Camcorders forum

Question

What's a good HD Camcorder?

by coldReactive-234616612897 / May 18, 2011 6:07 AM PDT

That doesn't need software to download the pictures from the device, and preferably has no built-in HDD (but it doesn't matter), but has great image-stabilization (I have shaky hands.) And At least 10x Optical Zoom, and must accept up to 32GB SDHC or equiv. Should have good still pictures, and must perform well in both low-light and high-light situations, yet not be too big in size or price. And at least 720p.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's a good HD Camcorder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's a good HD Camcorder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What's a good HD camcorder
by whoozhe / May 27, 2011 11:31 AM PDT

Here is a suggestion. Instead of a camcorder and look instead at the newer HD digital photo cameras.
A great choice is a Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera which cost anywhere between $250 and several thousand dollars.
The beauty of these newer cameras is not only can they be used for a point and shoot still camera but can be set from fully automatic to fully manual and shoot amazing video. You get the best of both worlds.
Transferring your work to a computer is as easy as connecting the camera to an USB port and simply drag and drop, copy or moving using any file manager after which you can work on the video.
Do some Net searching on these cameras.
I bought a Fujifilm HS20EXR which is a 16 megapixel still camera and can shoot up to 1920X1080 Full HD video. One can even take a still photo during recording. The one thing I love about this camera is it can take a 360 degree panoramic photo with one click. It comes with a 58mm wide angle zoom lens which allows one to add filters. I have a polaroid filter on it all the time.
Ranting on a bit here but I do recommend buying one of these multi task SLR cameras. They do everything a camcorder and a still camera does all in one unit.

Collapse -
Image Stabilzation
by coldReactive-234616612897 / May 27, 2011 2:04 PM PDT

But do they have extremely good image stabilization for my shaky hands?

Collapse -
Image Stablization
by whoozhe / May 28, 2011 5:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Image Stabilzation

Yes. Remember though that stablisation in cameras only compensates for minor movement.When zoom is used a tripod is essential for any user.
I am disabled so I too have to compensate for movement. What I like about my camera is by pushing down the shoot button half way it automatically saves all the settings ready for shooting that one shot.
One tip is if you have some problem with movement try holding the camera upside down. You will find that the main part of the camera body can rest against your forehead and use the camera's eye viewer in preference to the LCD one.
I also use a velcro strap attached to the camera and wrap it around my left (non preferable) arm if I need to use the LCD viewer. Then rest my arm on something more stable like my walking stick.
Maybe I should sit down and design something better. Now there is an opportunity.

Collapse -
Answer
Very Nice Camcorder
by FiOS-Dave / May 27, 2011 4:28 PM PDT

I have been using a Panasonic HDC-SD9 since it came out and it will do everything you need
and more! By now the price has dropped considerably, which should make it a bargain.
Search it out using Bing or Google and then do the same to find a good price.
Dave

Collapse -
Again, Image Stabilization
by coldReactive-234616612897 / May 27, 2011 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Very Nice Camcorder

As I said above:

"But do they have extremely good image stabilization for my shaky hands?"

Collapse -
Answer
What's a good HD Camcorder?
by SteelMage / May 28, 2011 2:12 AM PDT

Many Camcorders offer a feature call "Optical image stabilization" or "Digital image Stabilization". This feature is designed to help over come camera movement and blury images due to rapid movement or shaky hands during filming. I recommend reviewing the spec's to see what brand and price range offers this feature and make your selection on the models that offer the stabalization feature. Stabalization works better on some cameras than others so read the user reviews to see what users experiences. I know Sony offers stabalization of some of it's camera's. I sure other brands due to. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
JVC Is pretty good
by coldReactive-234616612897 / May 28, 2011 9:02 AM PDT

It's been around for ages, and was the first brand to offer the consumer camcorder, they have some pretty good camcorders, including good still shots. I think I may go for them.

Collapse -
O.I.S.
by FiOS-Dave / May 28, 2011 10:21 AM PDT

The Panasonic I mentioned does have a rather good image stabilization feature and it is easily accessible from the left-side control panel with a single button press.
Dave

Collapse -
Price drop?
by coldReactive-234616612897 / May 28, 2011 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: O.I.S.

999.95 USD is pretty expensive for a price drop. Might stick with JVC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?