Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What is your security setup?

by aiglehawk / February 27, 2006 2:32 PM PST

I wonder how many security appliances people from this forum are using or their notebooks n desktops. As you increase the no of real time scanners( and other constantly running utilities not related to security), your system slows a bit depending upon multiple factors. At the moment I have installed about 6 real time scanners( in addition to other constantly running appliances that are not security related) and i feel my system realy slow( esp when I use internet--dial up victim!!).

Sometimes I feel in order to run a good securiy software bundle, we need a horse-like PC which can run fast inspite of all this load. So I thought it will be a good idea to know what sort of PC wilders, members use that runs all this stuff,-- just curious!

First I wil start from myself, I have Toshiba satelite M 70- 129, 1.73 dothan, 512, 40, 15.4, XP Home SP2`and I run NIS, winpatrol free, Prevx1R, MSAS, Antihook, Ewido trial( still guard is working), also i have a dial up monitor and about 6 yahoo widgets that un all the time.( I do intend to drop few of these in future).

Before this notebok I shared my friend,s desktop( self constructed type), Celeron 2.4, 256, 80 with XP Pro SP1 and I used to run McAfeeAv, ZA Pro, Spyware guard/MSAS and a dial up monitor on it. I did not feel it much sow( SP 1 faster than SP2 according to one of my geeeky friend-- True?).

That,s all, and I wil like to hear about your setup, security scanners etc and your experience with them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is your security setup?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is your security setup?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No one use all the utilities
by Gakada / February 27, 2006 6:19 PM PST

I used:
Win Xp pro SP2, on P-III, 256mb, 80gb...
NAV (not NIS), Adaware se, Ewido, Spybot sd, spywareblaster, ZA, MSAS... plus a little paranoia.

That's all about it .. No yahoo widget, no additional toolbar, no fancy things, etc.

Many people said that NAV is memory hungry application, NIS is more..

Its run smoothly..

Collapse -
Mine. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 27, 2006 8:39 PM PST
Collapse -
increase the no of real time scanners
by eddie11013 / February 27, 2006 11:08 PM PST

I have been led to believe, by some people on this forum, that you want only "one" active "real time scanner" or it will show you machine down. I don't know about some of the others that you have, but Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta and Ewido Guard are both active real time scanners. My system, Dell Dimension 2350, XP Pro SP2,1 GB memory, 2.0 GHz, cable modem, AdAware Se, Spyware Blaster, AVG7, Spybot, Windows Defender.
Eddie

Collapse -
Hawk, I Have Three Icons In My System Tray Area
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 12:22 AM PST

On this machine, (an XP SP2 Pro) those three icons are McAfee Virus Scan, the speaker icon, and ZoneAlarm's firewall. Although I have Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, CWShredder, Ewido, and McAfee's Stinger installed, NONE of them are running "real time" to hog up resources. I use a HOSTS file which blocks 90% of all advertising and malware sites so I don't need background programs using up memory/resources.

Generally, I turn OFF all unnecessary start up programs and services using the instructions below:

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Because the links for the "Services" are no longer functioning in the link above, use this one:

Services Guide For Windows XP

In addition, I clean out all junk files and clean up System Restore regularly as well as run Defrag often.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I've tried pretty much everything
by bglover51 / February 28, 2006 1:36 AM PST

And have settled on AVG for AV, spybot and spywareblaster/guard to stop incoming stuff, process guard and win patrol free for registry security/anti hook protection.

I scan with Ewido once per week and Adaware once per week. I scan with A Squared once per month. I'm also currently testing out SpywareCather Express, which also provides some baseline protection for keyboard hooks.

Every week I download Trend Micro's free software scanner (it definitely catches things others miss) and once every other week I do an online virus scan-- usually with McAfee's free service available to Comcast customers (not sure if they have a free scan for everyone).

I also have Spyware Doctor, but it has recently caused my processor to top out each time I open it, so I've turned it off except to do an occasional scan to check that others arent missing anything.

Collapse -
My Rather Heavy Configuration
by lateball / February 28, 2006 2:15 AM PST

My sistem is a Pentium4 1.7 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 60MB Hard Disk running on a Windows XP Home SP2.

The running items on the background are AVAST Anti-Virus (yep I would have preferred AVG but curiously it always fail to run on my PC), EWIDO with the Guard on and ZoneAlarm Free Edition. In addition to that I also have Ad-Aware and Spyware Doctor for backup, not running in the background. Additional programs are Yahoo Widgets, UberIcon, Rainmeter, Rainlendar and WindowBlinds 5.

It's only heavy at the startup, while at running common tasks and programs everything is going smoothly. But don't try to run games with this configuration, it will lag heavily. I always shutdown those programs and disconnect my internet before playing games. Or if I have to play online games, I just leave out ZoneAlarm and EWIDO on while the others are closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.