General discussion

What price point would you buy an iPhone?

Jun 17, 2007 1:17PM PDT

I mean in a real world situation, where you have to switch phone companies if need be, learn the whole touch screen process and abandon your existing phone.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What price point would you buy an iPhone?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What price point would you buy an iPhone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Well
Jun 17, 2007 1:32PM PDT

Since I'm already paying a 50 dollar penalty for changing phones, I'd say 449.99

Alex

- Collapse -
It should be noted...
Jun 18, 2007 1:23AM PDT

That on the chart of competing phone comparisons (released by Apple @ http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/18iphone.html):

- iPhone in most respects was superior in specs to the other phones
- According to the CNET prices, iPhone was only the 2nd or 3rd expensive on the list. Nokia N95 and Treo went up to more expensive prices.

Alex

- Collapse -
$300
Jun 17, 2007 3:12PM PDT

and if and only if a data plan added only $5 a month to my current voice plan. (for a grand total of $35/month)
Not gonna happen.

- Collapse -
like never
Jun 17, 2007 9:24PM PDT

since it's the worst phone ever

on a serious note, I live in uk and since the carrier hasn't been decided, there is a possibility of it not arriving to uk

- Collapse -
or.......
Jun 17, 2007 10:51PM PDT

More likely it'll be sans contract, which is actually more appealing to me, though I expect the price will have a sting in the tail.

- Collapse -
The worst phone EVER?..
Jun 18, 2007 3:03AM PDT

Obviously you have never used the Motorola ROKR

- Collapse -
Assuming...
Jun 17, 2007 11:03PM PDT

...that I can suspend my fiery hatred of att/cingular for a moment, assuming I didn't already have an ipod and a fully functioning phone, and assuming that I was a glutton for the early adoption trap of wishing I'd waited for all the bugs to be worked out... I'd pay $200 or so. The tech is pretty cool, but money is money, and $500 is is a ton to me.

- Collapse -
since I am a cingular/att customer already
Jun 17, 2007 11:07PM PDT

$499-$599 sounds good to me.

- Collapse -
I am a Cingular customer already but the price seems steep
Jun 17, 2007 11:38PM PDT

I have spent $200 in the past for a smart phone, so I would go that high, but $500-600 seems like too much. I am especially interested in seeing how it does 1st gen. Wonder what glitches it will develop, etc.

- Collapse -
it's not just price.
Jun 18, 2007 12:34AM PDT

It also has to do a job. In this case it would have to replace my PDA. The key appliations on my PDA are a password manager, a list program, and a GPX file viewer.

Without those, it's just not worth it.

- Collapse -
$250 for iPhone, but VZN has $175 early term'n fee...
Jun 18, 2007 12:36AM PDT

...so I'll wait till my contract is up.

- Collapse -
$200 if it was actually decent.
Jun 18, 2007 1:02AM PDT

I refuse to spend more then this on ANY phone.

- Collapse -
I don't have issue with the price
Jun 18, 2007 1:10AM PDT

I'd pay for it at the current price, but I consider 8GB to be pathetic for a portable media device.

- Collapse -
Probably none
Jun 18, 2007 2:43AM PDT

Call me cheap or whatever, but I'd probably just get a comparably-equipped phone from the competition at a lower price. There's certain areas where I'm willing to pay a premium for what I want, but when it comes to phones and portable media devices I think there's already some great, less-expensive choices out there that would more than suit my wants/needs. If I were on Cingular a little Blackjack would be all I'd personally need.

Plus, I just can't go without Verizon. Most of my friends and family are on it and its the only provider that gets coverage in some of the more rural areas where some of my family members live.

- Collapse -
Coverage is an issue
Jun 18, 2007 3:04AM PDT

Cingular is great where I live (in the California Bay Area). When I go to rural areas of the Midwest, it's awful. So as long as you don't travel outside of a good coverage area, you are OK, but who stays in one place all the time these days?

- Collapse -
Add a few things...
Jun 18, 2007 3:42AM PDT

... 3G, expandable flash storage, real push with Exchange Server support (don't mind paying extra for this, it has to be there though), as well as double the battery life + replaceable batteries, bluetooth keyboard support(I'm not sure whether this is actually being offered with the iPhone) and a working EQ on the music player with an option to have either iTunes compatibility or Mass Storage Class music loading, and I'll happily pay $600 on contract.

Otherwise it's just an overpriced, compromised toy for me.

- Collapse -
Total:
Jun 18, 2007 6:59AM PDT

Including the $200 cost to get out of my contract?

$450- $500

- Collapse -
If you're interested...
May 1, 2009 11:41PM PDT
- Collapse -
What price point would you buy an iPhone?
Jun 18, 2007 7:25AM PDT

I would pay $199.00 for the iPhone with a two year contract when I could get out of mine that is how much I would pay.

