Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What is the worst beer ever made?

by Cyborganizer / February 10, 2007 10:54 AM PST

Answer: Crazy Ed's Original Cave Creek Chili Beer. How bad is it? I want to find out. I heard it is a putrid thick yellow substance that delivers a rancid beer taste. The heat of the peppers only makes the beer worse. Does anyone know where I can buy a bottle of it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the worst beer ever made?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the worst beer ever made?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) I heard it was Billy Beer
by Diana Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 11:00 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) nothing can be worse than Bud Lite
by jonah jones / February 10, 2007 12:23 PM PST
Collapse -
Bud Lite is not that bad.
by Cyborganizer / February 10, 2007 1:04 PM PST

Williamsburg Tavern Ale might be the worst beer I tasted. Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale is really bad too. I almost did not finish the 6-pack. I cheated by using one of the cans in a roast beef, which turned out OK. White Hawk Ale is also a strong contender. Bud Lite cannot compete because its flavor is weak and can easily be ignored. However, I cannot ignore the flavor of Old Chub beer. I tried eating food with it, but the food was never strong enough to mask this beers hideous flavor.

Collapse -
Drive on out to Cave Creek Arizona
by John Robie / February 10, 2007 1:12 PM PST
Collapse -
I am no fan of any Scotch Ale...
by grimgraphix / February 10, 2007 1:21 PM PST

... needless to say I don't care for Scotch either. Somehow I've never found the taste of burning peat very appetizing (call me crazy).

Worst domestic beer? Billy Beer was bad... during the generic brand craze when all the labels were black and white with the name of the product pasted on it there was "BEER". It was pretty bad too.

Schaffers? Natty Light? National Bohemian?

Collapse -
I despise......
by James Denison / February 10, 2007 2:17 PM PST

O'Doul's NA beer. Taste like water from canned mushrooms, but not as good.
Best all around beer is Killian's Red. No "lite" beer is any good, but Coors
light is the most tolerable. Do they still make Black Label? Last I saw it
was in the early 80's and even the drunks didn't want to buy it, even on
special. Best "cheap" beer was Schaeffer's, if they still make it.

Collapse -
Black Label Beer
by taboma / February 12, 2007 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: I despise......

James, Is made in Canada and available. Used to be brewed in Natick, MA.
Great beer for long gas spells. You could light them (the gas) on fire.
"Socity of the Blue Flames"
True! I kid you not!

-Kevin

Collapse -
After seeing the film, "Blue Velvet"......
by Josh K / February 10, 2007 11:50 PM PST

...I decided to try Pabst Blue Ribbon. Ugh.

I also think "Corona Light" and "Coors Light" are redundant.

Collapse -
"It's a strange world."--j beaumont
by WOODS-HICK / February 11, 2007 12:43 AM PST

Frank Booth: What kind of beer do you like to drink, neighbor?

Jeffrey Beaumont: Heineken.

Frank Booth: Heineken? F*** that s***! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

one of my favorite movies plus that was a favorite 'last dance, with your best girl' tune when in high school.

PBR. huge selling local beer in the day.

trivia: sponsored boxing in the 50's when I was growing up.
1st american brewery to produce 1,000,000 barrels in 1895

Collapse -
Pabst Blue Ribbon ?
by taboma / February 12, 2007 12:44 PM PST

?is on a comeback. Why!?
Also Narragansett Beer from RI. "Have a Gansett neighbor!"

I do happen to like a Gansett 16 oz.
Pretty good tasting beer. I remember 20 years ago that a 16oz. Gansett and a shot of Old Thompson whiskey cost .90 cents in the old Blue Moon Cafe on Summer St. (across from South Station and the Federal Reserve building) in downtown Boston.
Now it would cost close to $10 or $12 in downtown Boston.

I can still get a shot and Bud bottle beer for $3.75 at a local American Legion or VFW in MA.
Seems most of those costs are taxes.

What the heck is wrong with brewing your own??
Any one brew their own?
I love to taste home brew. Knock your socks off also!

-Kevin

Collapse -
Your down in Texas, right?
by grimgraphix / February 11, 2007 1:50 AM PST

A long time ago, driving through Texas in 1994 after mountain biking in the south-west, I stopped for the night and had a beer called "Tecate". It was in the bottle and was pretty good. Since that time I have only seen it in the can and it is one of the rankest beers I can think of.

Question: is my recollection off and was it the 100 degree temperature in late June that made it taste so good or was I spot on and it just has changed makers or the Can stuff is to be avoided?

grim

Collapse -
Tecate is not a bad beer at all
by Josh K / February 11, 2007 5:37 AM PST

It's very big in Tex-Mex restaurants (in the Northeast too!).

