The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What phone to get...

by robstak / April 26, 2010 5:34 AM PDT

Man are these exciting but tumultuous times to be in the market for a new phone! I am on the fence myself, and am looking to crowd source an answer. Which would you pick?

1. ATT iPhone
2. Verizon iPhone
3. Verizon HTC Incredible
4. Verizon HTC Droid
5. T-Mobile HTC Touch HD2
6. T-Mobile Google Nexus One
7. Sprint HTC Evo 4G
8. Wait for Windows Phone 7
9. Other

I've outlined my thoughts over at my blog (pimp): http://robstak.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/in-the-market-for-a-new-phone/

What are your thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What phone to get...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What phone to get...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My pick:
by Slikkster / April 26, 2010 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: What phone to get...

I'm a Verizon customer, and the Verizon iPhone is still vaporware. The "Incredible" is probably going to be my pick, although if there was a Windows Phone 7 model available, I'd consider that, too. I'm a "New Every Two" customer who's been eligible for a new phone for a few years now, so the Incredible can be had for $99 plus the dang data plan they force on you. I'm still trying to stomach paying $80/month for a cell phone, though (voice/data), so I haven't pulled the trigger.

Collapse -
I got the Incredible
by Slikkster / May 6, 2010 9:14 AM PDT

I ended up pulling the trigger and got the HTC Incredible. Slick, sweet phone...very responsive due to the 1Gig processor. And, plays Flash videos. Take that, Apple!

Collapse -
Drawbacks?
by robstak / May 8, 2010 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I got the Incredible

Saw one in the bar tonight (not a prototype)... looked slick!

any negatives you've seen so far?

Collapse -
None so far...
by Slikkster / May 9, 2010 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Drawbacks?

I'm still getting used to the phone, and it's my first "smartphone", so I don't have real frame of reference as to how it is vis-a-vis other phones. I did show it to a techie guy at work who's a big Apple fan. He already has an iPhone 3G and just got the first wi-fi iPad. He thinks it's a great phone and was very, very impressed with the speed of the thing.

Now, comparing iPhone apps with the current Android apps catalog is a mismatch. But I think that as Android phones get more and more popular, the amount of apps will increase exponentially.

It does have voice search, where instead of typing in a search, you can voice it and it types out what you're looking for. I'm sure that's only as good as whatever speech recognition is.

I did turn OFF "GPS Location" because I'm inside most of the day, and I'm sure it was pinging away, burning up battery life. Once I turned that off (actually to 911 Location Only), I noticed battery life improve dramatically.

There's a free tethering app that I installed but haven't tried yet. I used the "Google Listen" podcast app to subscribe to BOL, and it works fine. Free, too.

Collapse -
tethering for free???
by robstak / May 14, 2010 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: None so far...

really this is allowed?? VERY interesting because that's really important to me...

Collapse -
Htc Incredibe
by opickens / July 3, 2010 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I got the Incredible

I'm thinking of going with the incredible. Too many bugs and problems with the new iphone

Collapse -
Most advanced of all
by white-bread / May 8, 2010 11:30 AM PDT

Two cans and a string: local calling.
Holding your hands to your mouth and yelling as loud as you can: Long distance.
Talking to someone while walking: Mobile calling.
Passing notes: Texting.
Telling someone to hold on while talking to another person: Call waiting.

Collapse -
Resolution: Evo 4G
by robstak / July 6, 2010 2:03 PM PDT

And I freakin' LOVE it.

My girlfriend went with the Incredible and its pretty good too, but mannnn that 4.3" screen is amazballs.

-dr.karl

Collapse -
Excellent
by Slikkster / July 6, 2010 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Resolution: Evo 4G

Be careful of battery life with the EVO (and the Incredible, for that matter). There are plenty of websites/threads about how to get better battery life out of these things. What am I talking about? Some people have found they can't go a complete day without these phones going dead. So, just be aware. But nice choice! HTC!

Collapse -
Not *AS* bad as I had expected, actually...
by robstak / July 8, 2010 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Excellent

After reading the scathing criticism from the usual tech media outlets, it's actually not that bad! I mean it's not great, but I'm not furious or wishing I had got something else. Granted, I am coming from the HTC touch, and after 3 years, it wasn't lasting a day either, so I guess I was coming from low expectations (aka I suppose if I had an iPhone that lasted 2 days between charges, then perhaps I'd be annoyed).

But, as things are now, I have no trouble getting through the day without charging. On heavy use days I'll charge it for 30 minutes while I'm at work, but I just leave a charger there so it's effortless.

In the end, imho, the screen is sooooo worth it, lol.

Collapse -
(NT) Out of curiosity, what is your battery life out of the box?
by minimalist / July 6, 2010 11:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Resolution: Evo 4G
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.