General discussion

What kind of port replicator?

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 with several peripheral devices hooked up to it. I am plugging in and unplugging these devices all the time, as I take my computer with me quite a bit. For this reason ( and also because I am out of USB ports), my co-worker suggested getting a port replicator, and that this will eliminate me having to plug and unplug all the time (?). He just warned me about getting one that is compatible with my notebook. I have done some preliminary research and am a little confused, so I thought I'd put it out there for some experts 8-)
I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to choose one, and if you have any recommendations.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What kind of port replicator?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What kind of port replicator?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You were vague about what and how many.
- Collapse -
Thanks for your suggestion 8-)

Thanks for the suggestion. Was wondering what it meant by "upstream/downstream." Is that something i need to worry about?
Also...how does it connect to my notebook?

(Sorry for the seemingly obvious ?'s...you're dealing wit the technologically challenged!

8-)

- Collapse -
Hmm, never thought too much about it. Here's...

Here's how I use this one. I have a PS/2 keyboard and mouse that I prefer. So I plug the hub into an USB port and that's the only connect to the laptop. Saves connecting printers and such.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info