Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

What program is best?

by Dkt_Gases / May 6, 2004 12:22 AM PDT

I have some spyware/adware in my pc.
I need to remove it, I'm sick of going to any website and have ads pop under my IE.

There's a lot of programs out there... I was just wondering what one you'd suggest Happy I also need one that will take paypal as a payment method(if needed)

Thanks a million!

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Sorry, there is not "one."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: What program is best?

But four free ones that take care of most issues.

Spybot, Adaware, Cwshredder and Housecall.

For the more advanced user, look to add Hijackthis.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:What program is best?
by Yew / May 6, 2004 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: What program is best?

Also, in addition to what Bob said, consider switching to Mozilla as your browser. It will help you keep from being reinfested with spyware since most spyware is written to exploit the lax security measures in IE. Even if someone did target spyware at Mozilla users, you can't do "drive-by" installs like with IE. You have to click on a link to install something, AND a dialog box will pop up making sure you want to do this. It may seem like a bit of a hassle, but compare it to the hassle of dealing with spyware.

If you use Mozilla's email client over Outlook Express, then you get the added bonus of making yourself immune to all current email born worms, and being able to disable JavaScript for ONLY the email client will make you immune to all future email worms that work off of executing a script.

And if you ever decide you want to give Linux a shot, you can carry over all your settings to the Linux version of Mozilla, as well as having a familiar interface.

You've always got IE for those one or two rare pages that won't work in anything but IE, and Windows Update. It's completely free software, so all you've really got to lose is some time and effort.

Collapse -
I use Mozilla too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

In addition and if I didn't write it, ANY preview of email in Outlook or Outlook Express is downright dangerous and considered unsafe computing.

Same goes for opening unsolicited email.

Defend yourself.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:What program is best?
by dschauer / May 6, 2004 1:05 PM PDT

I agree 100% with what Bob and yewanchors say. In addition to running any and all of the programs Bob listed, and moving away from Microsoft's Internet/Email programs:

1.) Use Antivirus software. Even better, whether you have an always-on connection or not, use an av program that can automatically update its protection when an internet connection is present. Remember to scan any attachments or files downloaded from the internet before opening them.

2.) Use Windows Update. Even if you are not running IE or Outlook, there are still flaws in Windows that you need to contend with. While less common, not all viruses need email or even a web browser to spread. In addition, be sure to update other software on your computer.

3.) Be safe. Don't open files you aren't expecting (and haven't scanned for viruses). Read through software (especially freeware) license agreements, so you know what's coming along with your software. Use the tools mentioned in this thread. And use common sense to avoid compromising your system's security.

Dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!