Computer Help forum

Question

What's a safe program for opening gif files?

by D.Riley / September 28, 2014 3:52 AM PDT

My Worship Team leader creates the monthly schedule using Excel, and the email attachment has a gif file extension which my computer won't open. I see all sorts of programs on the internet that I can download to do this, but I'm hesitant to download something I'm not familiar with. Can you recommend a safe program for converting gif files into something Microsoft word will open?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's a safe program for opening gif files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's a safe program for opening gif files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Irfranview
by Jimmy Greystone / September 28, 2014 4:09 AM PDT

Irfranview comes to mind. Small, fast and surprisingly capable given the first two. There's also virtually any web browser if all you want to do is view the image. GIF was one of the most popular image formats in the early days of the web and as a result all the major browsers will support viewing GIF images.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: opening gif-files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 28, 2014 4:24 AM PDT

If I right-click on a gif file in Windows Explorer, it lets me choose from Internet Explorer, Irfanview, Microsoft Office 2010, Paint, Picasa picture viewer and Quicktime player. Are you saying that list is empty with you?

Also, in Word 2010 (and I really think it works in earlier versions also) I can go to Insert>Picture in the ribbon and browse to a gif-file (that I saved on my hard disk if it came as an e-mail attachment. So even Microsoft Word handels this file quite nice (it even shrinks it to fit on one page), which Internet Explorer and most of the other programs I listed won't do automatically. Are you saying MS Word with you can't insert a gif-file?

In the list of programs with you is empty, none of those programs work, and MS Word can't insert a gif-file, something is very wrong with your PC. Then I would find a local guru or repair shop to fix that for you.

For the moment, I see no reason to download anything.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
GIF are images
by orlbuckeye / September 28, 2014 10:27 PM PDT

and words files are documents. Gifs can be attached and inserted in word Docs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?