HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

What mediaplayer do you recommend?

by Sir toby / December 9, 2004 4:17 AM PST

Hi,
I've been using Musicmatch and have an lifetime upgrade.
However, I'n not happy with the latest 9.0, it's too heavy and loads my CPU more than I think is needed. And it so slow when starting up.

What freeware would you recommend?

I would like to use one that is similar to Musicmatch with libary, playlists, etc. It's no thtat importent with all that online stuff.

I've got a laptop with XP pro, 1.7 M processor, 2G RAM and an Edirol UA-1000 USB soundcard.

Best Regards

Tobias Karlsson in Sweden

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What mediaplayer do you recommend?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What mediaplayer do you recommend?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: What mediaplayer do you recommend?
by denniseckhaus / December 9, 2004 10:01 AM PST

Sir Toby,

Have you tried the free Windows Media Player 10 from Microsoft? Download it from the Windows Media Site rather than Windows Update so you will have the install file to reinstall over itself if you run into future problems.

It now comes with an mp3 encoder, no more purchasing separately from Cyberlink. If you want better quality encoding than WMP or even MusicMatch go to audiograbber.com and use that with the Lame encoder (instuctions on the site). If you want control of your mp3 collection go to magnus-brading.com for mp3Wizard.

WMP has an excellent library system built in. For a cool visualization go to soundspectrum.com and get G-Force.

Other options include winamp.com, quinnware.com, or foobar2000.

I, too, have a lifetime MusicMatch Deluxe but don't use it since it hasn't got along with any cdrom drives I've had. It's a shame because I always liked the radio. You can, however use WMP for internet radio as well.

An interesting observation: It's always seemed to me that Microsoft had an okay no frills media player but noticed what SourceForge was doing with Siren Jukebox. They liked it, so enticed SourceForge into a cooperative deal. Having access to the Siren Jukebox technology, Microsoft developed WMP7. Sort of a Siren Jukebox built into the OS! SourceForge/Sony, seeing that almost all the features were now built into Windows, discontinued further development.

I experimented with the last version of SirenJukebox, still available at the Sony site, a while back when a basic version was included with my old Acoustic Edge sound card. I found a hack that unlocked the deluxe version since they won't sell it anymore. Funny, I thought, this is an early version of WMP7! Everything worked on XP except, since Sony isn't updating its cd-rw compatibility, the cd-writer produced disks that had problems moving through tracks. Since WMP7,8,9,10 gives me everything SirenJukebox has I ended the experiment.

Anyway, Microsoft did a great job with WMP10. Even though originally someone else's technology (what from them wasn't?), it works great.

Collapse -
Re: What mediaplayer do you recommend?
by Sir toby / December 10, 2004 7:04 AM PST

Hi Dennis,

Lots of good suggestions and thought that you toke the time to give me, THANKS!

Yes, I tried WMP10, but it feelt strange, couldn't find the "radio button" so I went back to no 9, it felt weird to me bt I guess it's me being stupid Happy
I like to listen to all the free radio stuff at WMP9.

I'm truly going to cjeck out all of you suggestions!
Too bad that Musicmatch is so bulky these days, ither wise I like it, it has an easy interface for me.

Thank you so much for taking the time, really helpfull for me.

Best Regards

Tobias Karlsson in Sweden

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.