TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What kind of receiver?

by DSBtwins / June 7, 2007 10:07 AM PDT

Alright I have a Vizio VW32L 32" TV, a Nintendo Wii, and a Panny es45vs DVD player. I wanna get some type of surround sound so I need to figure out what kind of receiver I need. Because the Vizio has no outputs I need to know how to setup everything. First I will run my TV cable through my DVD player. Then through its optical out I will connect it to the receiver. The HDMI slot will then be connected to the TV (will this transmit just the audio?). Anyways, next I bought the component cables for my wii so I will then run the audio portion to the receiver and the video to the TV (will this work?) Or should I run the two audio cords to the DVD which is then connected to the TV? ( will this transmit the high quality sound as my DVD has no component input only composite but the audio still only has two cords.)

Anyways if this is the case I will need a recevier that need only a digital optical input or one with digital optical input and component audio input.)

Please tell me what to do!!!
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What kind of receiver?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What kind of receiver?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Cable...
by HTHMAN / June 7, 2007 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: What kind of receiver?

If all you have is a basic cable coming from your wall and no cable box decoder, stop right there, you are done and you are not going to get surround sound.

First, you need to upgrade to a cable box or satellite box that has a 5.1 optical or digital coax audio output. That cable needs to go from the cable box to the receiver of your AV system (HTIB or components). Your DVD player will also go into the receiver, probably via component inputs/outputs (or HDMI if available-this also carries the sound so nothing else is needed)plus the digital optical or coax output from your DVD player to the corresponding input on your receiver. Everything else you hook up follows the same pattern on different inputs. Depending on the receiver and your preference, the video cables can either go through the receiver for audio/video switching or directly to the TV so you can use the TV's video switching on different inputs. Your choice. I prefer using the TV's inputs because I can watch TV with or without having the surround system turned on all the time.

I do not understand why you want to run something TO or THROUGH your DVD player. It is a PLAYER and that is all it does. It will not decode your cable or anything like that.

If you can return the TV, Vizio makes the same TV at the same price WITH outputs just different trim. That would solve most of your problems.

Collapse -
Still more advice...
by DSBtwins / June 8, 2007 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable...

Thanks so much for your response, I'm afraid I wont be trading the TV in so there is no output for that...

However, If I get an antenna could I connect that to the receiver as well as the cable from the wall? and if so could I watch the cable shows as well as the antenna shows without switching modes?

Anyways, so I would need only to connect the audio portions of everything to the receiver and then I could connect the video portions to the TV? If I connected the DVD player to the receiver by say component cables... then will it mess up the sound if I connect the DVD to the TV by a HDMI cable as well?

Finally does anyone know if I can connect just the two audio portions of the Wii component cable to the standard input on a receiver and the video portions to my TV?
Thanks again!

Collapse -
Bump
by DSBtwins / June 8, 2007 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Still more advice...

Please I need more advice!

Collapse -
I could use your help for sure
by skycop1951 / June 9, 2007 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable...

I have the Samsung 5054 and love it. It works, son got it going. I am using HDMI to connect it.But am sure I might not have it right. I have HD Direct box and a older reciever. Son did get a optical hookup but am sure it does not got to cable box, from the Technics to TV I think. All of this is alot for a older guy. If you got some time, have the inclination I could use some tips. Got a new Opp 981 coming, old Sony has audio going straight to my reciever. OH wow now My head is hurting. Ha :} OH my tv will presently not come through my reciever, remember I have that equalizer with the bose.Sound has to go through them. DVD plays through my reciever and sounds damn nice.

Well I am enjoying this stuff, still not idea on how to setup tv with some kind of cd? I got one from Circuit City when I bought it. I am getting there. Oh use Bose 901's and not replacing them. I will be gone do not care about surrond sound. I get good sound I think!

Bill

Collapse -
HEY, TWINS GO "BUMP" YOURSELVES..........
by Riverledge / June 9, 2007 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: What kind of receiver?

WHATEVER THE HELL THAT MEANS!!!
Going right into the "LINNFREAK" group!

R.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.