter holiday" for the kid's week off.

And speaking of Thanksgiving, I had a cheeseburger instead of turkey. And large french fries. Ahh yes the traditional Texas meal. Happy

Used to be we would have turkey for Christmas dinner, sometimes a ham. Then when we got tired of large amounts of leftovers we'd 'downsize' to just a turkey breast or a smaller ham. But probably the best xmas meal I 'member was bacon wrapped filets, huge baked potatoes, red wine, fresh baked bread and then cherry pie. So stuffed the belt came right off, forget the re-notching ! Not exactly healthy, fat-wise, but very comforting.

This year I'll most likely have tacos or something - more 'traditional' Texas fare ! Happy

Rick "survey" Jones

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's for (xmas) dinner?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's for (xmas) dinner?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What's for (xmas) dinner?
by Glenda / November 29, 2004 11:48 PM PST

We try to have Prime rib roast a lot at Christmas. As after Thanksgiving we are pretty sick of Turkey!
Baked potatoes, a nice salad and home made dinner rolls if I am ambitous! LOL
Glenda

Collapse -
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 12:31 AM PST

Hi Glenda,

Sounds great, but what is a 'nice' salad? To me, that means iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and oil/vinegar dressing. I guess I'm not too adventurous when it comes to salads - most people like more stuff in theirs; especially that fancy lettuce that's chock full 'o chlorophyll. Too green for yours truly, and the most veg I usually get is from a can of V8 juice! Happy

Regards,

Rick

Collapse -
Re: the perfect salad
by jonah jones / November 30, 2004 2:32 AM PST

tomato, cucumber, onion, bell? peppers, red and green diced small
broad leaf parsley chopped coarse
long leafed lettuce sliced length ways then chopped cross ways (the idea being to get strips of lettuce 1 1/2-2" by 1/4")
radish finely diced
fresh mint chopped coarse
salt and pepper to taste
oil and lemon juice poured seperately onto the salad
1/4 of a cup of ICE cold water
a light toss of all the ingredients
fridge for 30 minutes
remove from fridge
(if you like mayonaise, add it now)
toss well and serve

bon appetite!

Collapse -
Thanks Jonah,
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Re: the perfect salad

but waaayy too complicated for moi. Really. If I do more than five separate movements in the kitchen it's a red letter day. The only time I get into cooking is BBQ - and that's just fire worship for a pyro like me. :^)

Rick "red coals" Jones

Collapse -
by Glenda / November 30, 2004 2:43 AM PST

cucumbers, tomatoes, all kinds of greens, red onions,
radishes, shredded cheese( Cheddar) shredded carrots
sometimes boiled eggs and sliced black olives!
All topped with bleu cheese:) But here everyone likes a different dressing so I put them all out and they top their own:))
Glenda

Collapse -
I can OD on bleu cheese
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 3:44 AM PST

and it's sorta like being tipsy. Too much roquefort (easy when ya love it) and I have to sit down if I'm standing up, and maybe lie down if I'm sitting! Happy Not on a salad though - I eat it 'straight up', no crackers or other adulterants. Happy Just wine, sometimes.

Rick "mold" Jones

Collapse -
If you love Bleu Cheese Like I do....
by Glenda / November 30, 2004 4:03 AM PST

try it as a dip for crisp French fries:) I use the curly fries and break them to get them real crisp!! Yummy
Glenda

Sure beats catsup:)

Collapse -
Re: If you love Bleu Cheese Like I do....
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 10:48 PM PST

Hi Glenda,

Hmm, well, I meant the actual solid cheese - though sometimes it too is creamy/liquid enough to use as a dip. Sorta. I like regular yellow mustard for fries, sometimes. And black pepper 'stead of salt, sometimes both salt and pepper. The fake butter flavor "popcorn salt" is great on fries, but easy to go overboard on as it sticks so well to the grease. I suppose I use too much salt, and what with most foods being loaded with it already, the pepper is an alternative. And then cheese is salty too... have I bummed you out enough yet? Happy Sorry. Victoria used to get on my 'case' a lot about my salt consumption, and some of it 'got through' - eventually. Happy

Anyhow, I really don't want to know what's bad for me, sometimes. (!)

