Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What more?

by Marie des Anges / April 1, 2006 7:14 PM PST

i have norton 2004,spyware doc,webroot,f-secure,hijackthis,errorkiller,spywareblaster,freeramxppro and avg 7.1.

Should i get nething more or is this enough?if this not enough then please suggest some.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What more?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What more?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is it enough
by tomron / April 2, 2006 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: What more?

Difficult for me to say since i'm not familiar with,spyware doc,webroot,freeramxppro,errorkiller.

I don't have norton 2004

I have f-secure,hijackthis,spywareblaster,and avg

In addition to the above mentioned:spybot,ad-aware,
cw shredder,microsoft baseline security,
malicious software removal tool,and ewido

do you have a firewall?

Tom

Collapse -
PC Protection
by chuck_moss / April 3, 2006 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it enough

I have two questions

(1)I have Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet security 2006, Spybot search and destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Registry First Aid, Spyware Blaster, Advanced system Optimizer, Windows MSRT, Windows Defender, Winpatrol, Microsoft Baseline security analizer 2 and Microsoft Antispyware.

Do I have all I need to protect my system?

(2)Does Microsoft Defender replace microsoft Antispyware (do they do the same job and should I keep both of them?

Thanks

Chuck Moss

Collapse -
Yep...it's a replacement...
by John.Wilkinson / April 3, 2006 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: PC Protection

Microsoft Antispyware was the early name for it, but when Beta 2 was released they decided to go with "Windows Defender," which is what they'll be using for the final release version, when it comes out. I believe Defender should have overwritten AntiSpyware, but if it didn't you should remove the latter. (It won't give you any extra protection and may even cause issues, such as when updating.)

Looking over your list, you've covered all of your bases pretty well...antivirus, firewall, and a couple of antiadware/antispyware applications. I'd consider myself pretty well protected and leave it at that, adding things such as Ewido, HiJackThis, etc only if/when you suspect a problem.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Three antivirus applications?
by John.Wilkinson / April 2, 2006 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: What more?

You noted Norton 2004 and F-Secure, but never stated which products you have. Antivirus? Firewall? Internet Security suites? That's a very important detail, as both companies produce a number of products.

Now, assuming that the above two are or include antivirus protection, you have three antivirus applications installed (including AVG). Are they all running at the same time? If so, there's a problem. You should only have one antivirus application running at a time to prevent conflicts that can cause more harm than good. Thus, choose one and either uninstall or at least disable the others.

I'm assuming you mean Spyware Doctor from PC Tools? If so, good.

When you say Webroot, I'm assuming you mean Webroot SpySweeper and not, say, WindowWasher. Personally, I think SpySweeper is superior to Spyware Doctor and would consider having both running a little excessive, but it won't do any harm. (Besides slowing down your computer...the more running at once the slower it will become.)

HiJackThis is good when you think things have gone sour.

Personally, I'd say FreeRAM XP Pro would be unnecessary, but again, it's up to you.

I've never heard of ErrorKiller before, so I cannot comment on how good it is or how it compares to the others. However, three full-powered real-time antispyware applications is excessive and will result in decreased system performance. I'd cut it back to one or two, and switch every so often if you like.

One glaring absence is a firewall, your first line of defense. It's like leaving your front door wide open, but then lining the foyer with machine guns. If you close and lock the door there's less chance of intruders and less of a need for excessive interior protection. (Look into something like ZoneAlarm, which has a free version.)

Other good security software includes Windows Defender, SpyBot, AdAware, and Ewido, all of which are free. However, with what you've got setup I wouldn't consider any of that necessary, and for use only if you think something's made it's way through the machine guns. Happy

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Reply to Three antivirus applications
by Marie des Anges / April 3, 2006 2:22 AM PDT

i have norton antivirus 2004,f-secure rootkit revealer,but do not have avg installed.
Then i have windows XP firewall and i have spybot S & D.

Can u tell me what ewido is actually?

Collapse -
Sure...
by John.Wilkinson / April 3, 2006 3:49 AM PDT

Ewido is a security program that catches malware across the board...spyware, keyloggers, trojans, and worms. The download from ewido.net includes a free 14-day trial of the Plus version...after the trial the functionality is reduced but it's still an excellent scanner. I'd compare it to a combination of Webroot SpySweeper and AdAware.

Now, there's one other thing I'd like to note...the Windows firewall is insufficient. Some may disagree, but with its limited functionality and disregard for outbound traffic (it only protects against inbound), it's not good enough to be of significant use. I'd much rather use a freebie such as ZoneAlarm. (I'd highly recommend downloading/installing it and disabling the Windows firewall as soon as possible.)

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?