Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What is this process??

by brian4xp / April 12, 2006 11:53 PM PDT

I was having trouble shutting down my Win98se system yesterday. A box came up saying that process IpcClient_wnd_2com_admanagerH was not responding and I had to tell it whether to wait, end process, or cancel. I cancelled, did CTRL-ALT-DEL and did not see this proces s listed in the task box. I then ran Norton Process Manager and could not find it there either. I then tried shutting down again and got the same box, where I told it to end process.

I have searched with several different search engines and cannot find this process (even searching for only ''admanagerH''). I've checked Symantecs website and they don't have it listed in association with a virus.

Any ideas?

(I am away from that computer now and I haven't tried another shutdown on it yet to see if that happens again. Also, since the font was ariel the I at the beginning might be a lowercase l (ell) instead of an uppercase i)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is this process??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is this process??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It could
by Blue_Zee / April 13, 2006 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: What is this process??

be related to Aureate spyware or even other malware.

Are you running updated anti-malware scanners?

First of all, download NOW this Winsock fix (FREE):
http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip
If you lose internet access after the cleanup, run this tool.
This should ONLY be used if you lose internet access.

Download Ad-Aware (FREE) from here:
http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download/
Install, UPDATE and run.
You may need to reboot and run again to clean all the nasties that cannot be deleted at once ('in use').

Also excellent is SpyBot Search & Destroy (FREE) available here:
http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_spybot.html
Install, UPDATE and run.
You may need to reboot and run again to clean all the nasties that cannot be deleted at once ('in use').
You should also apply the 'immunize' function, since it blocks roughly 9240 known 'bad' runs/apis/apps.

Even if Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D are similar, they do clean different things. You should have both of them and use REGULARLY.

An excellent anti-trojan scanner is a2 (a-squared) FREE:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
Install, UPDATE and run.

You can also install 'preventive' software that will help you control these nasties:

SpywareBlaster (FREE):
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
Prevents the installation of Active-X based spyware, malware, dialers, etc
Currently protects you against about 5600 nasties.
Advantage: no system resources used!!!
Just download, install and UPDATE.

All of them extremely useful but you must keep them UPDATED.

Suggestion: Make sure you can see all files and folders and run Ad-aware and Spybot S&D in Safe Mode.

Zee

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / April 13, 2006 10:23 PM PDT

"Itty Bitty Process Manager (IBProcMan)" - a ZIP file download and requires no installation:

I've been seeing more and more cases of infections by trojans that kill any antivirus or antispyware programs you try to use and remove them. For such cases, I created a standalone version of the 'Itty Bitty Process Manager' inside HijackThis. It should be a bit harder for trojans to detect, since it has no window caption. If they do start targeting it by filename, rename the executable before running it and you should be good to go.

A standalone version of the little process manager included in HijackThis (Misc Tools section). Shows full paths to processes, optionally shows DLLs loaded by processes. Can save the process list (and dll list) to file, as well as copy it to the clipboard. Compatible with at least Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP and newer.

Very useful for cleaning up systems infected with trojans or viruses that kill antivirus and antispyware programs.

Collapse -
THANKS
by brian4xp / April 13, 2006 11:18 PM PDT

I haven't been running any spyware detection/removal tools on that PC yet, but have been meaning to. Thank you for your suggestions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.