Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Phones forum

General discussion

What's a good bargain handheld for writing & wireless?

by thepxii / March 13, 2007 8:49 AM PDT

I've been researching different products and I was wondering if anyone could help me decide what device to buy. I've been looking for a handheld device on which I can access the wireless internet and edit documents. (If anyone knows of a tablet PC in my price range, one that is inexpensive enough to make up for the extra bulk I would have to carry, I would be interested in that too.) I'd like to take college notes on it so it would need an attachable keyboard and a good battery life. I'm looking for something less than $1200, but I would be willing to consider more if the features are good enough, for instance if I could do web or graphic design on the device. Although, finding a bargain would still be the best selling point for me.

Thanks for any help!

~ Lana

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What's a good bargain handheld for writing & wireless?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What's a good bargain handheld for writing & wireless?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought...
by whizkid454 / March 14, 2007 5:51 AM PDT

With the graphic design you are talking about, a PDA would probably not be the best investment for you. Perhaps posting this same question in the Laptops forum will yield some better responses. They might be able to give you a good suggestion for an ultraportable tablet PC. They usually have acceptable battery life and give you many options over what a PDA would give you. Good luck!

Collapse -
Jornada 720, 728
by rgfitz / March 14, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

Used HP Jornada models 720 and 728 are small and accept wireless cards. You just have to make sure to get a wireless card that will work in these models. They have a built-in keyboard.

I read someplace that a person wrote a novel using one...a little hard to imagine.

I have never seen a separate keyboard for one but they may be available.

Collapse -
Great idea
by thepxii / March 14, 2007 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Jornada 720, 728

Thanks! I'll look into that.

Collapse -
Jornada not so good
by nelsonj3 / March 15, 2007 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Jornada 720, 728

The HP Jornada is a very old device. It may work well for you, but you won't be able to use the latest software and a wireless card may be hard to find. In addition, it was discontinued several years ago, so you would have to get a used one.
Another option you may want to consider is the Palm TX with a wireless keyboard. It includes an office suite that is more capable than Microsoft's own version, allowing you to create, view, or edit Word, Excel, AND PowerPoint files on the device. It has built in Wifi and Bluetooth for connecting to other devices or the internet. I use the Wifi a lot to check email and do some limited web browsing. It includes a good browser called Blazer.
Battery life is good on the TX. CNET tested it at 10 hours for a looped MP3 file and 4.5 for a looped video.
Best part, it will only cost a fraction of your budget. The TX cost $299 and the keyboard between $80 and $150, depending on the type of connection. Bluetooth keyboards are more convenient but more expensive and infrared cheaper but require line of site with the top of the TX.
One more thing, the TX holds the third most popular spot with CNET editors and the number one spot with the CNET users.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!