HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

what notebook to buy.

by Timothy / January 31, 2004 2:14 AM PST

Hi, I'm going to be going to college this fall and am looking for a notebook computer. The main factor is probably price; I'd like to spend less than $1000. I'm looking at a Dell Inspiron 1100, but I'm not really sure what to get. I'd like some advice as to a cheap but reliable notebook.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what notebook to buy.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what notebook to buy.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:what notebook to buy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2004 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: what notebook to buy.

The sad item is that I've yet to find a truly reliable notebook. All are equipped ready for a virus/parasite/worm to invade and mess up the OS. All of them are pretty fragile with noteable exception of the Fujitsu Toughbooks and a militarized model that I forget the name of.

I do see that with some care, the OS can be shielded with firewalls, antivirus, anti-parasite tools, but that will hopefully be less painful one day.

The non-rugged laptops are something that I wish they would work on since dropping the unit about a foot can be the end of it. Again, with noteable exception of the Fujitsu Toughbook.

As to taking a laptop, setting on the desk and just using it, I don't see any make/model faring any better in "reliability." If this is the use intended, a rather nice under 1K model even from HP and others have 1.4 GHz Centrinos, DVD/CDRW, 256 or more RAM, 20 or more GB hard disks, WiFi, ethernet, modem and more for that price. Plus a much better wide screen with more display than the noted Dell.

Go shopping.

Bob

Collapse -
by futsoulja / January 31, 2004 1:39 PM PST

Hey ... check out this website. They have new laptops and are running a special this month. All of the laptop are $999.00 ... www.tampalaptops.com

Collapse -
Re:Re:what notebook to buy.
by BoeingDrew / February 15, 2004 6:31 AM PST

Hey futsoulja, I went to the site, but I'm a little worried that it's a fraud! have you bought from them? if so how are they? Thanks!

Collapse -
by mini87 / February 1, 2004 12:13 AM PST

If you want a good quality notebook, get the HP Pavilion ze4000 series. I got mine from Wal-mart for $900 and it came with Printer/Scanner/Copier all-in-one. I love it but don't expect to play latest games or it will lock up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.