PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What PSU should I get?

by Earthquake152 / October 10, 2009 6:51 AM PDT

I'm planning to upgrade my computer to these specs:
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
CPU: Core i7-920 OC'd to around 3.2 GHz
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI or ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
Graphics Card: Not sure yet, I'm waiting to see what nVidia will release. Otherwise, ATI Radeon HD5850

Could anyone tell me what PSU I should get (and why so that in the future I can pick it by myself)? Also, would you advise getting the ASUS motherboard or the EVGA motherboard? I'm not going with Crossfire/SLI right now, and I probably won't in the future. BTW, I'm just going to use the case cooling and oversized cpu cooler that came with my Gateway FX6800.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What PSU should I get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What PSU should I get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suggest taking a little side trip
by VAPCMD / October 10, 2009 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: What PSU should I get?

over to http://www.jonnyguru.com. One of the best sites for info re PSUs.

You really need to detail the entire system with all the peripherals before any can give an exact PSU for your system. That's all HDDs, CD-DVDs burners, RAM, CPU, CPU, etc.,

There's another thread in PC Hardware where folks are talking about PSUs so that might be another options.

Any questions, I'm usually around.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Motherboard
by Earthquake152 / October 10, 2009 1:13 PM PDT

I have no clue exactly what gateway put in except for a hdd and disk drive. I'm planning to open my computer up with my friend tomorrow, so I'll post what I found, if I find any thing useful. Also, the specs that I gave were the ones for what I want to upgrade to. I have the 3 gb ram that came with it. Basically, I'm going to use the same computer, except 1) Put it in an Antec Nine Hundred case, 2) Get a new PSU, 3) Get a new graphics card, and 4) Get a new motherboard so that I can overclock.

According to the gateway website page for my computer (http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668210.php), my hdd is spinning at 7200 rpm. Also, upon reading the fine print at the bottom, gateway says that the power supply can supply 500 watts, no problem, so I just need to decide between the motherboard and graphics card now. So, I guess now my question is which motherboard should I get?

Collapse -
New post
by Earthquake152 / October 10, 2009 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard

Since this is now which motherboard I should get, I'll just make a new topic. If anyone has anything related to what's been said here other than which motherboard should I get, just post here.

Collapse -
It isn't so much which HDD...it's how many HDDs. Most
by VAPCMD / October 11, 2009 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard

peripherals . . . HDDs, opticals, modems, NICs..except video cards and CPUs have the similar power requirements.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
# of peripherals
by Earthquake152 / October 11, 2009 11:26 AM PDT

I have 1 hdd and one dvd drive.

Collapse -
Try this
by rodshifter / October 11, 2009 4:12 AM PDT

Use Enermax or seasonic, they have an array of PSU products they can offer. I suggest you settle to 600-700 watts PSU for your setup.
Good luck man.

Collapse -
PSU Recommendation
by moneymoguls / October 13, 2009 4:15 AM PDT

I would buy a PSU with 750 - 1000 watt output. I personally like Corsair but there are many good PSU's out there.

Collapse -
Yep
by jonasmikhail / October 14, 2009 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU Recommendation

I suggest you buy from trusted or long time PSU brands. It's alright to settle in the 700W range but always prioritize Quality over Quantity.

Some PSUs do have high Watt rating but don't deliver on specs. Watch out for those.

Collapse -
How's this?
by Earthquake152 / October 14, 2009 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep
Collapse -
(NT) Ok...tell me why you picked it
by VAPCMD / October 14, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: How's this?
Collapse -
Why
by Earthquake152 / October 14, 2009 10:21 AM PDT

I had seen a review of it on guru3d.com, and I had heard about OCZ. Plus, the psu gateway put in my computer isn't modular, while this one is, so I won't have as many (if any) extra wires.

Collapse -
How long is the warranty ? How many AMPs on the 12V line ?
by VAPCMD / October 14, 2009 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Why

Suggest doing some reading about that PSU over at http://www.Newegg.com

They've got the same model, same rebate and a 4GB FLASH drive. The good thing is you can read real buyer comments about the product.

Re modular ... I'm old fashioned as I prefer to avoid the extra connectors and possible points of failure. The extra connectors if any...I just tie them off out of the way with tie wraps.

Let us know what you find.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Details, details, lol
by Earthquake152 / October 14, 2009 12:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
So far so good...my only other question is does the PSU
by VAPCMD / October 15, 2009 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Details, details, lol

have enough connectors to support the proposed peripherals ...esp the video card ?

