Question

what percentage does fuel usage increase by using A/C

Please answer this specifically,If i take all variables out of this question.say i started my car ,let it idle for 1 hour and measured fuel used.Then repeat procedure ,this time with A/C knob in the on position.Now again ,what is the fuel used this time?thats my root question.all the searching im doing and all answers are focused on other circumstances like aero dynamics ,and speed,.
I knoe the A/C compressor is driven by the same belt that drives all other engine componants,i realize some extra load would be added to the turning of the pulley system when the A/C compressor is engaged.That,I believe is the true and real answer Im after,this extra load cause the engine to work harder ,and usen more fuel,and again ,how much fuel is that?if anyone has a good answer please help.Ive been in a debate for a long time with some freinds on this.I personally,dont believe it could increase fuel usage by more than 5%.
thank you again

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: what percentage does fuel usage increase by using A/C
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: what percentage does fuel usage increase by using A/C
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
It's more complicated than that.
- Collapse -
yes

thanx bob
i have an idea now,i guess its not a fixed answer ,its a reletively grey area,with lots of options ,and conditions.
thanks

- Collapse -
It's a lumpy curve. In ASCII it looks like this.

From prior readings I think it lumps closer to the 10% mark.

8%
20%

Hope that helps.

- Collapse -
Answer
Fuel Use with Aircon

Most car aircon systems will have a thermostat to control the supply air temperature. If not you can adjust the supply air temperature to suit the required condition. A car aircon system works the same way as any other heating or cooling system. So the amount of energy, or fuel used will vary according the the demand on the system. If you have four people in the car and it is sitting in the car in the midday sun the demand will be much higher than it would if you are sitting in the car alone, perhaps shielded from the sun too.
You are right that there will be energy used by the mechanical components of a car aircon system but only when the compressor is engaged because the system is requiring cooling. When there is no demand the compressor spins without load so the fuel use is minimal.
I doubt that fuel useage be would be more than 5% especially with a large engine doing the work.

CNET Forums