PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What's best gaming graphic card for my main board?

by salehwar / September 15, 2007 12:01 AM PDT

Hello

I have Intel's D845HV mother board and P4 2GHz CPU. I know its old! but I need the best graphic card that works with that board. I currently have nVidia GeForce 4 4800 Ti which is damaged somehow so I need to change it. I want best graphic card which suites this board.

thank you

Info about my board can be found here: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845hv/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's best gaming graphic card for my main board?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's best gaming graphic card for my main board?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is a certain graphic card compatible with my mainboard?
by salehwar / September 16, 2007 3:49 AM PDT

Thanks for the replay. How can I know that a certain graphic card is compatible with my mainboard?

Thank you

Collapse -
You're mainboard supports AGP only
by mep916 / September 16, 2007 4:03 AM PDT

Inside your case, on the mainboard, you will notice several slots that are white, and one that is brown, the brown slot being above the white slots. The brown slot is your AGP slot. This is where you want to install your AGP graphics card. Go to a site such as Newegg, and search Video Cards -> AGP X4/X8. Although you're mainboard will only produce X4 AGP speeds, installing a card that supports X8 is okay.

Is this a custom built PC, or an OEM bought from Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.?

Collapse -
Thanks
by salehwar / September 16, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

Thank you all for replaying

It is custom built PC. I'm going to check what is available on the market and install it. I'll report back when I'm done. Thank you.

Collapse -
Remember...
by mep916 / September 16, 2007 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Do not overlook the power supply. Inside your case, on the power supply, you should see a label with several, perhaps confusing, numerical values. You want to find the value that represents the Total Watt Output - or something like that. If it is below 300W, I would consider replacing the power supply as well.

The good news is that your case is probably standard ATX. You should be able to install a good 500W + power supply without problems - if you need to.

Collapse -
yes
by salehwar / September 16, 2007 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Remember...

It is AOpen case.. I think its standard case, can't say for sure.

The power supply doesn't show any number or table. I can't find anaything written on it. So I don't know the power output.

There is only small label on the power supply written on it, QC pass ese 016316 then a table of number, and number 4 is ticked.

Collapse -
Hmm...
by mep916 / September 16, 2007 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

Try unscrewing the power supply from the case (if you haven't already), and search the areas "hidden" due to the case.

Honestly, given the age of your mainboard and graphics card, you're probably ready for a new power supply. Use Newegg, or you're favorite retailer, and find something with at least 450W. Good brands include PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, Antec, and a few others.

Newegg.com's (no, I don't work for them, they just happen to be the best, in my opinion) customer reviews happen to be very reliable. When purchasing hardware, I often pay close attention to what others are saying about products I'm interested in. You may find the reviews to be helpful.

Happy Hunting!

Michael

Collapse -
About your new video card
by frederico88 / September 17, 2007 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

I would like to know what you bought finally because I'm looking for a replacement to same old card you have.
Thanks

Collapse -
The AGP ones.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2007 4:08 AM PDT

The AGP slot is keyed to keep you from plugging in one that's incompatible so all I ever need to do (besides check the power supply) is to look at the slot and the card.

Bob

Collapse -
Make sure...
by mep916 / September 16, 2007 2:39 AM PDT

...you consider the output of your power supply before purchasing a new card. Most require 300W+. The output of the 12V rail is also important.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?