Laptops forum

General discussion

What laptop should I get??

Hi guys... I'm new here.. but anyways I wanna get a laptop and I dont know much about computers. Im looking for something with 512MB RAM, at least 60GB hard drive,at least 14" screen and a centrino processor, and a wireless network card. I want a known brand which is fast, tough and reliable, at a price range $1000-$1600CAD. I could use all the help in the world so if anyone has suggestions or websites I could check out or any information I can use, please do let me know. I was looking at Toshibas but I couldn't find anything to meet my requirements at my budget.I would REALLY appreciate help!! thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What laptop should I get??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What laptop should I get??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Notebooks Everywhere

In reply to: What laptop should I get??

Dear Butterfly88, choosing a laptop with a fixed budget in a market flooded with options and categories can be quite a hectic job these days. But whatever the brand name, just remember to get max possible features, in one package for really less and with good after-sales support. Check out the following websites:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca
http://www.futureshop.ca

Few notebooks in this category are:

1. Dell Inspiron 700M.

2. Acer TravelMate 4052 series, 8000 series, 8100 series. (All are customizable)

3. IBM R51 Series (Customizable as per your choice)

4. Compaq Presario V2140CA

You can consider any other laptop also but remember to buy something that will bring you years of great computing experience without having to contact support off and on. Its better to get a complete hands-on experience of different notebooks before buying. Similarly, consider these features too:

1. Wirless connectivity 802.11b/g
2. Bluetooth
3. Minimum 3 USB Ports
4. Firewire 1394 Port
5. FIR
6. Combo Drive (minimum)
7. Battery Life (3 hrs at least)
8. S-Video Out

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Notebooks Everywhere

Fouad,
Thanks a lot. This is definitely a lot of help. I'll consider those features and look into those sites. It's really good you told me about them because I don't really understand what they are and their significance. It was good hearing from you and thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dell 9300 or HP ZD8000

In reply to: What laptop should I get??

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: (NT) Dell 9300 or HP ZD8000

Okay thanks, I'll look into that!

Collapse -
not 9300 or 8000

In reply to: Thanks

I like the ZD8000, I'm planning on buy it, but it is not that portable, and it certanly doesn't have centrino technology. I would probably choose another Dell or HP that does have centrino technology. THe dell will be a more expensive option though. Also, I agree with what the other guy said, make sure it has all that stuff. A DVD & CD burner is nice if You don't have a Desktop that has a DVD burner. If you don't get the DVD burner, at least get the DVD writer so you can watch movies.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.