Computer Help forum

General discussion

What? My Hard Drive is dying?

by mgd / April 7, 2006 10:45 PM PDT

I own a five year old Dell Desk top and i have been told "my hard drive is dying". The advise i got told me to just buy a new CPU. What makes this happen? Never had it before on any computer we owned. The Dell came with Windows ME and we deleted it and put Windows XP home edition on it. Did that do something damaging to the hard drive? What should i look for in a new CPU?
thanks, Mary

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What? My Hard Drive is dying?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What? My Hard Drive is dying?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Mary, why do you think the Hard drive is
by retired / April 7, 2006 11:02 PM PDT

dying? The CPU or central processing unit and Hard drive are two different components and one does not need to replace both if only one of them is failing, please give us a little more info.

Collapse -
This is the way the proprietaries
by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2006 1:00 AM PDT

sell new computers. The tech support that they would have to give to have their customers replace a hard drive is something they would prefer to do without.

So Mary came to the right place.

Collapse -
hard drive problem
by mgd / April 8, 2006 12:48 PM PDT

i was told that to replace the hard drive would be silly when for a little more money we could replace the whole CPU and with a five year old computer this would be the way to go, bigger hard drive, more speed, and a better value. so this is why i am looking.
Mary

Collapse -
Do you mean replace
by EZRIDER714 / April 8, 2006 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: hard drive problem

the whole computer? The CPU is just one of the several components that make up your computer.Hard drives are not nearly as expensive as a complete computer.Depends on how much money you want to spend.
EZ

Collapse -
Try This
by Scott Simontis / April 8, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

Find out what kind of hard drive you have in your computer. It might be listed on the front of your case, or otherwise, in the Device Manager. To get to the device manager, right click on "My Computer", select Properties, go to the hardware tab, and select Device Manager. Find the "Disk Drives" section and double click it to expand it. Your hard drive will be listed. All you need is the manufacturer.

Go to the manufacturer's website, and look for a hard drive diagnostic tool. It is a small utility you can put on a CD or floppy which will test your hard drive. The test will identify if your hard drive really is failing.

If you cannot find the utility, just tell me and I will find the right link for you.

If your hard drive really is dying, you do not need a new CPU. That has nothing to do with it. You just need to buy a new hard drive, and you can copy over your data. There are many professional services that will do this for you, or you can purchase an external hard drive and do it yourself.

Try this, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Collapse -
Remember that it is a proprietary
by Ray Harinec / April 8, 2006 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This

and the issue of the recovery partition becomes an issue.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thank you i will try what you said
by mgd / April 8, 2006 12:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Try This
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.