Question

What printers handle printing on heavy paper?

I print about 40 photo calendars on heavy paper (40 - 90 lb stock) every christmas. I need a new printer (or two) that are made to do the job and do it well and fast. Any advice?

Note: I print on some calendars on both matte and glossy stock as well as card stock when requested. My 3 old canon pixma printers have done it for years but they feed regular paper poorly now and they are terribly slow taking about 30 hours to do the job.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What printers handle printing on heavy paper?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What printers handle printing on heavy paper?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Check current maker websites

You need a serious printer and most basic home printers aren't going to cut it for long. I suggest you visit any of the printer websites and look over what they offer. Stick to commercial or industrial type printers, more robust ones. HP offers "Designjet" as a clue and Okidata is good source as well. However, none of these are going to be cheap. Take my advise and be sure the option for "direct paper pass through" printing for heavy stock is best. In other words the less bending or passage of paper as easy as possible. Understand there are other less commonly known printer makers than offer what you like to have but these are generally heavy duty sided models, so be sure not to dismiss them or seek "used". You may want to google for "printing services" just to see what they use.

http://www.google.com/search?ix=sea&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=commerical+inkjet+printer

http://graphics.kodak.com/US/en/applicationsolutions/commercialprinting/default.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=commercial%2bprinters&utm_campaign=ocmo%2bus

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -

thank you for the info. i took a look at some of your links and it looks like i have a lot more work to do.

- Collapse -
Answer
If I were you

If I were you, I would be looking at laser printers. Not the cheap individual user laser printers, but more into the small business area; the enterprise level machines are probably not going to be cost effective for you. You'll want to make sure they can handle glossy paper of course, mainly that the heat from the fuser wouldn't melt the glossy coating, but it'd probably give you a better quality output both because color laser printers tend to be CYMK instead of RGB, so you get one extra color for mixing, plus laser printers can output much sharper images in a much shorter period of time than inkjets. They are also considerably cheaper to own on a per page basis. The average inkjet cartridge might be good for say 100 pages at 10% coverage, whereas the average laser printer toner cartridge (which costs more or less the same) is good for around 3-5,000 pages at the same coverage rate.

- Collapse -

thanks for the info. it looks like i have a lot more learning to do.

- Collapse -
Answer
Printing on heavy stock

One approach to getting a home printer to handle heavy stock is to choose one that has a straight through paper path. This means a rear loading tray so that the paper doesn't have to make a U-turn to get in line with the printhead. This would make handling the heavier stock simpler and less likely to jam in the turnaround area. A quick test might reveal that aparticular unit can't handle the stock when the printhead leaves streaks on the page, meaning it is incompatible to handle the thicker stock.

- Collapse -

All 3 of my printers have a rear tray. Those trays were used to handle the heavy stock, and it did for a few years and it still does, but it now will not handle 20 lb. paper. Those printers were good, but at their best they were slow. so now it's time to junk them and go on to something better. Thanks for the info.

CNET Forums