Corona is bottled piss though.

Collapse -
Maybe it's the water.
by John Robie / February 11, 2007 6:34 AM PST

Since a teenager visiting the Mexican border, was advised not to drink the water. We said ok, just drink beer. The water used in Tecate may be coming from the US by underground pipe as Tecate is made on the Mexican border about 40 miles from San Diego. Corona is made quite a ways into Mexico and is now 52% owned by Budweiser & Co.

We get the bottled Tecate and Corona here and just about every youngster (even in Las Vegas) ask for a slice of lime in the neck. That habit started a long time ago in Mexico and was done to keep flies from drinking their share rather than a making the beer go down better.

My fav beer is Foster (Oz), but usually drink bottled Bud.
Schaffers and Black Label were the usual way back when we were short (before credit cards) as it was usually on sale less than a dollar a six pack, even cheaper than our local Lone Star and Pearl, which ran about 90 cents a six pack with returnable bottles.

Collapse -
Must be the can used for Tecate...
by grimgraphix / February 11, 2007 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe it's the water.

... or maybe here in the North East we are getting the out of date stuff. Either way, it isn't as good as I remember it being in the bottle.

Best local beer?

Yuengling

The case price is cheap and up until a year or so ago you could still get it in returnable bottles.

grim

Collapse -
I also like a beer from across the OTHER border
by Josh K / February 11, 2007 10:04 PM PST

Labatt's Blue is pretty good. The only American beer I really care for at all is Sam Adams.

Collapse -
One of the best from up north
by grimgraphix / February 12, 2007 3:50 AM PST

... IMO is Molson's Canadian with the red label. The Golden and Ice are dreck.

Another good one back in the day was O'Keefe Ale and I must admit a fondness for ice cold (ice crystals floating in it) Moose Head on a hot day. Yeah, it smells like moose pee but that is what it is destined for anyway! Grin

First time I was ever in a canadian package store was back in 79. It took me a minute to figure out why they had a window showcasing different packages of the same beer. It wasn't until I saw a case roll out on the... conveyer? What ever it is called... the thing with tiny metal wheels they slide cases of beer on from the back to the counter up front. Anyway, that is when I understood what the window was for.

grim

Collapse -
JR, ever remember?
by taboma / February 12, 2007 1:19 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe it's the water.

?PICKWICK ALE, brewed in Roxbury/Boston, MA?
It was called the "Poor Man's Whiskey"
If you mixed the Ale and beer together it was called a "MUSKIE."

John, I still drink muskies. They taste great. Go into an Irish Pub and order them. Also a "BLACK & TAN."
Mix a draught Guinness Stout and an ale together.
Good tasting suds.
Now, you are making me thirsty for a muskie.

Ahh, the heck with that! I am sampling an Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale. Only brewed in Nova Scotia since 1820. You know what??Good brew! Very hard to find and purchase. Not exported. Tastes like a cream ale to me. Good stuff! Smells good also.
Now what I want is a good ham sandwich to go along with it.

-Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) best name: BLATZ ...... worst: warm
by WOODS-HICK / February 11, 2007 12:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Not being a connoisseur of beers...
by Angeline Booher / February 11, 2007 1:57 AM PST

The worse-tasting I've experienced is Coranoa and Killian's Red.(Never saw it sold in Ireland.)

But any brews made by Samuel Adams are enjoyable. As is Harp.

I'm a huge Guinness Stout fan.

But even it has its limits. Poor taste comes from:

1. The bottled kind which is pasteurized. The cans of "draft" are pretty good.
2. When poorly drawn.
3. Some stout (not Guinnness) I had in a micro-brewery. That stuff was carbonated!!!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Taste
by James Denison / February 11, 2007 4:58 AM PST

See, it comes down to taste. I've tried all the Samuel Adams varieties and they
all have one thing in common I don't care much for. To me they have a "salty" taste.
If I want something salty, I prefer to eat it then have the beer wash it down. Maybe it's
the extra hops they put in there which gives it the "bite" or "salty" taste
that I'm not too crazy about. It's decent beer. Guiness is a beer I think of
as "a meal in a beer". I'm not crazy about the widget, but it's definitely a filling
beer equally suited to kill hunger for awhile too. But, that's just my
take on them.

Collapse -
You're right. It is a matter of personal taste.
by Angeline Booher / February 11, 2007 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Taste

I reckon that is why there are so many on the market.

I like a strong taste, which I guess is why I like stout. (But not Boch or Bock!) Yes, Guinness is heavy. That's why it is sipped.

