Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

what kind of hardware do i need?

hi guys, i've been a pc user my whole life looking to switch to mac. problem is that i really like to play counter strike source, and some other older pc games that i have. i know i can install windows xp to play these pc games, but i dont know much about mac hardware. what kind of hardware would i need to run counter strike source good? i was thinking about getting a refurbished dual core mac mini to make the switch the cheapest way possible, but it has integrated graphics. is there any way to put in a video card, or do i need a whole other mac?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what kind of hardware do i need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what kind of hardware do i need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video Cards

In reply to: what kind of hardware do i need?

Changing out the video cards on any Mac, with the exception of the Mac Pro, is next to impossible.
You can configure one of the new iMacs with a better video card but cannot buy one separately.

If your proposed system meets the game requirements, you should be OK. I have no idea what the system requirements are for this game.

You could always keep the PC for playing games on and use a KVM switch with your Mac Mini and PC.

P

Collapse -
requirements

In reply to: Video Cards

the requirements for the game are:

Windows

Collapse -
Requirements

In reply to: requirements

Your choice of Windows version
Mini runs at 1.6 or 1.83 GHz
Mini comes with 512MB RAM expandable to 2GB
Not sure about the DirectX thing. Mac's don't do DirectX but I have seen Parallels, the other method of running Windows on a Mac, cope with DirectX
Mini does not come with a Keyboard or Mouse. Any USB KB or Mouse will do
Mini does not come with an Internet connection. You supply that and the Mini will use it.

Seems like you are set to go.

P

Collapse -
"Mini does not come with an Internet connection."

In reply to: Requirements

Collapse -
Read it again

In reply to: "Mini does not come with an Internet connection."

Of course the Mini has built-in ethernet.

System Requirements for the game include
Keyboard
Mouse
Internet connection.

The mini has built-in ethernet but does NOT have an Internet connection. You have to provide that, by arrangement with your Internet service provider.

Just because you have built-in ethernet, does not mean you have an internet connection.
Ditto with a wireless capability, you still have to have someone to talk to.

You seem to have missed the meagre attempt at levity. Happy

P

Collapse -
I agree, "you still have to have someone to talk to"

In reply to: Read it again

but I just wanted to be clear and point out the various ways that internet connection could be made.

Collapse -
(NT) and built-in 802.11g (wireless)

Collapse -
im not convinced

im having trouble with this. the mac mini doesnt even have a video card. i also dont think 2 ghz on a mac is the same thing as 2 ghz on a pc. the fastest the imac goes up to is 2.33 ghz but its faster than some 3 ghz single core PCs.

is anyone here a pc gamer on their macs?

Collapse -
The MacMini has video capabilities

In reply to: im not convinced

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

Just because it isn't a card in a PCI slot that is removable or replaceable does not make it anything less... Extending your comment further, the Mac mini does not have a network card or an audio card either - yet it provides full support for networking (wired and wireless) and audio (including optical)... and USB and FireWire for peripheral (and additional network) connectivity.

Now, the video support may not be what you need to support the complex graphics of high-end games... but it certainly does support video... quite nicely.

As for the CPU clockspeed - call it what ever you want - but it is still a CPU cycle on an Intel CoreDuo CPU... The same chip in another machine is still the same chip running at the same clockspeed. Comparing different chips (CoreDuo vs single core) is not comparing the same chip.

You *could* just not worry about it and get a MacPro tower...
Collapse -
Convincing

In reply to: im not convinced

I wasn't aware that we had to convince you of anything. All you wanted to know was if your game would play on a Mac Mini.
I'm also confused about your statement that the 2Ghz processors on a Mac is not the same as a 2Ghz processor on a PC. This despite the fact that they are both Core 2 Duo's, are both made by Intel, and are both clocked at 2Ghz. Hey, it's exactly the same chip. The difference is speed, faster on a Mac, is because the OS is meaner and leaner and is written to take advantage of the 2 cores. Windows is not.
This may be a little simplistic but, a processor with 2 cores running at 2.33GHz should really be faster than a processor with one core running at 3Ghz,

Once again, you can always keep your existing PC, get a Mac and a KVM switch. Use the Mac for real work and the PC for your gaming

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.