Cameras forum

General discussion

what model to use for mtn biking?

Hello, this is all very new to me. I'm looking for a compact or ultra compact camera to take with me when I go mountain biking.

The number one concern for me is shutter speed. It seems most of my friends who have digi cam's have very slow shutter speed. Which in turn, causes us to have "after the fact" shots.

Any and all advice/input is greatly apprectiated.
Thank you,
mtb-tep

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what model to use for mtn biking?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what model to use for mtn biking?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shutter Lag is the Culprit

In reply to: what model to use for mtn biking?

Shutter speed is not your problem. What you are referring to is called "shutter lag" -the length of time from depressing the shutter release button to when the picture is actually recorded. This shutter lag time is inherent to all digital cameras to some degree. When you shop for a new camera, look for one that has minimal lag and your problems will be solved.

Collapse -
Shutter Lag

In reply to: what model to use for mtn biking?

Casio seems to have found the secret for short shutter lag.

They have several cameras that testing shows to have only a 0.1 second shutter lag. That is awsome by digital camera standards.

I would assume you want something small enough to fit into a shirt pocket.

Check out the Z55....

Here is a review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/ex-z55.html

Collapse -
Shutter lag can be overcome

In reply to: Shutter Lag

to some extent by practice and taking lots of pictures...that is the great thing about digital cameras.

Some of the pictures are bound to be good.

Collapse -
Shutter Lag

In reply to: Shutter lag can be overcome

can be (effectively) reduced by using the two step method of taking a photo.

1. Frame the shot and press the shutter button half way down.
2. Reframe the shot and press the shutter the rest of the way down.

Step one gives the autofocus mechanism time to lock, which is the greatest amount of time. (from 0.2 to 0.6 second)

Step two takes the photo and stores it. This usually takes only 0.1 second.

The reported shutter lag for the Casio Z55 is:
Step one - 0.1 second
Step two - 0.01 second

By digital camera standards....that is ''smokin'''.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!