Speakeasy forum

Rant

What's at stake with the Pentagon cuts

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's at stake with the Pentagon cuts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's at stake with the Pentagon cuts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Has this changed you mind about increasing taxes?

In reply to: What's at stake with the Pentagon cuts

Collapse -
No

In reply to: Has this changed you mind about increasing taxes?

Has it changed your mind about cutting back government itself and getting rid of departments that either don't work or are duplicated? Has it changed your mind about whether federal employees should have a union...which BTW ISN'T being asked to cut back on THEIR benefits, and most don't put their lives on the line or sacrifice most of their careers to being away from their families?

Collapse -
Sure...cut back on everything...AND increase taxes

In reply to: No

Works for me

Tough times ahead.

Does it work for you?

Collapse -
(NT) PS...you can still have a union and have cutbacks.

In reply to: Sure...cut back on everything...AND increase taxes

Collapse -
No you can't

In reply to: PS...you can still have a union and have cutbacks.

Unions, especially at the federal level, will continue to do exactly to the federal government that local unions do to local and state governments....they drive up wages, benefits, and pensions causing cutbacks in many important other areas in order to keep feeding that hog....all at taxpayer expense. And most of those government jobs have a superior kind of payscale and benefits that the private sector would never have the luxury of getting even with the same job description. When you have a government job, you basically have it for life because of the unions as well....you rarely, if ever, have to worry about being fired for being incompetent at it (air traffic controllers is a good recent example).

If the federal employees weren't unionized with all those benefits and pensions being paid for by the taxpayer, the military wouldn't have to worry about THEIRS being cut, and we need our military a heck of a lot more than we need all those other overpaid federal employees. If our military's benefits and pensions are cut, we can kiss off our volunteer protection because they won't join up and they won't stay.

Collapse -
and we need our military

In reply to: No you can't

sure you do.

The USA has a defense based economy. The economy revolves around "the military".

You want to cut contractor fraud...charge them in court...You are NOT going to stop spending $$$$ on defense contracts. NOT EVER. It would be like cutting your own throat.

THAT'S the hog you're feeding.

Keep all your military in the continental United States, spend billions/'trillions on defense, enjoy yourself.

Don't try and tell me there is no one IN THE MILITARY that is incompetent.

all those benefits and pensions being paid for by the taxpayer

taxpayer?...same person that pays for the military benefits and pensions?

If our military's benefits and pensions are cut, we can kiss off our
volunteer protection because they won't join up and they won't stay.

Well then you just re-instate the draft...OR the ones that leave can go to work for those nasty defense contractors.

you haven't answered my question

Do you agree?

cut back on everything...AND increase taxes?

I know you love the flat tax...What about a Value Added Tax?

Collapse -
I did answer in my subject line....NO

In reply to: and we need our military

or is that a word you just don't recognize so you don't know it when you see it?

I've told you before...I favor a flat tax, both on income and on products/services so that the underground income (pay under the table) group pays their fair share as well as the low income people who either wind up with total refunds or get an additional EIC check. 50% of our population pays NO taxes...if BO wants everyone to pay a 'fair share' he HAS to include the ENTIRE population and not just a handful to support our country. I have no problem with getting rid of the loopholes by reforming our entire tax code and doing away with ALL subsidies...both for energy and agriculture, BUT there also has to be less regulation in those areas in order to get people back to work, especially in the coal, natural gas, and oil industries.

I especially like the 'penny plan' being presented currently...it would freeze everything right where it's at now, and cut 1% across the board every year for the next five or six years...with a balanced budget at the end of that time.

The only 'unions' the taxpayer should be paying for, I've said before, are firemen, law enforcement, and the 'military' if you consider the military a union because of the benefits. NO OTHERS....and members of Congress/Senate should not get a benefit package for the rest of their lives either. If they don't make enough of a paycheck in order to provide for themselves later, too bad, join the rest of the country figuring it out.

Collapse -
Don't get snippy!!

In reply to: I did answer in my subject line....NO

I don't consider the military a union.

Collapse -
They're in the wire!!!

It's all politics and always never in black&white. Heck, they're still trying to close bases/installations from the '90s. Sure it happens but so much feet dragging it never materializes the so-called saving. Plus, any new manpower(troops) cut backs still have an immediate effect back home because there simply aren't enough jobs to go around. Considering anything that's savings, is it really. That just means it will be used elsewhere that quickly. Further, looking at veterans and such, this usually is a "lifetime entitlements" that usually are meant, because it's an honor thing and such as important, they vote too. I have to reconsider now more than ever if I stayed in yrs. ago. It's a real plum of a thing to be relatively, healthy, and get retirement bennies after 20yrs. in. However, that's a mute point and i wouldn't change it even if i wanted to. When it comes to pay, then it boils down to people and the associated costs. The number crunchers seem to forget what the military does for them in peace and in war. The military has always been a cost loser but it provides more than defensive actions. these same people come back with tangible skills, experience, adulthood and and will to get things done. However, anything that seems to cut into bennies is bound to have a backlash and I feel will be more quickly felt than later. This is way, politicians shouldn't be so quick to go to war there are other cause and effects in place that come into play. ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
I found $54B they can use and not have to touch.............

Collapse -
Yeah

In reply to: I found $54B they can use and not have to touch.............

The banks don't need regulating. We saw proof of that in 2008, didn't we.

And I LIKE my canned food with visible rat parts in it.

Collapse -
Regulations up the wahzooo

In reply to: Yeah

"And I LIKE my canned food with visible rat parts in it."

Now, now, quit joshing us, I doubt you've EVER found a canned food with visible rat parts in it. I certainly don't recall you mention having done so before, and I'd be surprised if you'd not told us.

Collapse -
You're right, I never have

In reply to: Regulations up the wahzooo

Because their are food safety and health laws in place to protect me. Laws that some apparently think are unnecessary.

Collapse -
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??????

if they had a union they could go on strike.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!