General discussion

What kind of notebook external hard drive enclosure to buy?

i have a toshiba satellite m65-s809 laptop. and the motherboard is dead. so i called best buy's geek squad, that guy told me directly that it is just not worth it to repair it. and i can just use an enclosure to get to the files on my laptop.

my question is now that there are so many different types of enclosures out there, which one should i buy? will it actually work on the toshiba notebook hard drive which already has windows xp installed on it.

this internal hard drive has 22 parallel pins and 4 extra pins. and i have an enclosure that only has 20 pins. what is the difference anyway?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What kind of notebook external hard drive enclosure to buy?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What kind of notebook external hard drive enclosure to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
2 options.
- Collapse -
pins

yes, one pair of 22 pins, so that is total of 44. Wink

- Collapse -
external

so i should buy the ones that is 2.5" instead of the 3.5" which I suppose is for the regular desktop hard drive?

thanks.

- Collapse -
Why not use what you have?

There are economical adapters to let you use your existing case.

Bob

- Collapse -
i don't have a case.

my toshiba notebook's motherboard is dead in only 1.5 years. so i don't have a "case" to use.

i am thinking about buying an external enclosure, so i can just take out the toshiba hard drive and use it on desktop or my future laptop.

- Collapse -
"i have an enclosure that only has 20 pins"

In your first post... Did it vanish?

Anyhow I think you get it by now what your options are.

Bob

- Collapse -
mm

well, the motherboard is dead, so i can't even start the laptop. so i don't know how i can use it as a case?

- Collapse -
There are cases galore out there.

From not much to not much. And a fine way to salvage your files.

Bob

CNET Forums