Question

What problems expect start up 5 year old desktop?

I bought an HP Pavilion Media Center m7590n PC desktop in 2006 w/19" widescreen monitor, battery backup system, HP printer,wireless mouse and keyboard etc...It's all been sitting in its original packaging ever since unopened for 5 or 6 years! I realize the technology has improved but its pretty nice and loaded with features.
What special steps and procedures should I take when setting it up and starting it up?
Is it worth the trouble even or should I just sell it, I paid 1150.00 dollars for all the stuff listed and some AV and a 3 yr prot plan?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What problems expect start up 5 year old desktop?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What problems expect start up 5 year old desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Depends

Well, you can resell it "unopened" and check offers, that's up to you.

if you plan to use it, then I would definitely get a new CMOS battery as required before any use, 5-6 yrs. it maybe too old or weak. Next, open the box and set it up and run it. Your packing slip should offer what it has and compare to today's offering. Use the S/N# or model# and check HP support fro specs on your PC.

As for AV and protection plan, those are moot points now, clearly "outdated". About the only thing I would keep is the monitor or sell as part of the package, "unopened" maybe for $200 for all or check offers. Go online and see what a PC like yours is going for.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
Still in box

WOW, I'd fire that baby up and check it out just for the fun of it. That is an XP media set up and in it's day (for a ready made box) was a pretty decent set up. I suppose you could sell it but you'd not likely get anything near what you originally paid for it. The proof is in the pudding, I'd fire it up and go from there. Something that might be a concern are the service packs/updates, could be an issue. As far as the hardware function is concerned I'd be willing to bet it would fire up and run, the rest of the set up would be up to you, personally I think it would be a lot of fun. Good luck!!!!

- Collapse -
Answer
it's a no brainer!

Fire that baby up and ROCK!!

CNET Forums