Laptops forum

General discussion

What laptop should I get?

by demize81 / May 7, 2010 4:12 PM PDT

Hey!

I am looking to get a laptop and my budget is $999. I want the best bang for the buck.

I don't neccesesarily need you to tell me a specific laptop to buy although that would be nice, but the specification I would need for the computer use I do would be okay too.

My computer use: I surf the web constantly! Lots of Facebook, email, youtube. I will do some video and photo editing. Maybe some flash gaming. I will probably use microsoft office a lot. I will always be listening to music also.

Multitasking needs: I will probably have iTunes running, with my web browser running my email, facebook, and google searching and will also have microsoft word or powerpoint running.

So at least tell me the computer specifications I need, or tell me the exact laptop PC. The "how portable is the laptop factor" is not an issue.

Ok thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What laptop should I get?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What laptop should I get?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try the top of this forum?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

It has a few laptop pickers but I need to add the one at newegg.com
Bob

Collapse -
laptop suggestion
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / May 10, 2010 6:04 AM PDT

Hi!

I used the PC Scout laptop chooser and entered in some of your specifications. One laptop worth checking out is the Toshiba Satellite A505-ST5608. It has 4 GB of RAM and 1.6 GHz Intel

Collapse -
Thanks
by demize81 / May 10, 2010 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop suggestion

I never knew Microsoft had PC scout!..I will play around the service and get back to you.

Thanks

Collapse -
Hello Isabella
by demize81 / May 10, 2010 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop suggestion

Hello Isabella, I am sorry, I forgot to say that I want a Blu-ray drive in the computer also.

Thank you for the recommendation of the Toshiba.

Would the 1.6Ghz i7 be enough? Microsoft PC Scout said I need at least 2GHz

I customized a Dell Studio 15 on dell.com and it came out to be $995

Here are the specs on the Dell Studio 15:

Intel

Collapse -
laptop follow-up
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / May 10, 2010 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello Isabella

Hi there,

I'm happy to help.

As for the faster processor, I would say it depends on how much video editing you are going to be doing. When you are comparing processors, the first thing to check is whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit, and then check the number of cores, and lastly to check the speed. However, if you are concerned about the Toshiba, the Dell was another laptop I was going to recommend. My only concern is that the one you customized has 250 GB hard drive, versus the 500 GB original. 250 GB should be sufficient, unless you have a very large amount of files. You could also get an external hard drive if you run out of space.

It looks like that is going to be one fast machine. Nice work!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Thanks
by demize81 / May 10, 2010 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop follow-up

Yeah, honestly I'm all about cloud computing, so really the only things that i have on my computer are software, the actual OS and my personal music, videos and photos collection...so I think 250GB will be fine...right now im not even using 100GB total on all of my computers

Collapse -
processor
by demize81 / May 10, 2010 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop follow-up

also I still do not understand when you compared the two processors? Which one is faster, the i7 in the Toshiba or the i5 in the Dell?

Collapse -
processor
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / May 11, 2010 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: processor

Hi there,

The processor in the Toshiba is more powerful, but the processor in the Dell is faster. The number of cores reflect how much information your computer can process simultaneously; the speed is how fast the information is processed. The processor in the Dell should be able to perform all the functions you need it to just fine!

Does this help clarify?

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Sony.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2010 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello Isabella

Given the Avatar fiasco, for now you may want to stick with Sony until someone sorts out the blu ray situation.
Bob

Collapse -
???
by demize81 / May 10, 2010 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony.

What is the avatar fiasco? and why stick with sony?

Collapse -
I noted it so
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: ???

You could research it. Avatat on BR is not playing on many non-Sony brands. A discussion about this is worthy of its own discussion. At least someone noted it for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Typo city.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: I noted it so

Sorry I meant Avatar. This and newer titles are causing some players to have issues except for Sony players it seems. If you research the history you'll know why this is so.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.