Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What is your favorite coffee or tea?

by Diane Harrison / December 14, 2004 10:07 PM PST

Can include herbal teas. Just curious as to other flavors and types out there. I'm not a real connoisseur of Starbucks and all that (no, not all of us in California go for that pretense of fancy drinks) - I just tend to order "coffee, maybe with some cream in it." But the one tea that I found particularly yummy is the Paradise tea.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is your favorite coffee or tea?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is your favorite coffee or tea?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Love the smell of coffee -- hate the taste!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 14, 2004 10:34 PM PST

Hi, Diane.

My favorite tea is Bigelow's greent tea with mint. Second favorite was Lipton cinnamon-apple -- sadly, they took it off the market, and no one else makes a similar non-herbal variety (Other than some boutique brands that cost an arm and a leg Sad )

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Bigelow makes one Dave
by Evie / December 15, 2004 12:11 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) p.s. Celestial Seasonings does indeed make one too
by Evie / December 15, 2004 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Bigelow makes one Dave
Collapse -
But that's an herb tea!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 15, 2004 9:22 PM PST
In reply to: Bigelow makes one Dave

Hi, Evie.

I need a big mug of a caffeinated variety to get going in the morning... But for grins I ran an advanced Yahoo search (cinnamon apple tea without "herb" or "herbal") and discovered that Amazon's nutrition shop now carries Uncle Lee's Cinnamon Apple Green Tea -- and I can get free shipping if I combine it with my book-buying habit!

Collapse -
I didn't think Green Tea had caffeine,
by Evie / December 15, 2004 9:43 PM PST
Collapse -
Hmmm -- maybe that's why I've been more tired this year!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 17, 2004 12:31 PM PST

I switched over to green tea because of alleged anti-cancer bennies about a year ago... Didn't see any other non-herbal cinnamon-apple teas in my web search, though Sad

Collapse -
it's an acquired taste...
by Dick White / December 15, 2004 2:14 AM PST

Never tried it as youth, never drank it in school. After graduating from college, I worked as a house painter (you know, English major...). The boss would always bring coffee for all the painters when he made the rounds of the job sites every morning. I always ordered extra cream and extra sugar to make it minimally palatable. Also tried mixing 1/2 hot chocolate and coffee for a mocha blend. Soon I got used to it, and began reducing the cream and sugar. Now I add cream only. The flavored ones (hazelnut, mint) are nice but you have to be careful - the added flavors are sometimes a cover for lousy coffee beans. I particularly like the Paul Newman blends.

dw

Collapse -
Love my.......
by Glenda / December 14, 2004 11:07 PM PST

Maxwell House French Roast and Hedley's English Breakfast Tea!
Glenda

Collapse -
Hi Diane,
by Cindi Haynes / December 15, 2004 1:37 AM PST
Collapse -
I tried to order from there Wednesday
by David Evans / December 17, 2004 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Diane,

I ordered three quarter pound portions of this one from that place:

http://www.specialteas.com/product_detail.aspx?item_no=110+04+03+93+1

Two were for gifts, one for me, lol. But the two emails they sent me have blank messaqge bodies, and the last one sent said "payment issue" in the subject line, nothing in the body. I emailed back, emailed them using the address on the web site, no reply. I called several times, no human available. Now that tea is sold out and I don't know if mine shipped. Drats.

DE

Collapse -
Yikes, DavE, and I would have recommended them
by Cindi Haynes / December 17, 2004 10:49 AM PST

Because I've ordered from them several times, and they've always sent the right order, and free samples, and always timely. I guess it has been a few months since I have ordered from them, but it doesn't seem they'd just go downhill that fast. Sad

I hope it all works out okay!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Good old Folgers ...
by Evie / December 15, 2004 1:57 AM PST

... or Maxwell House. Plain old medium roast when I brew at home. I do love a mix of Hazlenut and Vanilla flavored (the beans not with syrups) coffee diluted with regular coffee. The hubby has a "special blend" he makes me from the gourmet coffees at a local gas station. I don't ask, just enjoy! Not much of a fan of Starbucks coffee myself. I've never been into the lattes and the like, and their regular coffee tastes burnt to me.

Not much of a tea drinker. Usually when I'm sick it's a Berry Zinger with Yezenowka (blackberry brandy) or Strawberry-Kiwi with that Honey liquor (don't recall the name, comes in a bottle with a top that looks like a hive). And LOTS of lemon.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Same here, Evie
by MarciaB / December 15, 2004 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Good old Folgers ...

