The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What is your favorite CD- and DVD-burning application?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / January 19, 2006 5:03 AM PST

What is your favorite CD- and DVD-burning application? (and tell us why)

Windows Media Player
Acoustica
RecordNow
BurnQuick
Blaze Media Pro
Nero
Cheetah
Roxio
Other (which one?)
I don't have a burner (why not?)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is your favorite CD- and DVD-burning application?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is your favorite CD- and DVD-burning application?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Favorite DVD Burning App
by shadowca1964 / January 19, 2006 5:56 PM PST

If for no other reason, I am comfortable and most familiar with Roxio. It came preloaded on my machine and I have since upgraded it through Roxio 8. I had the Nero basic but uninstalled it because Nero and Roxio conflict if installed on the same machine. I have never installed the premium versions of Nero since.

Collapse -
nero
by anton.vanwamelen / January 19, 2006 6:30 PM PST

and why?

for it's easyness to work with, that's all....

Collapse -
Nero ALL the WAY
by kebongski / January 19, 2006 6:42 PM PST

Coz its fast and efficient!

Collapse -
Nero all the way x2
by bknowledge / January 19, 2006 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: Nero ALL the WAY

I first use it for burning CD's and now for DVD's in my current system and it work great. Quick, easy and never fails. What more is there!

Collapse -
TIMES THREE!!!
by jbjerome / January 20, 2006 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Nero ALL the WAY

Ditto above, plus I have had two burners in my system at one time, both burning simultaneousy without a hitch using Nero. It is powerful yet easy to use, advanced features but clean interface.

Collapse -
..favorite burning applicayion..
by esjarv / January 19, 2006 6:52 PM PST

is Sonic - videos (DV, music, direct copies - all what I need

Collapse -
Favorite Application
by betteguadalupe / January 19, 2006 9:52 PM PST

I use Nero because it came with my Burner. But its still somewhat confusing to me.I guess practice makes perfect..

Collapse -
Cheetah
by dan822 / January 19, 2006 6:58 PM PST

Cheetah is my favorite burner, it is so simple, fast and will do quite a few functions without errors

Danny

Collapse -
Cheetah DVD Burner
by Golem2176 / January 19, 2006 9:18 PM PST
In reply to: Cheetah

I downloaded Cheetah DVD burner a long time ago and figured out that once the trial date ended all you have to do is uninstall the program and then reinstall it. Works like a charm everytime. Happy

Collapse -
Padus Disk Juggler
by ChookNZ / January 19, 2006 7:02 PM PST

Nothing it won't do, including games etc.

Collapse -
Roxio -
by how / January 19, 2006 7:35 PM PST

I got Roxio with the computers when I bought them. I can't say it is my favorite but it does what I need to do. ..and life goes on. I thank Roxio for making it available.

Collapse -
Roxio is king
by WilliamKazak / January 19, 2006 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Roxio -

I switched to Roxio about three years ago and I am glad I did.No problems what-so-ever.Nero, which I had for years, and this goes for McAfee as well, was getting very problamatic with each new release.A friend recommended Roxio.
The only bummer is that each new edition of Roxio gets me more and more confused.They keep adding all kinds of "stuff" to their packages.

Collapse -
Roxio Stinks since WinXP
by ralfup / February 2, 2006 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Roxio is king

I had roxio 4 upgraded to winXP don't work with XP
Upgraded to roxio 5 platinum nice but didn't work with XP
skipped roxio 6 went strait to 7 this POS is worse than 4 and 5 dfw with XP I'm not about to pay up for 8 when 4 5 and 7 were so bad I have 3 machines with burners and only the one with win 98 and roxio 5 will burn cd's. Not happy with roxio. I use to love roxio even ver 3 was easy to use. Then came ver 4 and all my jewel creations went out the window. Went to ver 5 loved it but only in win 98. now I have ver 7 and all my jewel files are excrement again. Not happy camper when it comes to roxio

Collapse -
Favorite CD burning app
by fredeppy / January 19, 2006 8:48 PM PST

Let me start with, I am not into DVD burning yet, that will be changing in the near future, however. I have had a few CD-R/RW's over the years with their own software, my current drive came with Nero as software. When I am back east I use my Son in Law's computer which has Roxio. I can burn my CD's faster and easier with my Nero than any other system I have used.
Fred

Collapse -
Elaborate Bytes' Clone DVD2
by Sanj0004 / January 19, 2006 9:15 PM PST

EL's CloneDVD2 probably the best DVD writer/copier that i have used, its simple to use, and doesnt need to be set up by going through loads of settings. Its way better than the new slysloft version too, nuch more stable, quicker and easier to use.

Whats more it creates exact copies of DVD movies to Wink

Tried nero, although its quick and easy, burning DVD's can be a nightmare at times!

Collapse -
For DVD backups, I agree
by deirdrew / January 20, 2006 1:22 AM PST

I have never had any issues at all with it - does a "perfect" duplicate copy that lets me keep the original pristine and safe from my kids. I wish DVDs were in protective cartridges for handling Sad

Collapse -
(NT) Great Idea
by ncfarthing / January 20, 2006 9:50 AM PST

My Grandson tried to clean a brand new DVD by scrubbing it on the floor. Needless to say, He cleaned the Phantom up really well. He is too quick to keep up with and protection on the DVD would help.