I don't care for the carbonation in beer, and the burps that go with it, nor it's diuretic effect.(Both absent in Guiinness,)

Let's see... how long has it been since I've had one. August 2006.

I had one Sam Adams in May 2006.

So, you see, I am not an expert. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Regardless the excuse........
by caktus / February 11, 2007 7:56 AM PST

people drink to get a buzz. Tast probably has the very least to do with it. Wink

Collapse -
Angeline and beers?
by taboma / February 12, 2007 2:10 PM PST

?Carrona is bad I agree. Wonder why the flies like it? I hate it!
Guiness Stout used to be a home remedy for anything that was ailing young children in Ireland for years. Kind of like an elixir or tonic. Fix you right up. Still does.
The widget is ok when you cannot have access to draught beer or ale.
My preference is always a good draught ale.
Killians is at best OK.
I was in at a brew house in Slippery Rock, PA last Nov. They had an ale called:"FIREHOUSE RED"
An ale that was fabulous to sip and drink with food that was awesome also. The brew house donated 10% of all sales to the local firehouse. The brewhouse building used to be a firehouse years ago. The new firehouse is close by. Really neat! They also made a stout that was great! Strong alcohol content.

Prefer ale rather than beer. Better and richer taste.
Light? Do not drink beer!

-Kevin

Collapse -
reply to: What is the worst beer ever made?
by caktus / February 11, 2007 7:52 AM PST

The kind that makes people act stupid. Devil

Collapse -
Nearly all of them have that potential
by Steven Haninger / February 11, 2007 8:13 AM PST

Some just lighten the wallet more while absolving you of your wisdom. Happy

Collapse -
Most beers with more than 7-8% alcohol...
by Terry Browne / February 11, 2007 2:04 PM PST

And especially the Polish and Russian ones. They taste like a beer with a couple of shots of Vodka in it! YUCK! There are exceptions though. Like a Belgian beer called Leffe Triple which has 8.5% alcohol and is very good.

Collapse -
Most beers with more than 7-8% alcohol..
by taboma / February 13, 2007 12:37 PM PST

Terry, That brew house in Slippery Rock, PA had one ale that was 11.3%.
They had a standing policy for only two pints per serving.
It was a fabulous brew.
Had that with a half-pound bison burger served rare. Now, that is my kind of brew house.
They also filled up growlers for all the college student throughout the day for $9. (Slippery Rock College.)

Oh, I forgot to mention the worst ale I have ever had?Ballentine Pale India Ale. Always tasted like skunk kiss. (Nice typo.) Nasty stuff and my friend and I always managed to swill this crud down while our wives were getting croaked on Pink Pussycat wine at $3.99 a quart.
George and I went skiing the next morning early at Wildcat Mountain in NH, while our wives were recouping from a hang-over.

Moral of the story. Stay away from cheap wine. Go for a disgusting India Pale Ale. You wife will never understand what is really good to drink and to prevent a hang-over! HA! :

Collapse -
So there may be another exception...
by Terry Browne / February 13, 2007 11:05 PM PST

If it doesn't have that strong alcohol taste (the taste of shots) I believe it is very good. Thanks for the sugestion, Kevin. Let's see if I can find it this weekend and give you some feed-back.

Collapse -
The Brooklyn Brewery is my favorite.
by Cyborganizer / February 13, 2007 8:25 AM PST

The The Brooklyn Brewery makes: Pilsner, Black Chocolate Stout (10% Happy ), Lager, Pale Ale, Barley wine (Often hard to find), India Pale Ale (A little bitter for my taste), Porter, Pumpkin Ale ( Happy ), and many others. The Pumpkin Ale is seasonal and I have not had the Pilsner.

Collapse -
The Brooklyn Brewery is my favorite.
by taboma / February 13, 2007 11:55 AM PST

Cyborganizer, Sounds like a great place.
I have had that Pumpkin Ale someplace else. cannot remember where right now.
The most outrageous bar that I went to was in the old historic part of Scottsdale, AZ. Some very small local micro brewers as well as their own were served. 86 separate draft lines. Very, very impressive! Next week there would be a couple of dozen new micro brewers set up and offered.
Why can't I find a place like that in MA!

If we sampled only a third of them on a given day?? can you imagine? When I first went in to the bar I had five small samples free. Four ounce samples. The owner asked me if I would like to sample more.
I could have stayed there all day. I bought two pints of a cream ale. Than everything went south. My wife returned and dragged me out of there.

Want to go beer and ale sampling? Leave the wife home!!
Just bring a seeing eye dog with you or a name and address tag around your neck. Reads: Take me home. Reward in it for you! :

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!