Peripherals forum

General discussion

What kind of USB HDTV turner have a feature of subtitle

by sudongyue / July 30, 2009 1:03 PM PDT

Hi, I wanna get a USB TV turner that can turn my laptop into a HDTV. There are quite a lot of them at Newegg.com, such as Hauppauge, Plextor. Can anyone suggest what to buy? What is most important to me is that it has to enable subtitle, because I need to record some TV dramas and study American English through the subtitles.

Most of time I may use it with the cable TV signal, so the plug is what I concern. I notice that the plug is different between Canada and the U.S. If I want to make it work for both places, what kind of adapter should I get?

the portablity is also my concern because I travel. So I think USB models are better than those bigger ones.

Regarding the antenna, I heard people saying that the antenna that comes within the package is useless, or not very effective. I do have a old antenna that belong to my old analogue TV. The two sticks can stretch out very long. Can it be of any help to get signals over the air while I am at travel?

Best!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What kind of USB HDTV turner have a feature of subtitle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What kind of USB HDTV turner have a feature of subtitle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hauppauge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 10:09 PM PDT

I'd stick with Hauppauge. Details are at the Hauppauge web site so I will not duplicate that here and address other points in your question.

"I notice that the plug is different between Canada and the U.S. If I want to make it work for both places, what kind of adapter should I get?"

You'll have to supply a little detail. I lived in Vancouver, BC for over 8 years and the cable was via the same "F type" connection as I have here in Boston, USA.

As to the Antenna. You must be thinking of the new HDTV antenna. Just like old analog TV days better antennas do work better. Since it's not the antenna's fault that you are too far away from the TV transmitter there is nothing to add here from me. I am encountering folk that were never told how Over The Air (OTA) TV works. So they ask what could be taken as silly questions. Your question is not silly at all. It only brings up that many expect this to all work even when in remote areas of the NT.
Bob

Collapse -
close captioning
by sudongyue / July 31, 2009 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hauppauge.

Thanks Bob.

I will probably get a Hauppauge. But still I still need to know if it can activate the close captioning or not. As you mentioned the Hauppauge website, I went there but cannot find an answer for this from FAQ.

In terms of the plug, I think it was my mistake. There is no difference between LA and Toronto, as a friend told me.

Collapse -
CC support
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: close captioning
Collapse -
Thanks
by sudongyue / July 31, 2009 4:26 AM PDT
In reply to: CC support

Thanks again Bob. I am reading those threads and it is good to know that at least through some effort, some people can eventually get the CC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.