Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What's a metaphor?

by Paul C / September 2, 2004 11:58 AM PDT
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5892840/

Don't worry if you don't know; neither does San Francisco Chronicle columnist and MSNBC talking head Chris Matthews, apparently. From his interview with Sen. Zell Miller last night:

Matthews: Do you believe, Senator, truthfully, that John Kerry wants to defend the country with spitballs? Do you believe that?

Miller: That was a metaphor, wasn't it? Do you know what a metaphor is?

Matthews: Well, what do you mean by a metaphor?

I know the libs are starting to lose it, but this is wild...
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's a metaphor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's a metaphor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What's a metaphor?
by Dan McC / September 2, 2004 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: What's a metaphor?

Did you read that whole segment? Miller sounded like a crazy person.

Dan

Collapse -
I heard the entire audio ...
by Evie / September 2, 2004 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: What's a metaphor?

... it was Matthews that has lost it Dan. Remember also that he's supposed to be unbiased. I don't know what he did to Michele Malkin (the lady Zell was referring to) but the man was hyperventilating and talking over John O'Neill from the Swift Vet group in similar hyperventilating style recently. It wasn't pretty.

Collapse -
Re: Michelle Malkin
by Paul C / September 4, 2004 9:24 AM PDT

Evie,

Ms. malkin was on Hardball ostensibly to discuss her new book. Matthews began with what's become his all too predictable pattern of asking a question, then talking over the attempted response with an even more aggressive question. Ms. Malkin attempted to get Matthews to just shut up long enough for her to answer even one question. She finally got riled enough to imply (rightly, IMO) that Matthews was not interested in a real conversation, as his questions had strayed far from the supposed topic.

The show went to commercial, and when it returned, Malkin was not on the set. She claimed, and MSNBC confirmed, that Matthews had terminated the interview 1 segment early, and had her removed from the set where she was.

Matthews discovered real fast that the same tactics were useless against Sen. Miller. First, he IS a U.S. Senator, and therefore merits a degree of deference that Matthews seems to believe that other guests do not. Second, Sen. Miller continued the tactic he used to such great effect on CNN by producing the actual records of the votes on the myriad weapon systems that John Kerry's voted against, and dared Matthews to contradict the evidence. Third, Sen. Miller, frankly, is just tougher and more persistent than anyone Matthews has ever interviewed - and it showed.

I saw the video clip of the interview, and when Sen. Miller allowed that he wished that we were back in the day where someone could call a person out for a duel, I thought Matthews was going to have the big one right then and there. After that, it was smooth sailing for the Senator...

Collapse -
Re: Michelle Malkin
by Josh K / September 7, 2004 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Michelle Malkin

Is she the one who tried to imply that John Kerry had intentionally shot himself in the foot to get out of Vietnam, and when Chris Matthews tried to get her to stop implying it and just say it, she wouldn't? That was pretty funny I thought. She clearly knew that to come right out and say "Yes" would have opened her up to a slander suit, so she kept dodging the question.

I might be thinking of someone else, but it was still a jaw-dropper.

Collapse -
by Glenda / September 3, 2004 4:02 AM PDT

Miller was very exact in his feelings about Kerry, And voiced the same opinions as a lot of us:) He is extremely worried where Kerry would lead us!
Glenda

Collapse -
Crazy person or political genius??
by Catgic / September 3, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

One citizen's "crazy person" is another one's "political genius."

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Miller's a crazy person
by Dan McC / September 7, 2004 12:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
LOL -- Matthews is apparently trying to cash in ...
by Evie / September 5, 2004 1:02 AM PDT

... on the craxy person. Just watched MTP and there was a commercial for Hardball featuring a clip of the Zell interview.

Collapse -
Sure did and watched it too...
by Edward ODaniel / September 5, 2004 2:46 AM PDT
"Miller sounded like a crazy person."

I agree.

At first he actually sounded like he thought Chris Matthews was going to interview him rather than shout him down and talk over him--anyone who has watched Mathews knows that is crazy.

Miller overcame it though and let Mathews know where his place actually is and kept Mathews looking like a drooling idiot.

Miller has always been a good speaker, even when speaking about things Conservatives, Libertarians, and other normal people disagree with.

He is still the left of center moderate he has always been and simply can't stomach Kerry because he KNOWS Kerry's actual record in the Senate and is learning about his actual record in and just after Vietnam.

Collapse -
by MKay / September 5, 2004 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: What's a metaphor?

What's a meta for? Isn't it a tag you use in html? Happy

Collapse -
Good catch, MK. The questions has been answered!
by RB2D2 / September 7, 2004 8:34 AM PDT
Happy
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Groan...But I suppose someone had to come up with that!
by Paul C / September 7, 2004 10:10 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.