Question

What kind of speaker should i get for my small room?

I have ruled out traditional surround sound speakers as there isn't enough space and i would like to avoid running wires everywhere. The options i have considered are the yamaha ysp-4100, the zvox z-base 575(maybe hsd) and the sony ht-ct150. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages in my situation.

First of all the YSP is quite large and i would need to get the special stand for it. However that would lead to it being higher than where my head would be when i'm seated. Would it still work effectively? Does it matter how close i am to the sound bar (as i imagine it does). Will people who will be seated on a sectional about 5 feet away from the speakers position experience different sound?

The zvox is a very solid option as it would fit on my ikea hemnes tv stand and would supply with non surround sound. However it does not have hdmi input. Is that a big deal? Would i be better off with other speakers?

Lastly is the sony package. Nearly everything is perfect with this model for me except for one thing. The subwoofer. In my basement the tv stand is tightly squeezed between 2 bookshelves and placement for the sub makes it very difficult. Would getting a non subwoofer system be better for me?

I am open to other suggestions or questions about my needs and specifications.

Thank you - Kalden

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What kind of speaker should i get for my small room?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What kind of speaker should i get for my small room?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer

HDMI or not -- what will be connected to what? Cable box/sat box? AV receiver in the mix or just connecting the TV to the soundbar? Make and model of the TV, please.

- Collapse -
It will be connected to a samsung 50pnc540, no av receiver.

It will be connected to a samsung 50pnc540, no av receiver. Tv used primarily for movies and gaming

- Collapse -

If this room is so small you can't fit one of these mini sub woofers in it, how are you going to fit the people in to watch the movie?
Don't worry about HDMI -- you're not going to get DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD decoding with a sound bar. As long as the TV and the sound bar have compatible digital ports you're ok. As far as size requirements, for the most part a wireless subwoofer comes with a soundbar unless you get one with a woofer in the soundbar itself. It won't give you the same "bottom" as a standalone sub but it will give you a lower end presence. I believe these soundbars with built in woofers cost more than the ones with standalone sybs.
Granted you have space limitations but the beauty of a subwoofer (in most cases) are that they can be placed anywhere in the room and the soundbar subs are wireless -- you just have to be sure that the wireless signal to the sub is not too obstructed.
Or you can spend more money and get one with built in woofers.

- Collapse -
So

So i should be better off with the sony sound bar?

- Collapse -
scratch that

The sony sound bar's subwoofer isn't wireless. So should it be another sound bar or the Z-Base?

CNET Forums