I drink only Folgers at home - have for many years. Away from home, I like a good strong black coffee (the kind that grows hair on your chest Happy ), but not one that is bitter tasting. A favorite of mine is one called Foglifter (there's more than one company that uses this name, but they taste different). I am not an espresso fan, and I NEVER put anything in my coffee (in my way of thinking, that's like putting ketchup on your prime rib!! Blasphemy! LOL)

I like several types of tea, but I don't drink it often.

I have a small poster that says "COFFEE! You can sleep when you're dead" Happy

Collapse -
Tea
by Dan McC / December 15, 2004 1:59 AM PST

My fav is Good Earth Green Tea Blend. They add lemongrass and it is almost too good. I go for earl grey when I need a bit more kick. Or Irish breakfast when the afterburners are needed.

I never touch coffee. You should see the exotic chemicals that are created when coffee beans are roasted.

Dan

Collapse -
When afterburners needed
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2004 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Tea

try Mcgraths Irish tea. Places like World Market usually have it. Have this with some McCanns steel cut oatmeal. It's nothing like Quaker but if you don't like it don't waste it. You can use it to patch concrete because the texture is almost a perfect match.

Collapse -
Just one cup
by Steven Haninger / December 15, 2004 2:10 AM PST

(but a large one) in the AM to start the heart and none throughout the day. Teas are good on a winter evening. There are some tasty holiday varieties out there. If they have the name of a flower or human emotion in the name, I stay away. That's the wifes stash. Our morning coffee is generally Folgers. I stock up when it's cheap. I'm not picky but my wife is very much so. I say her taste buds are going bad and not the coffee.

Collapse -
Try this...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / December 15, 2004 3:17 AM PST

Two of the best for home brewed tea Happy

http://www.sevencups.com/index.php (puer tea)

http://www.taooftea.com/shop.php3?id=&scc=2 (green tea) check others on drop down menu.

Great with homemade tea biscuit (with cranberry, lemon grinds, and raisins)

Home coffee

http://www.tulumba.com/icy_category.asp?cC=FOOD_TEACOFFEE (turkish coffee and tea) great with Turkish delight(turkish gummie bear like sweets except it not sour -- comes in different exotic flavors - pistaccio is great)

http://www.espressozone.com/miscela-doro-coffee.html (Espresso, I call it the unleaded (plain black) neatly served in a demitasse) some almond biscotti would be nice.

http://www.zaccardis.com/coffee-filter-cone.html (When too lazy to make fancy coffee - cone drip using Starbuck Houseblend coffee beans is the last resort. Don't forget the Sarah Lee Strawberry Cheesecake Happy

Collapse -
All these sounds fascinating!
by Diane Harrison / December 15, 2004 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: Try this...

A whole new world out there to try! Some really fascinating sounding choices folks here are coming up with. Time to hit Trader Joes or the World Market, I can tell Happy

But I have to ask on yours, CL, what is a "lemon grind?"

There is only one place out here that makes those wonderful tea cakes that I love so much. They are little cake squares of moist cake with a slight almond flavor, and wonderful sugar, (with almond, vanilla and lemon) coating drizzled over the top. They are great with anything!

Collapse -
All these sounds fascinating!
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / December 15, 2004 10:52 PM PST

Thanks for reminding me of Traders Joe (California's fancy store). I used to shop there when living in San Jose (two locations - Bascom Ave. & Almaden Rd.). I love the chocolate coated raspberry and orange sweets and their frozen cut up fruits -- mango. Acks! miss the place Sad

"Lemon grind" was what my mother-in-law (deceased a year ago at 80) use to say. It's dried lemon and she grinds them to add in her tea biscuit recipe or alternatively orange rind. She makes the best tea biscuit. I can never make them the way she does even if I followed her recipe. Sad And during this holiday, my husband always gets a big jar of ginger snap cookies from her (a yearly special traditional gift). First holiday without her(bless her soul) this year. I guess we'll just have to buy them from now on coz I don't do any of the bakings anymore (hassle!) Speaking of baking, I use to make the best *BUTTER RUM CAKE* (so they say), a thin slice of it is enough to drive you roof top lol --- (well...that was many many years ago, can't have it anymore).

