PC Hardware forum

General discussion

what psu be good for my HP

by sophanvick / August 8, 2005 3:00 AM PDT

what psu be good for my HP Pavilion a620n. Rite now there is a factory Hipro 250watt that came with my HP. And i want to get a Geforce 6600GT but i dunno the wattage for the 6600GT. How much power u guys think i need and tell me good brands. i want to spend under 100 bucks =D if anyone with good parts can aim me in Instant msg: its Dat Fly Asian

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what psu be good for my HP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what psu be good for my HP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can have a selection
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 3:29 AM PDT

of numerous top line supplies for under $100. If you live in the U.S. Might as well gety a good 450 Watt unit.

The main possible issue is with the D----d proprietary case that the HP uses. You need to be certain that the new supply will fit. HP uses the standard ATX interface, but in some older ones the PS had a special size and shape.

The standard ATX PS mounts to the case using four screws. One screw is not in the rectangular pattern so that there is only one way to mount the supply and then if it has multiple fans they are located properly.

Collapse -
BTW, do not waste money
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 3:32 AM PDT

buying a supply with two plus 12 volt rails [outputs], UNLESS your system uses the four pin 12 volt connector to provide power to the CPU.

Collapse -
re
by sophanvick / August 8, 2005 3:51 AM PDT

I have an AMD AThlon 3200+Xp in my HP and i think it has an ASUS board. I think the newer cpu uses the four pin 12volt connecetor. How much watts i need for a 6600GT?

Collapse -
I received your email
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 3:52 AM PDT

I do not have AIM. Wouldn't even know how to use it.

If you enable email in your profile, I'll gladly send you my email address to be able to communicate via email.

Meanwhile I'll go to the HP website to see if they have a picture of the tower.

Collapse -
Here's a link to HP
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 4:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's a pretty nice PC
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 4:18 AM PDT

Picture of mobo on the HP site shows that it definitely uses the 4 pin connector to power the CPU.

I Every time that I go to the HP site to try to help someone, the more that I am impressed by the info that they provide.

Collapse -
lol where u find the pic
by sophanvick / August 8, 2005 4:30 AM PDT

where u find the pic of my mobo in the HP site. So the PSU i should get is wit the 4 pin connector? What psu u think is good cuz im gona soon run a Geforce 6600GT agp card in there soon. =D

Collapse -
You MUST have the 4 pin 12 volt connector
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 4:34 AM PDT

However, nowadays you would have to go out of your way to find one without it. What you DO NOT need is the two sparate +12 volt rails.

I'll go to newegg and point some out to you.

Collapse -
There are two approaches to buying
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 4:31 AM PDT

an adequate power Power Supply. Robert Proffitt tends to link to computergeeks and such sites, and buy inexpensive supplies with wattage ratings far higher than needed. Thus even if it may not be able to actually supply the rated power, it will certainly have enough margin to meet the actual needs.

I simply go to newegg and pick a quality supply and pay the price. No need to pay for the really top line supplies. I use them only if building a new computer, just to have the new features such as separate pluggable cables and dual 12 volt rails. You don't need either.

You can also find a supply you like at newegg and then search for a better price. I don't because newegg's price is usually close to the lowest, their shipping is low and delivery is really great.

Also pick a few of the supplies there that you like and then watch for a few days. Usually one of them will appear as a special with free shipping.

I would expect you to find a good oneunder $60 at newegg, possibly as low as $35.

Collapse -
re:
by sophanvick / August 8, 2005 4:33 AM PDT

ook im checking there now. thx for help lol. do u have a video card in ur System?

Collapse -
I have no big demands for video.
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

I can use any old piece of junk. Using two monitors one analog and one DVI so I got the lowest priced card that had both outputs. Think it is an MX400 which is a value model.

I see in your other thread that you have inputs from John Robie. He is a very knowlegeable guy. Also ozos has much knowledge regarding video cards.

Collapse -
re
by sophanvick / August 8, 2005 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Link to mobo et al

should i add a 512mb pc2700 from kingston with heatspreaders to my system? cuz i already have a 512 that came with HP but i dunno if it will dual channel with different companys...

Collapse -
Your system does not support Dual Channel
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: re

as far as I can see.

Collapse -
re
by sophanvick / August 8, 2005 5:31 AM PDT

so i should just get a 512 pc2700 kingston or w/e or a 1gb will do? i guess since it not dual channel. BUt the more memory wit the same speed will make my comp faster rite? can u give me some links from newegg too lol. Tyvm. i gotta go to football prac ill b bac later to check on forum =D

Collapse -
The addition of memory is
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 5:42 AM PDT

your choice and pocketbook. Looks as if each slot will take 1 GB. Not sure what the note about the memory in the HP info means.

Probably with a total of 1 MB, you'll be at the limit of noticing any real speed increase by increasing memory. The CPU and PC 2700 limits your FSB, so you can't run at 400 MJz FSB. You might want to double check me on that.

Collapse -
re
by sophanvick / August 8, 2005 5:56 AM PDT

im using this program name by CPUID Detection Engine. It show me my memory info. This is what it said.

Slot #1- DDR-SDRAM
Module Size- 512Mb
Max Bandwith- PC3200(200MHz)
Manufacturer- Micron Technology
Part Num.- 16VDDT6464AG-40BGB
Serial Num.- 79047C2C

Slot #2- Empty
---------------------------------
SPD Timings Table-
Frequency- 133MHz
CAS# Latency- 2.0
RAS# to CAS#- 2
RAS# Precharge- 2
TRas#- 6

Frequency- 166MHz
CAS# Latency- 2.5
RAS# to CAS#- 3
RAS# Precharge- 3
TRas#- 7

Frequency- 200MHz
CAS# Latency- 3.0
RAS# to CAS#- 3
RAS# Precharge- 3
TRas#- 8

Collapse -
I mentioned earlier that Micron
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 7:34 AM PDT

is the memory that Crucial sells mostly. Normally they sell CAS 3, sometimes 2.5.

Not familiar with the info for an empty slot. It seems to imply that for PC2700 [166 MHz] it will not support CAS lower than 2.5. However CAS 2.0 memory will clock just fine at 2.5.

If the memory's SPD chip tries to force CAS 2 timing simply disable "by SPD" and set it to the same speed [CAS]as the memory in slot 1.

Collapse -
You mentioned earlier about
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 7:41 AM PDT

getting an additional PC 2700 stick. Thus I assumed [yes I know] that you only had PC 2700 memory. Seems that the report indicates that you have PC 3200 [DDR400].

Before you buy anything we need to know exactly which CPU you have. The problem is that AMD has three CPU's that they called 3200+.

Does the CPUID info give anymore info regarding the CPU???

Collapse -
Some PS's
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 5:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
It is beginning to look as if
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 8:12 AM PDT

HP has used a mobo that does not support the full capability of the CPU.

At HP's ite they have a way that you can connect a tech support guy [probably something like AIM]. Maybe try that and get clarification on what the exact capability that your CPU and mobo have.

They can look into your computer to get the data, that's why I can't do it from here.

The problem is that the best AMD3200+ athlon [not the 64] supports PC3200, Dual Channel memory and 400 MHz FSB, but the mobo seems to not support it.

Collapse -
On the HP site for your mobo it does say
by Ray Harinec / August 8, 2005 8:21 AM PDT

motherboard specifications subject to change without notice.

I hope yours was changed for the better.

Best way is to use the HP tech support chat. Let us know when you get the correct answers.

Collapse -
ima make a new thread for memory
by sophanvick / August 9, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

ima make a new memory discussion so it wont say anything bout PSU when they come to check.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!