General discussion

What programs/software that work with Ubuntu 11.04

Well for starters, I like the unity interface in Ubuntu 11.04, it's just something different then most other Lnux distros I have worked with. There are some programs that don't work with 11.04 since the update. The issue I have is with VLC and it will not run or start at all, all I get is the VLC subtitle on top left corner and when I hit F10 you see on the top left corner where you can minimize or expand it. VLC program will not respond when you click on the x or the square to minimize or expand instead it crashes completely and I have to go to the system properties and cancel the process. The Docky application also freezes as well due to the left sidebar interface. It gets some getting use to but over time you will like that all you do is type what what you are looking for in unity and you get a variety of choices. The Ubuntu Software Center I think sucks because not every program you would like for Ubuntu is not available. The repositories are not working and in addition the Update Center is not working anymore due to some of the repositories are corrupted in Ubuntu 11.04. Well I hope Ubuntu 11.10 provides a better solution then 11.04. We will see next month, keep watching the forum. I will eventually provide more information of my experience with Ubuntu 11.04.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What programs/software that work with Ubuntu 11.04
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What programs/software that work with Ubuntu 11.04
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What I have working with Ubuntu 11.04 so far

The following programs below work with Ubuntu 11.04:
Boxee
XBMC
Adobe PDF reader
Songbird
UrbanTerror
Docky
Picasa
Netflix
Hulu
Banshee
GNome player
Ubuntu One
Dropbox

- Collapse -
Good

Luck with Netflix, no Linux application yet.

However, you can run windows on Virtual Box OSE and you can run Netflix with Silverlight. BTW, that was on Mandriva Linux.

I posted on how to get XBMC, I am using it on Mandriva and is on their repos.

Not to flame the *ubunts, just why are you still on it when Mandriva is way easier to use?

CNET Forums

Forum Info