Resolved Question

What parts do I upgrade my computer to a gaming comp?

Hello guys, I'm very new to building a pc so i would love some help! I currently have a HP p7-1225 that I bought from Staples a couple of months back. It was alright playing lower end games, but then I got into playing GW2 recently. I've been getting low fps (30-45fps) and all the visual settings are on low Sad . Which parts do i upgrade so i can get better fps and visual settings or just a better overall gaming performance for the future? My spending cost is roughly $300 or less, but I'll spend a bit more if needed.

Specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...loc:2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5230179#N169

Discussion is locked
XxAkenoxX has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: What parts do I upgrade my computer to a gaming comp?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What parts do I upgrade my computer to a gaming comp?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
Yup......like Willy said

Gamers trap.

Best bang for the buck will be the gpu.
But your limited by your psu>>>>>300w.

If you keep that psu then shop for a hd 5450 video card.
It won't be great but better than your igp.

If you want to change the psu then you can go higher in the gpu area.
Your call.

- Collapse -
Answer
Best bet

You already fell into a "gamer's needs" trap, you're trying to improve an OEM type system. These generally don't lend themselves to better anything until you rethink the whole setup. That requires more cash and thought. However, your best bet is the video card route AND!!! verifying the PSU can handle it, thus replace as well. You can then think more ram and cpu, but video is the best option. Don't forget cooling also, it's becomes important once heat stress/build-up is part of the mix. Check gamer's websites for further help. Also, be warned, you go too cheap on stuff it will bite you, so shop well.

tada ------Willy Happy

- Collapse -
video card?

thanks for the comment!
I also looked at Bob b's comment and he mentioned about getting the hd 5450 video card.
How do i know if my computer is compatible or capable to use it?
btw any other video card suggestions?

- Collapse -
link
- Collapse -
Answer
try this

GPU and PSU is your best bet. Could also do CPU upgrading to around 3.0ghz if you want to.

CNET Forums