Question

What options do I have for NAS encryption?

I am currently building a NAS server configuration using FreeNas, I was wondering if I wanted to encrypt the contents of the NAS, what options do I have to do this? and how would it work?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What options do I have for NAS encryption?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What options do I have for NAS encryption?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you ask them?
- Collapse -
Nope, i haven't yet been to the forums over there.
I was hoping to get a response from someone who has had experience with freenas, rather than signing up to yet more forums.
- Collapse -
Then I'll comment about the encryption and data loss issue.

After too many requests to recover encrypted content for over a decade (maybe 2?) I will write that such is a bad idea if we need to keep our content safe and secure. Today we can easily keep a second copy on another drive or more and it's safe. You may find those that reduce their copy count to ONE LAST COPY then encrypt it then ask "What happened?" when they lose it.

Given my experience I can't help folk destroy their files.
Bob

- Collapse -
It not only has a forum.

It has documentation also. If that doesn't answer your question, their forum is a better place than this one.

I did a quick Google search for Freenas encryption, and in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS I found one of the features offered is "Disk encryption with geli" (geli is a link). That sounds promising, I'd say.

Kees

- Collapse -
Cheers

Thats even better as its a feature of FreeNas Grin

CNET Forums