Speaking of tea recipes, here's what I've learned from my Afghan and Paki friends. When visiting them they always offer, "Do you want a cup of Chai(tea)?

The way Pakis make tea.

***** Big pot of Darjeeling tea (the stronger the better (add more tea)), can of evaporated milk, choice of honey or sugar. Let it simmer as you go for --- cup after cup after cup as everyone chat-chat-chat away (their social style), served with jalobee (a sweet melted sugar glazed pastry) -- I can't find a sample pic for this pastry. Happy

The way Afghans make tea.

***** Big pot of Darjeeling tea (favorites of the Persians as well) with some dried cardomon and sugar. Let it simmer. For some who likes their tea a little more sweeter --- they add *rock sugar* to their cup. Served with baklava or halva.

Baklava - http://www.baklava.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PB&Category_Code=FullTray

Halva -
http://www.iranstore.com/product.asp?0=245&1=301&3=560
http://www.turkishtaste.com/sweets.html

List of Turkish delight -
http://www.turkishtaste.com/turkishdelight.html

Rock sugar
http://www.iranstore.com/product.asp?0=245&1=301&3=555

Great little gift ideas Happy

Collapse -
Oooooh! All sounds yummy!
by Diane Harrison / December 15, 2004 11:31 PM PST

I can sympathize with the frustration of not being able to make the recipes correctly! If I ever caught the burglars who stole my car and took ALL the Siberian famly recipes that were in the trunk during moving between houses, they would likely find themselves in deep, deep trouble. Don't even care about the car compared to the recipes! I'm having to guess at the ingredients and right amounts to use in recipes I grew up with and love. So far, I've had thumbs down on most of my guesses LOL.

My office neighbor's mother makes the best baklava around! Finding halva used to be very easy out here, but it seems to be carried less these days. Don't know why that would be, since it's delicious! All of these wonderful foods, and most of what you mention (all delicious), I used to be able to find in Los Angeles. Now, it's so busy with traffic and one-way streets and a real snarl of irate people trying to get places, that it takes nearly a full day to go to any "ethnic" shops to pick up things that used to be a quick drive and back home. Trader Joe's and World Market (VERY recent addition here), are the closest this area comes to having anything that would be exotic.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to try some of these ideas Happy

Collapse -
Kona coffee, green tea.
by MarkatNite / December 15, 2004 3:48 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, All!!! Great sounding drinks!
by Diane Harrison / December 16, 2004 7:17 AM PST
Collapse -
We live on Twining' Earl Grey up here
by Ziks511 / December 18, 2004 4:06 PM PST

I started on Twining' English Beakfast when I lived at home and that stuff will get you UP in the morning, but my wife introduced me to Twining' Formosa Oolong which was then a much different blend and tasted of peaches. It is now much more a fermented tea along the lines of Lapsang Souchong, of which I'm not a fan. So we migrated through trial and error to Earl Grey. But I still can' drink it after 5PM.

Thanks Diane

Rpb B

Collapse -
What do you drink in it, Rob?
by Diane Harrison / December 18, 2004 4:40 PM PST

Earl Grey has a rather strong taste I think. I am wondering how most people drink it: milk, sugar, what. I usually drink Lipton tea with just a very well squeezed lemon slice in it (Meyer lemons the absolute best!), and it is not strong flavored that way. Have Earl Grey around here, but not quite sure what to do with it.

Collapse -
It is quite strong.
by Cindi Haynes / December 19, 2004 4:27 AM PST

Hi Diane,

I think the bergemot is what I don't care for in Earl Grey. Most people I know use some milk and crystal sugar in it.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, Cindi! :-)))
by Diane Harrison / December 19, 2004 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: It is quite strong.
Collapse -
I love Earl Grey
by Dan McC / December 19, 2004 10:52 PM PST

Diane, try a few different brands. The recipes very hugely from brand to brand.

My wife likes her tea very mild and only steeps it for a minute or less. That's strong enough for her and she can use the same teabag for three or four cups. We both drink our tea black.

Dan

Collapse -
Thanks, Dan - that would help
by Diane Harrison / December 19, 2004 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: I love Earl Grey

I usually let the bag sit for a good three minutes (or more if i wander off and get busy doing something else in the meantime as usual LOL). I'll have to give it a try with only a little swim for it this next time Wink

Collapse -
Ah, check this out....
by John Robie / December 20, 2004 3:50 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!