Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What ports are closed because of SP2?

by JamesL / December 16, 2004 10:40 PM PST

And how can I open them? The ports I want opened are the that deal with me downloading because I think that they're causeing my download speed to be crippled dramtically.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What ports are closed because of SP2?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What ports are closed because of SP2?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just below is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2004 10:45 PM PST
Collapse -
hmmm,,,
by JamesL / December 16, 2004 10:52 PM PST
In reply to: Just below is...

Yea that's my discussion from earlier if you didn't notice and I tried those options already and they still didn't work. Also can you be a little more specific about these ports are? Where at in the control panel. Opening and closing ports is new to me sorry about that.

Collapse -
No. I can't! Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2004 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm,,,

There are some 64,000 ports and double that if we try both UDP and TCP. You surely can't expect any member to list all the blocked ports?

However, I can point you to the new Security Panel in the Control Panel and in the manage firewall options you can see what ports are allowed.

As to the other thread, I will no longer respond to this one since you have an open and ongoing thread...

Ever think about installing Zone Alarm and turning off the SP2 firewall?

Bob

Collapse -
R. Proffitt
by billzhills / December 17, 2004 12:53 AM PST

Bob,

I think we where posting at the same time as I
provided a web link with all the posts listed.

Also doesn't the web only operate on common ports?
Meaning port 80 is for the WWW, another for IM and so on. Allowing communication between computers or networks without user intervention unless their is a special need.

Bill

Collapse -
The neat thing about TCP/IP is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: R. Proffitt

You are welcome to use any port number for your application that you write. However, if you pick something that is in-use or is blocked your application may not flourish.

Nothing stops you in this regard.

Sort of a Darwin thing.

Bob

Collapse -
The neat thing about TCP/IP is...
by billzhills / December 17, 2004 1:56 AM PST

Leaning on you here Bob.

Networking is something I am still learning.
And I understand what you are saying about the use of
TCP/IP port numbers.

The orginal poster in both his post is thinking SP2 is his problem and unblocking more ports will increase his download speeds.

If a firewall does not block normal Internet traffic ports and poster is using these ports, increasing the number of open ports will not increase download speed only increase the systems vunerability. Increasing the MTU might but from what I have read it has dubious results. Correct?

Have also heard of bandwidth throttling by ISP for accounts that exceed max bandwidth use. Any thoughts on this?

BIll

Collapse -
Throttling the user.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 2:00 AM PST

Yes. Reports continue to note such. And P2P users rarely have the nerve to call their ISP and inquire about it.

As to the MTU and more, the ISP should note if such is required for their network, but my experience is that form 99% of us, the stock values work.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks
by billzhills / December 17, 2004 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: Throttling the user.
Collapse -
Web Links
by billzhills / December 17, 2004 12:36 AM PST

Port numbers and uses
http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~s_ita/port/port1-99.html

Information Links
http://www.itprc.com/tcp_ip.htm

Bandwidth throttling (not related to Roadrunner)
http://support.zeus.com/print.cgi/doc/zws/v4/userthrottle.html

P2P network tweaks
http://helpdesk.salisbury.edu/outages/bandwidthHog.htm

James,

Opening your ports will not change download speeds, nor do I think Sp2 has any involvement. You may have exceeded your ISPs bandwidth max use and have been flaged as a bandwith hog. No dig intended just the way it is. No Isp will admit to this throttling of bandwidth but they will do so.

Bill

Collapse -
Could I just add,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Web Links

that with P2P software the P2P web sites should have information on how to configure firewalls to allow the software to work.

If a particular P2P does not have it's own web site advice, (and WinMX comes to mind for me), there are plenty of helpful web sites devoted to particular P2P programs, and also dedicated forums.

Hope you don't mind me butting in.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!