Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What is with the Hurricane Coverage?

by Evie / October 24, 2005 10:18 AM PDT

Is it REALLY necessary to have blurry/choppy live video of reporters in raincoats, standing out in the middle of the streets when trees and debris go hurtling by?

We GET it, it's WINDY!

Evie Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is with the Hurricane Coverage?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is with the Hurricane Coverage?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
But I am really amazed by how well
by Steven Haninger / October 24, 2005 10:31 AM PDT

they were able to forecast the path of the storm even days in advance. When I saw the projected path early on showing Wilma would make a sharp right turn entering the gulf and bear down on southern Fl. I said "No way!". When it did exactly that, I still said "No way!" Perhaps this lends credence to the notion these things can be steered. Ok, George, whose next? Wink

Collapse -
Yeah that track was whacky ...
by Evie / October 24, 2005 11:10 AM PDT

... they also predicted how quickly she would accelerate after the stall in Mexico was over. Must be some plot to show how competent Jeb Bush is to boost his candidacy in '16.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL
by grimgraphix / October 25, 2005 5:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
re:
by William Finder / October 24, 2005 12:34 PM PDT

They'll keep it up right up to the time one of them gets decapitated by a flying stop sign or mashed by a 2 ton falling palm tree.

Collapse -
One of the FNC reporters ...
by Evie / October 24, 2005 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: re:

... came awfully close to that happening today, as well as a different one during Katrina. I heard (played the audio on the radio) Al Roker took one for the team on the Today Show. Funniest thing was the reporter commenting on how nuts the person was who was "actually driving in this weather if you can believe it!" while he was barely audible and having considerable trouble standing and dodging debris. Absurd!!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Just the news
by Willy / October 24, 2005 1:13 PM PDT

Weather or natural events are the "wild cards" of news as anything can happen. Plus it fills yet another void in the news hungary monster of a 24x7 world. -----Willy

Collapse -
I usually have FNC on in the background ...
by Evie / October 24, 2005 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Just the news

... not really "watching" but it's background noise unless I have a good talk radio show on the internet I can listen too. I think I have a permanent optical illusion burned into the peripheral vision area of my retina of the hurricane radar animations!

Collapse -
That's how Dan Rather struck it big, Evie...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 24, 2005 1:26 PM PDT

so everyone figures it may be their ticket to New York City!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I thought he started by covering the Kennedy assassinat
by EdH / October 24, 2005 11:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
It's been like that for a long time now.
by Jimmy Jazz / October 24, 2005 1:53 PM PDT

What is it that you want to see or hear? Do you miss something? If there is something you don't want to watch just hit the power buttom on the TV or switch channel.

Collapse -
Don't you realize that it's stupid?
by EdH / October 25, 2005 8:03 AM PDT

Don't you think that we could do without it? Maybe substitute coverage that ISN'T stupid?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Reporters Wanted, Common sense not required.
by C1ay / October 24, 2005 10:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
I applaud them!
by Angeline Booher / October 24, 2005 10:21 PM PDT

I have many close family members, including my sister, scattered around the state. Also, a large number from my hometown retired there. Thus I certainly want to know how severely the areas are being impacted. Just hearing "100 mile winds" doesn't do it for me.

In addition, there are residents there who opt to "ride it out". However, some long-timers did evacuate because of what they saw on TV in the Katrina and Rita coverage.

The reporters did all they could to warn the communities on the east coast of what was coming. A picture is worth a thousand words, as the old saying goes.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
We can get the idea ...
by Evie / October 25, 2005 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: I applaud them!

... by the bending of trees and flying debris. Do we really need to risk decapitating a reporter? I've seen large pieces of stuff fly by and there is no way had it been just a foot or two left or right the reporter could get out of the way.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Yes, I do.
by Angeline Booher / October 25, 2005 7:44 AM PDT

But I suspect I'm dense.

Those reporters have a producer or two right there off camera watching for flying objects. They have made that very clear to viewers.

Just like there are unthinking people who try to surf during storms, there are those who venture out on the streets when they shouldn't. As Key West was being hit, there was a young man, obviously 3 sheets to the wind, who was dancing down the street.

Now the coverage is on the Northeaster.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Just once I'd like to see one INSIDE...
by EdH / October 24, 2005 11:32 PM PDT

Looking out a window, saying, "only an idiot would go out in that."

I saw Al Roker being blown off his feet yesterday. A reminder of how stupid network "news" is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?