Phones forum

General discussion

What's a good BlackBerry for a newbie?

by FutureMrsTal / April 14, 2009 8:40 AM PDT

I am up for my New Every 2 through Verizon and I'm thinking about getting a BlackBerry or other type of smartphone. This would be my first smartphone and I'd appreciate any input that people could give me. Which BlackBerry (or smartphone) would be good me as a new user? Please, any help would be great!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's a good BlackBerry for a newbie?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's a good BlackBerry for a newbie?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Blackberry storm
by greenhardinger / April 18, 2009 3:12 AM PDT

The blackberry storm is probably the easiest blackberry to use for a newbie. Good luck!

Collapse -
I would wait a month or two...
by solmssen / May 14, 2009 6:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Blackberry storm

The Storm is a big bag of awful - the virtual keyboard is not good and the whole thing is slow as molasses. I would wait - Verizon is going to release the new Bold/Curve 8900 generation of blackberry on their net finally in June/July from what I hear.

Collapse -
I have been wondering the same thing
by scifigrrl / May 14, 2009 9:57 PM PDT

I also have Verizon and have been wanting to make the leap to a smart phone/blackberry for some time. They have been pushing hard to get me to upgrade, but given all of the "free" phone promotions and history I knew they were getting ready to receive new phones/blackberries. I am still doing research, but I was able to find out about the Blackberry 9630 Niagra/Tour and based on what I could glean it is supposed to be out in mid-July. I am going to hold out for the new ones.

Collapse -
fees
by BocaAlban / May 15, 2009 11:20 AM PDT

Just remember that with a blackberry from Verizon you are also locked into a data contract that cannot be cancelled. It is a minimum additional fee of at least $30 per month that you will have to pay for the life of the phone. There is noflexiblity and the monthly feel could rise too, which it most likely will in the time you have it.

Collapse -
blackberry storm 2
by greenhardinger / May 19, 2009 1:42 PM PDT

I would get a blackberry storm 2 if you can wait for it to come out (mid june - july) or get a blackberry storm.

Collapse -
Whats the difference
by patrickxd / July 1, 2009 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: blackberry storm 2
Collapse -
BlackBerry is good smartphone!
by henriklykke / July 22, 2009 5:46 PM PDT

if you come to BlackBerry Forum and how do you expecte us to recommend a smartphone than BlackBerry? BlackBerry is good smartphone!

Collapse -
There are many different models of BlackBerry
by Josh K / July 23, 2009 1:33 AM PDT

The original poster is asking for recommendations in the right forum.

Collapse -
Blackberry Tour would be a good start on the Verizon network
by Precede / August 21, 2009 12:00 PM PDT

If you are new to the Blackberry on Verizon, I would highly recommend the Tour 9630. The Tour goes back to Blackberry's core comptency of full QWERTY keyboards. Unfortunately, RIM made a huge mistake with the Blackberry Storm. No matter how cool it looks on TV, it is no comparison to the I-Phone. Everyone I know that has this phone hates. So, go for the newest full QWERTY option, the Tour. You won't be disappointed.

Collapse -
Storm is not bad
by BKEvolution / August 22, 2009 1:12 AM PDT

I have been using the Storm for almost a year. I am looking forward to the Storm 2 for its wifi capability. This was also my first blackberry. I am not familiar with other Blackberries so I don't really have any comparisons to make. I wanted the touchscreen so I got the Storm. It does all my emails, connects to my home PC via orb and BB messenger is awesome.

I have thought about the Iphone but I like Verizon's coverage better so having an Iphone is not in the cards. The Storm does not have the Apps like the Iphone does but does have a lot to choose from. It can't handle having as many apps loaded as the iphone either. If you want a touchscreen get the storm. If not get the Tour. I actually like the Surepress screen.

Collapse -
Storm 2
by BBStorm2 / August 25, 2009 5:35 AM PDT

I would definitely say you should wait for the Storm 2 to come out. It will be the best blackberry by far and will be worth the wait. Check out this website for more information. http://www.storm2.co.uk

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.