Collapse -
Elaborate Bytes
by krachen / January 19, 2006 9:26 PM PST

Simple to use. I've tried Nero, Recordnow and a few others. EB beats them all hands down.

Collapse -
Burning software
by pingeyez2 / January 19, 2006 9:29 PM PST

I like WM10 because its as easy as drag and drop. It easily rips or adds files to the library , drag to burn list and you get close to perfect productions. Of course, this is used with songs only.

Collapse -
1 Click DVD
by Istari999 / January 21, 2006 10:51 PM PST
In reply to: Burning software

Nothing but nothing with its options is as clean, easy. I and a number of people I know have difficultly loading a coherent copy of Nero...though I really loved Nero for burning CDs. I've since been using Roxio...slow and ineligant, but at least it loads and works.

Collapse -
Favorite CD and DVD burning app
by vernmark / January 19, 2006 9:34 PM PST

For movies......oneclickpro..easy fast and great for newbies.

For everything else....Roxio..I used 5.0 years ago and hated it...went with Nero. Roxio 7.5 came with my current computer and I was impressed. Roxio has simplified itself and has become very flexable. Great software for any type of media functions.

Collapse -
(NT) What is your favorite CD-DVD burner, why?
by BobCPhoto / January 19, 2006 9:38 PM PST

I have a Mac G5 twin proceessor in which I have used Roxio Toast over the supplied Apple CD-DVD burnerr because I believe the Roxio to be much more user friendly and reliable. I have recently upgraded to v.7 and am very pleased with it. All I have to to is open Toast, the working "box" opens, slide my material into the "box" choose what format (CD, DVD - music, data, phoos, etc.), click "go" and set back and let it do its thing. When it is through (usually a very short time depending upon medium) it asks me if I want to verify, click "yes" and wait a few moments until the operation is finished, and if I choose to mount the disk I do that function and I am finished.

I have found that my supplied Apple CD, DVD burner will not do as good job on cheaper disks but Roxio Toast has never let me down. I do use the supplied player for play back as this part is very reliable. I have used the Roxio Toast product for several years and highly recommend it for storage data such as photos, music, etc. For long term storage I get the best quality disks which I can find, not the cheapies, because I want my grand kids to be able to see some their grand parents' photos, especially some of our travel photos with the different animals, snow (which we rarely have in the Gulf coast of Texas) and the interesting places to which we have been .

Collapse -
Roxio and Sony for my PC's
by WilliamKazak / January 19, 2006 11:03 PM PST

I am currently using Roxio with my Sony DVD burners.So far,so good.

Collapse -
NTI works great.
by flocust / January 19, 2006 9:40 PM PST

After having all the other CD/DVD burning software, I find that NTI offers a more stable product. Its great for burning iso files.

Collapse -
NTI has been on the leading edge for the longest of times
by Joe_Wulf / January 20, 2006 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: NTI works great.

I've been IMPRESSED with NTI and all the robust features they continue to broaden EACH new version. They have a constantly updated drive database file that can be manually or automatically searched for. They've got the LONGEST running STABLE burner that supports Romeo filesystems with the longer filenames, their ability to facilitate a variety of audio and video formats, their stability in effortlessly fostering comprehensive backups, etc...

EVERY other product has had one or more flaws that I've NEVER experienced with NTI in ALL the years I've been using it.

Collapse -
ImgBurn is the best DVD burning app
by jhotmann / January 19, 2006 10:48 PM PST

If you've ever had problems trying to burn a dvd or the dvd you burned wont play then definitely try imgburn...50+ dvds burned, 0 coasters.

Collapse -
Roxio only because of Music DVDs.
by henrywm / January 19, 2006 11:05 PM PST

I have an 1900+ CD collection that I have burned into MP3s on my hard drive. I just purchased a new Lexus GS300 with Mark Levinson audio system that does not support MP3 CDs, but does support Video DVDs (go figure?). Roxio supports burning Music DVDs that are compatible with the Lexus audio. Each Music DVD holds approximately 30 CDs. Only problem is that it crashes when burning DVD+R media on my Dell XPS-400 system with the Philips 8701 DVD drive. Burning Music DVDs on my HP ZT3000 notebook works ok.

Collapse -
iTunes, iDVD, Mac OS X Finder, Disk Utility...
by krioni--2008 / January 19, 2006 11:21 PM PST

iTunes, iDVD, Mac OS X Finder, Disk Utility...

No Mac options posted in this poll. Hmmm. Too bad.

Collapse -
Went from Nero to Roxio

and for my very, very basic applications it is by far the easier of the 2 to use.

Collapse -
For those of you Nero Geniues...
by hg.tyrael / January 20, 2006 12:14 AM PST

...go out and borrow a copy of Roxio 8 from your smarter friend and get hooked. I havent used Nero since Nero 6. Mabey I should take a page out of my own book and try the latest Nero but methinks perhaps it won't hold a candle Roxio 8. Thank You for allowing me my rant. good day folks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?