HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

What is the weak link in this system?

by Rammstein420 / July 17, 2008 8:46 AM PDT

I have some money to blow and want to know what the bottleneck in my computer is. i have windows vista 32bit home premium. Nvidia Geforce 8800GT graphics card. (not sure of sound card.) Super Multi DVD+RW DL w/Labelflash 4 Gigs of DDR2 Dual-Channel Ram, AMD Phenom 9600 quad processor, 500 gig hard disk. I myself cannot see an obvious choice so I was woundering if any of you had an opinion.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the weak link in this system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the weak link in this system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd say it's Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 9:15 AM PDT

If gaming is the goal, get XP SP3.

Collapse -
xp?
by Rammstein420 / July 17, 2008 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd say it's Vista.

windows xp? why is that better?

Collapse -
For gaming?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2008 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: xp?

It can be if speed is the issue. If you must have DX10 then Vista and your machine is a great solution. The more avid gamer might up the video card but that's just the "gamer" type.
Bob

Collapse -
Here's your sign
by Willy / July 17, 2008 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: xp?

XP needs 512mb-1gb of ram to run good, while Vista needs 1gb-2gb of ram. What does that tell you. Next, if a gamer system, many cures&fixes have been worked out to run with XP. Under Vista, game companies still lag in offering anything that does bring anything to a crawl and if you have Vista, its worse. Excluding DX10, Vista bonus there's not too much to brag about. XP, still remains the gamer's choice. If you're not a gamer, then either will do. However, Vista is still a resource hog no matter how you fiddle with it, IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Looks like he said 4GBs RAM ...did I read it wrong ?
by VAPCMD / July 17, 2008 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's your sign

have some money to blow and want to know what the bottleneck in my computer is. i have windows vista 32bit home premium. Nvidia Geforce 8800GT graphics card. (not sure of sound card.) Super Multi DVD+RW DL w/Labelflash 4 Gigs of DDR2 Dual-Channel Ram, AMD Phenom 9600 quad processor, 500 gig hard disk. I myself cannot see an obvious choice so I was woundering if any of you had an opinion

Collapse -
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
by Rammstein420 / July 17, 2008 1:46 PM PDT

how could you read that wrong?

Collapse -
(NT) I didn't read it wrong if you read what I wrote.
by VAPCMD / July 18, 2008 2:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I made the comparsion, reread my post
by Willy / July 17, 2008 6:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
Comparing
by sunwatcher / July 17, 2008 6:07 PM PDT

I believe Willy is just making a comparison: Vista <i><b>requires</b></i> more memory resources than XP.

Collapse -
Must have misunderstoiod ... I thought the poster
by VAPCMD / July 18, 2008 3:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Comparing

was asking for comment on a proposed configuration which included 4GBs RAM and Vista.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
suggestions
by repete_smile / July 18, 2008 1:19 PM PDT

OC the phenom 2.4 if you have a good cooling system (not stock)

set fan speed on the GeForce 8800GT to maximum, increase GPU clock by 88MHz and memory clock by 21MHz.

Get Windows XP SP3

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.