Attention to detail in the planning stage will help ensure a smooth assembly and successful build.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I think so
by Earthquake152 / October 15, 2009 9:56 AM PDT

I'm not exactly sure, as it is my first time upgrading/building a computer. I do know that there is a 6 + 2 pin on 1st 25V rail and a 6 pin on the other 25V rail. The 5850 takes 2 6-pin connectors. I have no clue about the other stuff.

Collapse -
Only problem I see ...OCZ600MXSP ModXStream Pro 600
by VAPCMD / October 15, 2009 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I think so

doesn't give you much headroom over the min GPU requirement and it only has one 6 pin power connector for the GPU.

For those reasons I'd strongly recommend looking for another PSU with the required number of 6-pin power connectors and perhaps 650-700W (or higher if the budget permits) .. here's a good starting point for the search. You can use the Advanced search to further narrow down the candidates.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090058%20113142557&name=601%20-%20700W

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Power Requirement
by Earthquake152 / October 15, 2009 11:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
What you've picked will work as will almost any new PSU.
by VAPCMD / October 17, 2009 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Power Requirement

However if you're building a high-end system that you're going to be overclocking with a power hungry GPU and potentially adding more peripherals than currently listed, a PSU with a little more headroom, stability, reliability and better specs is the better way to go.

For those reasons I recommend something close in terms of output from one of the product lines I buy. The difference is more headroom, a 2 year longer warranty, high efficiency and 120 more watts on the 12V line.

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ... - Retail

* Fans: Thermally controlled 120mm fan
* Main Connector: 20+4Pin
* +12V Rails: Single
* PCI-Express Connector: 2 x 6+2-Pin
* SATA Power Connector: 8
* Efficiency: > 80%
* Over Voltage Protection: Yes
* Input Voltage: 100 - 240 V
* Model #: CMPSU-650TX
* Item #: N82E16817139005

Corsair 650W Max Combined Wattage 5 Yr warranty 624W 12V with 52AMPs on one 12V rail
OCZ 600W Max Combined Wattage 3 Yr warranty 504w 12V with 50AMPs split on 2-12V rails

Wishing you success on your build.

VAPCMD

PS .. It makes sense to ask for advice when you're short on knowledge, real experience or both. Here's hoping you're smart enough to take advantage of the advice . . otherwise, why ask ?

Collapse -
I see
by Earthquake152 / October 17, 2009 12:33 PM PDT

I see what you mean, but with that psu, you mentioned only 1 12V rail. Doesn't the ATI Radeon HD5850 need 2 of those? It needs two 6 pin connectors.

Collapse -
I double checked the mfg specs and both PSUs have
by VAPCMD / October 18, 2009 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I see

2-6 pin GPU power connectors.

The Corsair has 2-6 pin GPU connectors the OCZ PSU has 2-6 pin connectors with one noted as '6 + 2'. The key difference for users is the 120W gain on the 12V line and the 5 year vs 3 year warranty.

Where do you see the HD5850 requires two 12V rails ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Uhhhh...
by Earthquake152 / October 18, 2009 5:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'd say YES. But if you look at the AMD Certified PSUs
by VAPCMD / October 18, 2009 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Uhhhh...
Collapse -
Great
by Earthquake152 / October 18, 2009 9:45 AM PDT

I was considering a corsair psu before, and this looks better than the other one. Thanks!

Collapse -
If you're jumping to the Corsair TX750W or
by VAPCMD / October 18, 2009 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Great
Collapse -
Maybe
by Earthquake152 / October 18, 2009 11:11 AM PDT

I think the only way I would consider the 750-watt psu is if I decide in the future to use crossfire, as I don't think that my system would max out anywhere near 650 watts. Do you know how many 6-pin connectors the 750-watt psu has?

Collapse -
I believe the TX650W is more than enough but the technical
by VAPCMD / October 18, 2009 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe
Collapse -
Okay...
by Earthquake152 / October 18, 2009 12:41 PM PDT

So, it isn't AMD certified, but it does have enough 6-pin connectors to support crossfire. Does it matter if it isn't certified by AMD? I know this may sound like a dumb question, but does that mean AMD won't honor the warranty if anything happens, or does that mean that the card will refuse to run or some other stupid, silly thing like that?

Collapse -
The Corsair PSU says it's Crossfire Certified however it
by VAPCMD / October 18, 2009 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Okay...

only has 2 - 6 pin PCIe connectors. The thing you would need to do is test whatever card you get right away and return it if it doesn't work. The only issue is if you start with a 5850 and you want Crossfire...you'll have to add another 5850 to match it. You could probably get a cable adapter but that might really push the 650.
You'll have to make the call from here.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Great
by Earthquake152 / October 18, 2009 1:47 PM PDT

Thanks! I think you've answered all my psu questions. The last thing that'd I'd like to ask is, where/how can I learn to build/upgrade a computer?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.