Rick

Collapse -
Re: If you love Bleu Cheese Like I do....
by Glenda / November 30, 2004 11:17 PM PST

Are you sure we aren't related??? LOL I LOVE SALT!!!
Been told for years that it would send my blood pressure sky high:( Hasn't happened yet!! Happy
BP is 114/60 :)And when I am angry goes up to 116:) LOL
Try the Bleu Cheese on FF's I promise you will love it!!
BTW ever tried salt & pepper on cantaloupes? and cucumbers?? Yummy!
Glenda

Collapse -
Nope, but
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 11:29 PM PST

have you tried pear slices and Stilton cheese? Sounds weird but is a great flavor combo. Victoria popped that on us one time and I was amazed how good it is.

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Nope, but / Yes!! Love it:)
by Glenda / November 30, 2004 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: Nope, but
Collapse -
Me too!
by Evie / December 1, 2004 9:01 AM PST

Marie's Super Bleu should be a controlled substance Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ill be there yummy
by Mark5019 / November 30, 2004 12:33 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) ill be there yummy
by Glenda / November 30, 2004 2:44 AM PST

Welcome! Drive up. we will be in New Hampshire for Christmas this year:)
Glenda

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / November 30, 2004 12:41 AM PST

Hi, Rick,

Christmas dinner will be the usual for us.

Either boneless rib eye roast or standing rib (depending on price)...

baked potatoes....

asparagus....

celery and carrot sticks with onion dip...

rolls

chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies

either Riesling or White Zinfandel wine

(Note how I keep things simple and easy!)

_______

Christmas breakfast...

Cliffy Farm country ham

scrambled eggs

popovers

strawberry preserves

Every year I worry if the popovers will "pop". I made some about a month ago, and half did, and half did not. This is a new stove, so I think I will increase the oven temp some.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 1:36 AM PST

Hi Angeline,

And I just *thought* I was already hungry - getting close to lunchtime here! Victoria used to make popovers sometimes, and I guess I got spoiled by all her good cooking. She moved to Austin a few months ago, so now I'm experiencing the 'bachelor' cooking method - which for me is basically not cooking at all. Then again, I lived for years on hot dogs, frozen pizzas, snack foods, etc. All that wonderful junk. Happy But now that she's away I miss complaining about the complexity of her dishes! When she packed up her spices alone took two rather large boxes. I won't even tell you how many pots and pans she had...

Rick "pre-packaged" Jones

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Who's Victoria?
by W2X3XP / November 30, 2004 1:47 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) it's a Secret
by jonah jones / November 30, 2004 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Who's Victoria?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) <Smile>
by W2X3XP / November 30, 2004 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) it's a Secret
Collapse -
Sister
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Who's Victoria?

She's two years older than me, and never lets me forget it. So it used to be funny when she would introduce me to her friends as "my little brother" - as I'm 6'2" and she's 5'3" tall. Happy

Regards,

Rick "the weather's fine up here, thank ye" Jones

Collapse -
Thanks, Richard
by W2X3XP / November 30, 2004 6:15 AM PST
In reply to: Sister

Once a little brother, always a little brother. Happy

Sisters love to say "My little brother" or "My big brother". Both comments are filled with pride.

Collapse -
Re: Thanks, Richard
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Richard

Hi W2,

Yeah, well sometimes it was pride. Other times a kind of distancing herself. As kids, we never quite believed that our parents did not intentionally name us to rhyme - "Vicky and Ricky" was what a bunch of people would say, followed by "How cute!" or "Awww, that's darling!". We would just groan. And she really *hates* it when people call her "Vicky" - moreso than when people call me "Dick" or "Ricky". She goes by "Victoria" or "V" and just barely tolerates me using "Vic". :^) Anyhow, thanks for the kind thoughts.

Rick

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / November 30, 2004 2:11 AM PST

Dear "pre-packaged" (I loved that!)

Well, Rick, I cook on 2 holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I didn't even cook for this year's Octoberfest, but had it catered from a wonderful BBQ place.

