Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

What's exactly needed for wireless network?

by nyjets011269 / May 24, 2005 6:15 PM PDT

I want to set up my main computer that is hooked up to a cable modem running xp pro with my older desktop running 98se. Can I just hook up a wireless broadband router to my cable modem and plug in a usb adapter into my old computer? Is there anything else I would need to buy or do? Thank's.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's exactly needed for wireless network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's exactly needed for wireless network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
that would do it.
by Dick White / May 25, 2005 1:02 AM PDT

That would work. However, be aware that WiFi hadn't been invented when Win98 was designed, so the operating system support for it is limited to the add-in drivers and supplemental WiFi client management utilities provided by the device manufacturer. Some security layers, such as WPA, are not available in Win98 unless you purchase additional 3rd-party software. If it were me, I'd hardwire the Win98 system to the router if at all possible. If that old system has now been moved upstairs/downstairs/whereever and you can't run an ethernet cable from it to the router, well, then you have to live with Win98's WiFi minor limitations.

Collapse -
My older Compaq laptop. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 26, 2005 12:11 PM PDT

Running W98SE connected the first time. I have a D-link wireless router, plugged in a D-link wireless PCMCIA NIC into the laptop, ran the installation software, the router found it, it found the router, and done.

Don't mix and match brands.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?