- Collapse -
Selling I-phone for $120
May 1, 2009 11:33PM PDT
- Collapse -
The issue is durability...
Apr 15, 2009 3:09AM PDT

Honestly? An iPhone? No. I've seen the screens get damaged far too easily for them to be an option. Stuff it in your pocket, something rests against it a bit too hard, and you have an unreadable touch screen that no longer responds.

Now, if they were around $70 or less, (seriously, I wouldn't pay a dime more for it) maybe I'd want one. But as a phone I have to have for two years, I know something will happen to the touch screen, not a doubt in my mind. I have a Blackberry, much more durable. Both have good points, both have bad. But at least it's far less likely that I'll have some sort of damage that totally disables my phone.

I confess, they are cool, but for me, impractical.

- Collapse -
It's tempered glass
Apr 15, 2009 4:12PM PDT

It survives most drops. But more importantly, it was picked because it's virtually scratch proof. And that's the most likely way a touchscreen phone would get damaged right. I really don't see how they could have made it more robust. Well the plastic can get stress fractures, they should go back to the aluminium.

- Collapse -
Apr 16, 2009 5:01AM PDT

And a reasonable Data and Voice plan fee. Which AT&T doesn't have.

- Collapse -
AT&T is ripping Americans off
Apr 16, 2009 10:26AM PDT

Note the price of a 16GB iPhone is $600USD so that's coming out of your bill one way or another.
I'm in Australia, it's on 3 carriers so lots of compeition.
I paid $50 a month, which is $36USD. And nothing upfront.
AT&T costs more than twice as much as optus does here than, and more than many other carriers around the world too.
However, they cap me at just 500MB. But that's more than other carriers here...

- Collapse -
If I didn't have iPhones on contract already,
Apr 17, 2009 1:23AM PDT

in terms of functional merit I'd call it reasonably fair to pay the same as a Touch with half the memory - as a half-assed smartphone with some nifty apps which need a 3G radio for best results, and that's without a contract.

The fact is, whatever is said about it its a cruddy PHONE, i.e. the thing that you put to your face and talk into, and it is frequently an issue for me for both voice and data in the way that my Nokias and Sonys were/are not a problem.

Mine are on contract and they're basically my backup phones, while I also get iPod functionality. I need more than one line anyway and the iPhone data plan over here is not too bad - so although the phone is on the sucky side, the fact that I basically get a Touch with web which works most of the time is fine for my uses. It would be good though if the overhyped trinket actually was a phone worth using.

I see a lot of iPhone bleats for O2 / AT&T on coverage. People who don't know better - and I include a large percentage of the tech media in that - blame everyone else but Apple for a substandard experience on Apple hardware. It's at the same time laughable and also kinda sad at how incredibly effective marketing is on the credulous.

- Collapse -
Well
Apr 17, 2009 1:55PM PDT

Tests have shown reception problems come from the networks and not iPhone.
http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=400&a=441105
I think the problem comes from how common 2100mhz frequency band is for 3G. And how poor that frequencies signal properties are. No penetration power at all. Any where with a lot of hills or concrete you'll get reception issues.
Lower frequencies should be fine, 850mhz is used by AT&T. But a lot of their network is also on 1900mhz.
I think the issues come from weaknesses of 3G networks in comparison to 900mhz GSM networks.
So try disabling 3G.
In terms of a phone user interface though, I think it's the one I've ever had, the favourites list, searchable contact list. I never have to bother to remember phone numbers again.

- Collapse -
Only for fanboys
Apr 18, 2009 9:53PM PDT

is that test proof that the issue is not from the iPhone.

I have two different phones on the same carrier as I said, and the Nokia does not have the voice quality / coverage + data coverage issues the iPhone has.

- Collapse -
That could be anything
Apr 18, 2009 10:12PM PDT

From the frequencies the phones support to whether the phone is using HSPA.

- Collapse -
Not price
Apr 22, 2009 4:38PM PDT

It's not the price point - it's the carrier.

Imagine if when buying a Mac - Apple said you could only use AT&T U-Verse to connect to the internet. I'd bet sales would drop big time on Macs.

I'll get an iPhone when I can choose my carrier. I refuse to give any money to AT&T.

- Collapse -
iphone not for me
Apr 28, 2009 11:32PM PDT

Iphone is not something I am interested in, for any price... Mostly because of Apple, not because of the phone. Though, I am very happy with my G1. Unless I am streaming music, my battery lasts through the day.

I don't like how the app store is being run. Milk drinking program allowed, beer drinking program not allowed???, baby shaking program allowed, baby shaking program not allowed.

Podcaster program not allowed because we want to do that...

Lots of examples where I don't need my phone making company to censor me. I also don't like how Apple abandons older hardware so quickly and takes away functionality in newer hardware for political reasons. Not allowed to play a video ipod on a TV? please...

CNET Forums

Forum Info