I buy Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine, cold cuts to make a salad or occasional sandwich, and try to keep some ground chuck (made into patties, mostly except when I want to make chili), and chicken breasts (I do make a stir fry with it and the frozen stir-fry vegetables)- it all cooks quickly!).

Some women really like to cook. I'm not one of them. Did it for years and years. The hardest part was deciding what to fix. When I retired, I retired. Joe was willing to eat out, or go with stir-frys, homemade soups (enough to freeze a bunch for several meals), and when so moved, a pot of beans and cornbread.

There is a Taco Bell nearby. Happy

Angeline

Collapse -
mmmm, stir-fry!
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 3:34 AM PST

Hi Angeline,

Thanks for the idea - sounds like something I could handle. Victoria 'got into' everything wok-related and made some really tasty stuff with it. What I really miss is her unduplicateable black beans that she served with fajitas. She insisted the recipe was easy, and Mom tried to do it, but never quite the same. Oh well, I'm learning anew the adage about not missing something till it's gone. There are some good taquerias here though, and Taco Cabana ain't bad neither. Happy

Rick "frijoles negras" Jones

Collapse -
by Jmichaels / November 30, 2004 2:16 AM PST

Angeline:

Might I suggest a RED Zinfandel to go with those meat choices? Unless, of course, you are allergic to red wines.

Jmichaels

Collapse -
Would like suggestions. And, welcome to SE!
by Angeline Booher / November 30, 2004 4:36 AM PST

Hi, Jm,

I just checked, and all I've got is the Zinfandel and a bottle of Merle. The grocery stores here are not allowed to sell wines, and it is not easy for me to get to the wine store. I do have a large bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon but there are only two for the meal.

It's been years since I drank Burgundy. I remember I liked it, but I don't recall how heavy it is. I once serve Port after dinner, but it was too heavy for me.

I prefer only a hint of sweetness, and a light fruity flavor.

I would appreciate any suggestions/help you have.

And, welcome to Speakeasy! Drop by at your pleasure!

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Would like suggestions. And, welcome to SE!
by Jmichaels / November 30, 2004 4:53 AM PST

Thank you, Angeline, for the welcome, but I've been here for many years, in another life, so to speak.

The Cabernet should be fine with your meal, but remember to drink it ALL. Do not recork.

Basically, one drinks the wine that most pleases ones taste buds, regardless of the pronouncements of so-called wine experts.

Red Zinfandel used to be called 'Pizza Wine', however, it is so much better than that. So much for the experts.

I pan-fry small steaks that have been marinated in a robust red wine, with a touch of chopped garlic added.
Very, very tasty!

If you can get to a decent wine store, investigate other reds for dinners where red meats are used. I have a preference for Shiraz or Merlot. Both are great.

Now, I'm getting hungry, anticipating the filet I have planned for tomorrow night.

jm

Collapse -
by jonah jones / November 30, 2004 2:44 AM PST

turkey, lamb, roast potatoes, 3 veg, gravy, home baked bread, beer, wine, "glog" a swedish xmas-time drink with nuts and raisins, served hot, a bottle of Hennesseys VSOP that has been calling out my name for the last 5 months christmas cake (made 2 months ago by my daughter :-)) and if were hungry after that, wife may do a spaghetti bolognaise Happy

jonah-who needs a belt at xmas-jones

Collapse -
Groovy !
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 3:55 AM PST

Hi Jonah,

The "glog" sounds kinda like a "hot toddy" which I guess is different for diff people. Brandy, tea and lemon. Or rum. But we'd add raisins, too. Nuts I never tried.

Regards,

Rick

Collapse -
by Rolway / November 30, 2004 7:09 AM PST

Hi Richard;
We usually have a big leg of Lamb, Mashed Potatoes, lots of gravy and mint jelly. Yams, peas, string beans. I don't do the cooking, so whatever is on the table is Ok with me.

Its Lasagna for New Years. Wife cooks the best damn Lasagna I have ever had, and enough for a week or more. I'm hungry already. Happy

George

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!