Desktops forum

General discussion

What is wrong with my comp

As you can see with my username I am relitivley new to computers, lately I have been reciveing more and more error messasges that say that things could not be read or written. My computer also shuts down when i attept to play any decent games (e g wow, fable, TF2) i was just wondering if you guys could help me out to figure out what is wrong.

My specs are:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache
Windows XP
160 gig hard drive
1 gig of ram

any help would be apreciated

sorry for the bad spelling

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is wrong with my comp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is wrong with my comp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
are you using an external (usb/firewire) drive?

In reply to: What is wrong with my comp

or a flash drive?

Collapse -
If i knew... lol

In reply to: are you using an external (usb/firewire) drive?

i am useing a wireless mouse and keyboard, I do not use a external hard drive. My coputer has a direct connection to the modem and I and do not use any flash drives.

Collapse -
Update

I also found that i get a bucket load of error messages when i play games useing the Nprotect system

Collapse -
get cpu-z and post your motherboard info

In reply to: Update

Collapse -
Give more information

To your description, it is hard to confirm what the problem is. You may say clearly about when this error message would came out, or what did you do then this message popped up.
Besides, scanning your hard drive by the antivirus software is also useful.

Collapse -
Ok

In reply to: Give more information

The messages that pop up says "Internal Driver error" and i have sacanned my PC a number of times to clear it out. the biggest problem is that my computer will freeze and force me to restart it, the only thing is it only happens when i am playing games.

Collapse -
conflict and incompatible

In reply to: Ok

Maybe the reason is that the config file and the ATI video driver are incompatible. Try the method: close other application including antivirus software. Change the file name or delete the file \cfg\config

Collapse -
Ideas/Troubleshooting

You could have a few problems on your hands but with the limited information you provided I would suggest the following.

Search for Bios Update on MOBO. If unavailable Flash your BIOS. Google how to Flash Bios if you do not know how.

Check for PC driver updates if you have a Manufactured system. Manufacturer support site should have driver updates.

Restart your PC after each update.

Once you have updated all the PC/MOBO/Component Drivers I would proceed to update to latest NVIDIA driver for your 6200 GeForce.
Nvidia should have these on their website.

Restart PC. Test.

If this fails, you could have bad RAM. You could download a ram test ISO, burn to CD, restart PC with it in CD drive and it will run a RAM test. Not fullproof but would determine whether you have a bad RAM Module. If you have more than one RAM module for the PC (IE 2 RAM Chips) you can try running with one of them, then if no improvement, swapping with the other, as an alternate test.

You could have serious OS issues, System Restore could assist here, but if the PC has no restore dates or if this problem has been consistent since you got the PC no saying what that would do. OS Recovery is next option.

Have you checked your Device Manager to see if any components are having conflicts? Not sure what Anti-Virus you run, but if you have none I suggest downloading free version of AVG. SCAN ... clean system. For malware/adware Ad-Aware 2007 (think that is a recent version) download and run/clean. Both programs available on CNET.

Try to find more out about your error, sounds too generic for me as there is typically an error code generated. Google it if you can find more details, see other peoples suggestions for similar problem.

You could have a bad Hard Drive. If you get to the level of everything not going anywhere, my typical step would be to pull your graphic card and your ram, then reinstall them. (Don't have a technical reason I do this but sometimes it just works) and to reformat your Hard Drive and reinstall your OS. If you have a ******** PC that was provided with a Partitioned HD for OS recovery/repair/re-installation, best of luck to you. My experience is that without an OS Disk... fresh reformat and reinstallation of OS is likely to have lots of hiccups.

Best of luck.

GeekInside

Collapse -
Additional

In reply to: Ideas/Troubleshooting

I thought of another possibility this morning as this happened to me with a prior PC.

After racking my brain over a system that gave me consistent problems time and time again and having swapped out components, hard drives, testing everything, reinstalling various Operating Systems I narrowed everything down to a bad memory bus on the MOBO.

I had a similar occurrence that I was constantly locking up, blue screening, crashing, significantly so when running games and higher system requirement software/apps.

As I said before, you need to find out more about your error and try to record what the PC is telling you exactly. Research that error and see what others find it pointing to.

In my case, it took roughly 3 months of on and off troubleshooting to narrow everything down to the MOBO, as it was tiresome and I had too many things to work on to spend more than a few hours of spare time on the troubleshooting. (A family and new baby can do that to you) This PC had even been sent in to manufacturer for engineer work and non one found the MOBO issue. I replaced it and the PC works like a charm now.

Just another possible consideration.

Take it for what it is worth and I would run as many tests and troubleshooting procedures before running out and purchasing new components when you could be looking at completely different problems than my situation.

Again, good luck.

GeekInside

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.